Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 296037 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #1650 on: January 12, 2018, 11:55:01 AM »
Middle one's too granddaddy for me, top or bottom for me.
maybe, but I'm squarely in that "grandaddy" age range, though...
mod in Detroit

Corduroy Underground

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: January 12, 2018, 12:14:41 PM »
Wolsey, who are a  usually bit of a "fuddy duddy" knitwear firm  are selling  a variety of quite interesting stripe-one-the-arm jumpers at a very much reduced 35 - other colours available (black,
 grey etc) .

Some other not bad knits there too https://wolsey.com/collections/knitwear?page=2

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: January 12, 2018, 12:45:34 PM »
Middle one's too granddaddy for me, top or bottom for me.
maybe, but I'm squarely in that "grandaddy" age range, though...

;D
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: January 12, 2018, 07:23:01 PM »
What do you think about these shoes? I'd gladly wear the 1st and 3rd ones (the middle ones look a bit overdone to me).

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: January 12, 2018, 09:21:15 PM »
What do you think about these shoes? I'd gladly wear the 1st and 3rd ones (the middle ones look a bit overdone to me).

They all look decent . I like the shape of the toe on the third one but I reckon the d-rings look a bit clumsy. Are these from Espana , Sydney. .

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: January 13, 2018, 11:10:24 AM »
Nah, Simon, they're from the early 60s, pictured in the mods&modernists chapter of the "Rebel Threads" book I endorsed in the books' section.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: January 13, 2018, 01:48:03 PM »
Nice one , Sydney . Are there lots of pictures in that book , l like pictures. .

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: January 13, 2018, 06:31:41 PM »
Nice one , Sydney . Are there lots of pictures in that book , l like pictures. .

You won't be disappointed, Simon, it's one of those books that you enjoy so much that you wouldn't want to reach the end, it's that good. The clothes' collection displayed is nothing short of stunning, with lots of pics of 60s modernist gear that make you drool, and some well chosen period pics too.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: January 14, 2018, 12:16:36 AM »

Aw a bit too pointy fur ma taste.  (N' ma big slabs ay meat n'aw).

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: January 14, 2018, 12:12:55 PM »
Looks like Levi's sta-prests are doing their umpteenth comeback for the upcoming season, at least thart's what the Suarts of London's fellas promise (I haven't seen the troos in the webstore yet):

https://www.stuartslondon.co.uk/blog/2018/01/09/the-levis-strauss-co-sta-prest-is-back/

TBH, I'm rather cautious about the news. Since the sta-prests returned to the Levi's catalogue some 15 years ago, things have gone steadily downhill. The first models -306 and 305 fits, if I recall correctly- were spot-on, 5 pockets, pretty slim and with a bomb-proof crease. The icing on the cake provided by very nice colour schemes, among them a POW check number that's still going strong in my wardrobe.

But after that golden age, (always excluding the LVC range, of course), sta-prests were discontinued, till they returned in a supossed 511 fit that was really too baggy. Slanted pockets, western details (sometimes), boring colours and a hard-to-keep crease didn't help either.

Last years it seemed like Levi's had forgotten the sta-prest stuff. And here's where the new 502s enter: a regular & tapered fit, far from an ideal setting for sta-prests, methink. I can't tell from the Stuarts pictures if the pockets are frog-mouth or slanted, so we'll have to wait till they sell the strides, but the fact that the colour pictured is plain black doesn't add much excitement to the comeback.