Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 349257 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #1730 on: February 03, 2018, 06:35:23 PM »
This wool Prada number could be an alternative for the River Island polos we've seen recently; that is, if you don't mind paying 700 € for it

At these prices, I bet the wool comes from the bloody Golden Fleece.
Nice shirt and i suppose they have their market . .somewhere . .

Filthy rich mods, lol?

I think I read somewhere once , that the devil wears their gear , lol?

"The devil wears Prada". Indeed, hermano, but then the devil is rolling in it! Us, mere mortals, have to do with Mango, Zara and River Island!

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: February 03, 2018, 08:46:12 PM »
This wool Prada number could be an alternative for the River Island polos we've seen recently; that is, if you don't mind paying 700 € for it

At these prices, I bet the wool comes from the bloody Golden Fleece.
Nice shirt and i suppose they have their market . .somewhere . .

Filthy rich mods, lol?

I think I read somewhere once , that the devil wears their gear , lol?

"The devil wears Prada". Indeed, hermano, but then the devil is rolling in it! Us, mere mortals, have to do with Mango, Zara and River Island!
Ah yes now, River Island you say . It is quite amazing what you can find in there . . ;D
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: February 06, 2018, 11:42:20 AM »
I'm not a Ben Sherman's buff by any means, I think they have diluted their heritage in the last decades and now are another average high street brand that offer uninspiring clothes. That said, their garments are usually decent quality and the recent batch of shirts from the archive were fairly nice.

Their new collection is -again- pretty dull, but this knitted polo looks the part, tho' I find 95€ a bit steep for it:

Essexmark

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: February 06, 2018, 01:46:23 PM »
I think Ben Sherman could do such much better GS. They have better heritage than some of the other high street "mod" brands (Lambretta anyone....?!), but in my opinion fail everytime. I just lump them in with Merc and aforementioned Lambretta-wouldn't touch them. I think Uniqlo and Zara at times have more of an idea. Sorry if I have offended any BS fans. 95 euros is a joke by the way...

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: February 06, 2018, 02:26:27 PM »
Aside from the usual issues of offshoring and cutting corners to increase profit margins, the problem with brands like BS is that if they market themselves as a strictly Mod/skin brand they are in a narrow niche, so to expand their sales base they have to step away from the narrow lines defined by their heritage and the look that drew us in in the first place. So a BS shirt which used to be easily noticeable for its style and decent quality now could be any shirt from any high street brand.

Yet in a strange reversal of irony loads of high street brands like Top Man will periodically appropriate obvious Mod imagery to promote their stuff when it suits them.

I used to visit the BS shop on Spring Street in lower Manhattan. They usually had some two tone suits in, obviously a large selection of shirts and t shirts and some good looking Harringtons in bright colours. Last time I was there a couple of years ago I got a pair of mustard chinos for $25 in their closing down sale. The fellas aid they were restructuring their whole North America business which is too bad as it was a decent shop in a great location with the FP boutique right round the corner.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: February 06, 2018, 07:03:03 PM »
I understand why you (and many of our persuassion) are disappointed with them, Mark; after all, this is the company that made available the classic Ivy League shirt to every sussed teenage in a budget, mainly in the UK. But these companies tend to lose their souls after they change hands and begin to put business before heritage. BS of course is a case in point but, as Rod points out, the mod/skin market is a narrow one and I can understand their wishes to expand that market. To me they stand in a middle path now, and maybe they should leave behind for good their heritage as a selling point and try to keep their place among the high street brands on the excusive merits of their garments. In fact I just own a couple BS ítems (pair of corduroy troos and a shirt), but they're decent quality-wise.

ross-wfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: February 07, 2018, 03:20:14 PM »
Whilst most of what is said about Ben Sherman is true, I have found their Harrington jackets to be fantastic quality for the price. At about a 1/4 of the price of Baracuta they are a great buy.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: February 07, 2018, 05:50:29 PM »
Whilst most of what is said about Ben Sherman is true, I have found their Harrington jackets to be fantastic quality for the price. At about a 1/4 of the price of Baracuta they are a great buy.

I think our Simon Bond agreed with you, but recently he complained that the last one he purchased was too baggy.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: February 07, 2018, 07:04:33 PM »

I think our Simon Bond agreed with you, but recently he complained that the last one he purchased was too baggy.
That is well and true , steak and kidney. There seem to be at least 2 versions of the Ben Sherman  Harrington.  The last one I bought was less than half price but as you say a baggier version.  With it being all cotton a hot wash and a tumble dry put it right.  .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: February 08, 2018, 11:35:47 AM »
Another historic brand that's hit-or-miss, this time from the other side of the pond, is Gant. Every season they offer some well done BD shirts, their main strength since the 50s, but the collars have been decreasing last years for no other apparent reason than to follow the misguided trends, brrrr.

Shirts aside they're a very classic clothes maker, with loads of predictable and dull garments and the odd gem poppin' out now and then (I've got a gorgeous green wool cable knit roll-neck jumper by them, for instance). The most interesting ítems in their catalogue, however, appear usually under their "youth" Gant Rugger label. It's the case of this nice cable knit polo: