Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 359458 times)

ross-wfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #1750 on: February 13, 2018, 03:22:06 PM »
Cheers Greenstreet

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: February 13, 2018, 06:42:26 PM »
Cheers Greenstreet

Mibbe buy a pipe n' a pouch ay smokin' baccy wi' the money ye save?

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: February 13, 2018, 07:35:08 PM »

I do like that , Sydney but I would prefer to have no pockets (Mods, eh?) . None of my cadi's have pockets on them . .

C'mon, Simon, pockets are very useful for shades and fags (tho' I think you got rid of those nasty vices, lol)
Did we not discuss this already ? I believe that pockets on a cardi make me look like an old man (the stripe would negate that to some extent). .
I get that the pockets would have a use for some. I used to like shirts with a chest pocket for keeping my ciggies in but all my smoking days are behind me now , I know I will never smoke again . .

A cardi wi' pockets wid entitle ye tae take up smokin' a pipe.

Probably worth considerin'.

Pipe smoking in public is something that has now disappeared . .

I remember when I was younger , if you went a trip doon the water on the Waverley for instance , there would always been an old fella with a pipe , shirt and tie , sports jacket and flannel , flat cap and a pipe . .his rotund mrs would usually be handing him a cuppa from a thermos flask. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: February 14, 2018, 12:07:08 PM »

Pipe smoking in public is something that has now disappeared . .

I remember when I was younger , if you went a trip doon the water on the Waverley for instance , there would always been an old fella with a pipe , shirt and tie , sports jacket and flannel , flat cap and a pipe . .his rotund mrs would usually be handing him a cuppa from a thermos flask. .

Same here, I don't usually see as many pipe smokers as when I was young. Same goes with mods, lol.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: February 14, 2018, 01:18:38 PM »
I'd agree and I think fellas like us are the cause of it! When I was a kid blokes over say 40 were like proper 'grown up men' and anyone over 50 was ' an old geezer' both groups potential pipe smokers and cardigan wearers.  However now blokes of those sort of age groups are still on scooters, going to gigs and getting beered up, fighting at football matches, trying to wear skinny jeans or tracksuits, Snap Chatting, Facebooking and all the rest of the stuff that we see across our nation. When I was a kid in the 60s and 70s we would likely have been dozing in an armchair, pottering around in the garden or bird-watching or something. Things have changed for sure.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: February 14, 2018, 04:00:40 PM »
I'd agree and I think fellas like us are the cause of it! When I was a kid blokes over say 40 were like proper 'grown up men' and anyone over 50 was ' an old geezer' both groups potential pipe smokers and cardigan wearers.  However now blokes of those sort of age groups are still on scooters, going to gigs and getting beered up, fighting at football matches, trying to wear skinny jeans or tracksuits, Snap Chatting, Facebooking and all the rest of the stuff that we see across our nation. When I was a kid in the 60s and 70s we would likely have been dozing in an armchair, pottering around in the garden or bird-watching or something. Things have changed for sure.

Smokin' a pipe never stopped Popeye the Sailor Man fae fightin'.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: February 14, 2018, 06:42:19 PM »

Indeed , Martin . Sounds fairly accurate .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: February 15, 2018, 10:16:55 AM »

Many blokes our age want to remain teenagers till their bodies give out. From a sociological point of view, in the last 60 years adolescence has taken centre stage as never before in mankind history, and our "baby boomers" generation has been totally inmersed in the myths of youth pop culture. Who can blame us for not wishing to grow up? As Pete Brown wisely put it: "Things May Come And Things May Go, But The Art School Dance Goes On Forever".

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: February 15, 2018, 12:51:26 PM »

Many blokes our age want to remain teenagers till their bodies give out. From a sociological point of view, in the last 60 years adolescence has taken centre stage as never before in mankind history, and our "baby boomers" generation has been totally inmersed in the myths of youth pop culture. Who can blame us for not wishing to grow up? As Pete Brown wisely put it: "Things May Come And Things May Go, But The Art School Dance Goes On Forever".

There's a difference from dressing "youthful", and dressing like you're still a "youth",... I see those photos of scooter rallies, with people my age that look like they've raided the prop room of "Quadrophenia".... not a good look, IMO.
mod in Detroit

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: February 15, 2018, 01:17:47 PM »
Guys yeah I'd agree with all of you. Certainly seems blokes who follow any style who are of our kind of age (I'm guessing 40-60 year olds) seem intent on hanging on to a bit of their youth and elements of what they were into as youngsters perhaps more so than similarly aged guys did when we were teenagers. The well named 'Comedy Mod' that I think Mike refers too are simply poorly dressed blokes with little idea. You see that at football or amongst other groups. I'm sure there are Comedy Teds, Comedy Casuals and certainly seen a few Comedy Skins in my time. As long as they mean no harm I'm fine with them but as we have discussed so many times I can't grasp how they don't have the capacity to see what is appropriate to their shape and age like others seem able to. I guess it is horses for courses and like I say as long as they don't bother me I'm fine.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:31:01 PM by Martin G »