Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 621978 times)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #2620 on: February 13, 2020, 05:24:58 PM »
I was referring just to the knitted polos and a couple camp collar shirts, the BD shirts also leave me cold, as the jackets.
Maybe it's an American thing GS, but Polos' with graphic patterns and camp collar shirts always remind me of the 50's. There was an "American Graffiti" revival here around the same time the UK had a MOD revival. I just can't wear the stuff w/o linking the 2. Plus the older guys over here still into the Hot Rods  always slip into those clothes before heading out to the Car meet ups... ::)
Yeah , l tend to think of the camp collar as an American thing
I have owned two this lifetime,  one as a kid in the 6ts and one l bought in the 8ts .
I love the film American Graffiti and have seen the hot rod thing on trips to USA but it is not my personal style . .
I still look forward to my next trip to the States as l think it is a great place with very friendly people , especially when they hear my accent.  .
Yeah Simon. I concur, MOST of us are friendly (I'm not going to talk about the president's supporters  ;))
and welcoming to everyone...
The punk/new wave was heavily influenced by a "back to basics" aesthetic rooted by 50's style Rn'R. So, "cabana" shirts etc., were a thing. The hot rodders ("Greasers"
our terminology for "Rockers) are still favoring that look.
Not saying it's bad, just not for me.
Yeah, about the "accent". Can someone teach me that?  ;D

Och aye , nae bother big man . . ye wid need to learn the lingo an aw or it widnae sound richt . . ken?
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: February 13, 2020, 06:01:54 PM »

So in the final analysis , the camp collar wouldn't look out of place in a rainy Scottish Summer , it is purely personal preference as they can look smart . My grandmother used to have a pic on her mantlepiece  of my grandfather wearing a military style camp collar that looked smart - he was stationed in the Far-East during the war with the RAF- and was being worn in a hot climate obviously but more and more nowadays , people wear stuff that looks less and less appropriate. .

I've been taught since childhood (so it has little to do with my later "mod" learning curve) that an essential part of elegance is dressing suitably for each occasion. But that's obviously a thing of the past (not for us, mind you)

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: February 13, 2020, 08:22:07 PM »
You are right mi hermano. Even as a keen cyclist,  l would not dream of wearing shorts until about +14c below that temp one is losing energy as the body tries to keep the legs warm

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: February 14, 2020, 11:26:19 AM »
Back to track, with two nose-bleeding priced items:

This polo has all the details right, from the substantial collar to the textured fabric, but 550!!

While this camp collar shirt will be surely more controversial, but it's quite understated and wearable, imo. Again it belongs to the "500 " club sadly:

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: February 14, 2020, 12:55:08 PM »
The first one does good though not to my personal taste. The second one looks like a bowling shirt to me and despite being a huge Lebowski fan personally,  l don't roll . .

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2625 on: February 14, 2020, 05:02:17 PM »
The first one does good though not to my personal taste. The second one looks like a bowling shirt to me and despite being a huge Lebowski fan personally,  l don't roll . .

Yes, Simon, it certainly looks like a bowling shirt of sorts, only more discreet.

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: February 15, 2020, 12:48:00 PM »
I like both those tops but bloody hell, 550 quid, that's what I paid for my last car!!!  :o
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: February 15, 2020, 04:14:23 PM »
I like both those tops but bloody hell, 550 quid, that's what I paid for my last car!!!  :o

Far from my price threshold for a polo or a shirt, Nick.

Lord Mulberry

• Absolute Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: February 16, 2020, 08:48:59 AM »
Like the loop shirt
Do it well

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: February 16, 2020, 10:24:50 AM »
This linen/cotton polo is another nice addition for the Summer season (courage, gents, it'll arrive!), but at a much more affordable price: