Author Topic: Recent vinyl purchases  (Read 67819 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Recent vinyl purchases
« Reply #240 on: February 13, 2020, 03:08:39 PM »
Lee Fields and the Expressions "It Rains Love"
Michael Kiwanuka
Stevie Wonder "Talking Book"
Bob Seger System (Ever since I heard Tarantino use Ramblin' Gamblin' Man in "...Hollywood", I'm reminded I never had a copy of that record which was BIG on local CKLW-AM radio in the late 60's here...right between the Brit Invasion and Motown)

"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 13, 2020, 05:49:03 PM »
Michael Kiwanuka
Bob Seger System (Ever since I heard Tarantino use Ramblin' Gamblin' Man in "...Hollywood", I'm reminded I never had a copy of that record which was BIG on local CKLW-AM radio in the late 60's here...right between the Brit Invasion and Motown)

Got that Seger's record since many years ago, nice psychedelic/blue-eyed soul effort. Not the best in the canon (that award should go to the first Sons of Champlin album or/and Doug Sahm & co's "Honkey Blues" LP.), but still great music.

Rocketman

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2020, 09:58:31 PM »
Michael Kiwanuka
   superb choices there , Bob Seger and the  Ann Arbor, Michigan  music scene have brought us some great bands/albums , the rationals spring to mind  (bob and iggy have backing credits on some their records)
https://postimg.cc/75gfw4DQ
Personally not bought much vinyl recently, last being grant hart (husker du) of which I was lucky to find a numbered (out of print) album with excellent ( fly on the wall) dvd , next week see’s the release of the undertones new best of double album got this 1 in the bag , also for kinks fans the Arthur cd/vinyl box set is bargain priced (Amazon) at mo.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 08:38:55 AM by Rocketman »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 14, 2020, 11:20:42 AM »
Michael Kiwanuka
   superb choices there , Bob Seger and the  Ann Arbor, Michigan  music scene have brought us some great bands/albums , the rationals spring to mind  (bob and iggy have backing credits on some their records)
Personally not bought much vinyl recently, last being grant hart (husker du) of which I was lucky to find a numbered (out of print) album with excellent ( fly on the wall) dvd , next week see’s the release of the undertones new best of double album got this 1 in the bag , also for kinks fans the Arthur cd/vinyl box set is bargain priced (Amazon) at mo.

Good choices, I used to listen to Hüsker Dü a lot in the 80s and own the first Grant Hart solo LP. Of course, the Undertones are a GREAT band and "Arthur", while not "Something Else" or "The Village Green..." is a wonderful record.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 14, 2020, 12:27:35 PM »
Michael Kiwanuka

Good choices, I used to listen to Hüsker Dü a lot in the 80s and own the first Grant Hart solo LP. Of course, the Undertones are a GREAT band and "Arthur", while not "Something Else" or "The Village Green..." is a wonderful record.
The only Husker record I own is "Candy Apple Grey", but I have 2 early Mould solo LP's ... I was more of a "Replacements" fan... Still looking for a good copy of "Village Green..." "Arthur" has it's moments.
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 14, 2020, 03:33:09 PM »
I recently got rid of a lot of replacements albums, I guess tastes change...although I've been having a massive clear out and only keeping my favourite records...still have around 500...and now plenty of room to fill.

I also recently purchased village green after seeing a documentary on it a couple of years ago, but have to say now I've played it I don't really like it...strange.
Not stuck in the 60's

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 14, 2020, 05:00:31 PM »

The only Husker record I own is "Candy Apple Grey", but I have 2 early Mould solo LP's ... I was more of a "Replacements" fan... Still looking for a good copy of "Village Green..." "Arthur" has it's moments.
[/quote]

In fact the Replacements were one of my favourite 80s bands, own almost everything they recorded in their heyday, including their fab mini-LP "Boink!!". Hüsker Dü I discovered later (precisely through "Candy Apple Grey") and though I love many of their songs, Paul Westerberg and co. are still closer to my heart.

Hoxtonian

• Expat norvener
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 31, 2020, 03:12:16 PM »

Cygnus aka Philip Washington from Dallas Texas. New ep on Craigie Knowes
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=r2EgW1-rEHk

hipshaker

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 11, 2020, 03:34:34 PM »
Dexys. "Let the record show: Dexys do Irish and country soul" ....... from 2016. Bought it on the strength of Grazing in the Grass. Hated the rest at first ....... now love it.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 11, 2020, 10:52:29 PM »
Dexys. "Let the record show: Dexys do Irish and country soul" ....... from 2016. Bought it on the strength of Grazing in the Grass. Hated the rest at first ....... now love it.
It's an album that definitely grows on you . Grazing in the Grass has good video to it also. 
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!