Author Topic: Recent vinyl purchases  (Read 57515 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Recent vinyl purchases
« Reply #240 on: February 13, 2020, 03:08:39 PM »
Lee Fields and the Expressions "It Rains Love"
Michael Kiwanuka
Stevie Wonder "Talking Book"
Bob Seger System (Ever since I heard Tarantino use Ramblin' Gamblin' Man in "...Hollywood", I'm reminded I never had a copy of that record which was BIG on local CKLW-AM radio in the late 60's here...right between the Brit Invasion and Motown)

"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 13, 2020, 05:49:03 PM »
Michael Kiwanuka
Bob Seger System (Ever since I heard Tarantino use Ramblin' Gamblin' Man in "...Hollywood", I'm reminded I never had a copy of that record which was BIG on local CKLW-AM radio in the late 60's here...right between the Brit Invasion and Motown)

Got that Seger's record since many years ago, nice psychedelic/blue-eyed soul effort. Not the best in the canon (that award should go to the first Sons of Champlin album or/and Doug Sahm & co's "Honkey Blues" LP.), but still great music.

Rocketman

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2020, 09:58:31 PM »
Michael Kiwanuka
   superb choices there , Bob Seger and the  Ann Arbor, Michigan  music scene have brought us some great bands/albums , the rationals spring to mind  (bob and iggy have backing credits on some their records)
https://postimg.cc/75gfw4DQ
Personally not bought much vinyl recently, last being grant hart (husker du) of which I was lucky to find a numbered (out of print) album with excellent ( fly on the wall) dvd , next week see’s the release of the undertones new best of double album got this 1 in the bag , also for kinks fans the Arthur cd/vinyl box set is bargain priced (Amazon) at mo.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 08:38:55 AM by Rocketman »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 14, 2020, 11:20:42 AM »
Michael Kiwanuka
   superb choices there , Bob Seger and the  Ann Arbor, Michigan  music scene have brought us some great bands/albums , the rationals spring to mind  (bob and iggy have backing credits on some their records)
Personally not bought much vinyl recently, last being grant hart (husker du) of which I was lucky to find a numbered (out of print) album with excellent ( fly on the wall) dvd , next week see’s the release of the undertones new best of double album got this 1 in the bag , also for kinks fans the Arthur cd/vinyl box set is bargain priced (Amazon) at mo.

Good choices, I used to listen to Hüsker Dü a lot in the 80s and own the first Grant Hart solo LP. Of course, the Undertones are a GREAT band and "Arthur", while not "Something Else" or "The Village Green..." is a wonderful record.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 14, 2020, 12:27:35 PM »
Michael Kiwanuka

Good choices, I used to listen to Hüsker Dü a lot in the 80s and own the first Grant Hart solo LP. Of course, the Undertones are a GREAT band and "Arthur", while not "Something Else" or "The Village Green..." is a wonderful record.
The only Husker record I own is "Candy Apple Grey", but I have 2 early Mould solo LP's ... I was more of a "Replacements" fan... Still looking for a good copy of "Village Green..." "Arthur" has it's moments.
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 14, 2020, 03:33:09 PM »
I recently got rid of a lot of replacements albums, I guess tastes change...although I've been having a massive clear out and only keeping my favourite records...still have around 500...and now plenty of room to fill.

I also recently purchased village green after seeing a documentary on it a couple of years ago, but have to say now I've played it I don't really like it...strange.
Not stuck in the 60's

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 14, 2020, 05:00:31 PM »

The only Husker record I own is "Candy Apple Grey", but I have 2 early Mould solo LP's ... I was more of a "Replacements" fan... Still looking for a good copy of "Village Green..." "Arthur" has it's moments.
[/quote]

In fact the Replacements were one of my favourite 80s bands, own almost everything they recorded in their heyday, including their fab mini-LP "Boink!!". Hüsker Dü I discovered later (precisely through "Candy Apple Grey") and though I love many of their songs, Paul Westerberg and co. are still closer to my heart.