Author Topic: What do you ride?  (Read 8851 times)

Red Steve

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: What do you ride?
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 10:06:50 AM »
It's a MKII Steve but for some reason the angle of this shot does make it look taller and like a MKI, my Dad is a mechanic and he spotted it in a garage of one of his customers, he only wanted 50 and my Dad still made me knock him down to 45, probably my best ever bargain!

Now you say it, yes of course it's the MK2, the colour is the biggest give away. I think the MK1's came in yellow, orange & purple?

GoldenGaze_85

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 11:35:59 AM »
Definitely yellow & orange but think the purple was MKII. I didn't realise till years later that the guy who I bought mine off had another one in the garage, my Dad didn't tell me because he knew I'd buy both and what colour was that one, yes orange meaning MKI meaning worth twice as much as mine.

Red Steve

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 01:11:27 PM »
Definitely yellow & orange but think the purple was MKII. I didn't realise till years later that the guy who I bought mine off had another one in the garage, my Dad didn't tell me because he knew I'd buy both and what colour was that one, yes orange meaning MKI meaning worth twice as much as mine.

Just wondered, but do you actually ride it? I'd imagine it's not very stable, and going up hill must be a bit of a struggle too? I'd like one just as something to ride to the pub and back. How much do they go for (Mk1 or Mk2)?

GoldenGaze_85

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 01:33:15 PM »
Not anymore no, it sits in the corner of my bedroom now but when I first bought it I rode it quite a lot, a lot of my mates had Burners, Grifters and one had a bomber, we used to ride along the canal to the pub. MK2's are obviously cheaper as there's a lot more and they can go from around 150 upwards these days, there was a bit of a craze a few years ago when everyone wanted one and they were selling for silly prices, I was offered 500 for mine. I'd say around 150-200 for one in good condition is the average price these days.

Rocketman

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 08:58:12 PM »
New tyres and ready to roll, 90 miles planned for tomorrow. Serious training now only 6 weeks before we hit the alps.

[
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0juxxfxsj5v0lxm/Photo%2006-07-2013%2020%2029%2035.jpg

]

GoldenGaze_85

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 01:39:15 PM »
Very nice that, I've considered the Cayo for my next bike but leaning towards a De Rosa largely because one of my local bike shop stocks them. Where are you planning to ride in the Alps? I've ridden there and it's one of the most spectacular and rewarding experiences of my life, you'll love it!

Rocketman

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 09:12:46 PM »
Very nice that, I've considered the Cayo for my next bike but leaning towards a De Rosa largely because one of my local bike shop stocks them. Where are you planning to ride in the Alps? I've ridden there and it's one of the most spectacular and rewarding experiences of my life, you'll love it!

The cayo is a fantastic bike, the ride feels more assured and zippy than any other bike I've owned ,this has given me confidence to massively improve my descending .
Unfortunately I am not taking this bike to the alps (due to fear of airport/transport damage) so my trusty Scott (bad weather steed) will soon be fitted with bike racks etc.
The ride I will be doing is a raid from Genova to nice ,8 days tackling everything in our way !
I am a veteran of these rides having already completed the raid Pyrenean (Atlantic to med coast) , mont ventoux and most of the alps climbs on a previous trip (telegraph,deux alpes,alpe d'uez,galibier etc....)    Where did you ride and what do you consider the toughest ?
I will report back with photos on completion .

markrulesok

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 10:40:02 PM »

Riding a fixie too, how hip  8)

It's a hand built track frame I bought from the fella who welded it. Apparently he was british track champion on it at some point in the 80's so nice history in it too.

Would quite like to get a fully fledged road bike so I can do more than just short quick rides. Think my dad needs a riding buddy.

hipshaker

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 08:36:11 PM »
just re-entered the cycling world myself ...... first proper bike since the very late 70s! secondhand charge mixer .... (excuse the poor picture):

Cheshire Cat

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 05:16:14 PM »
My Cinelli

Old enough to know better, but young enough not to care.