Author Topic: Seen any good films recently?  (Read 49696 times)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Seen any good films recently?
« Reply #350 on: June 28, 2017, 06:00:28 PM »
"I'll be back!"

"Only in a re-run!"

Top film mate.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 29, 2017, 09:38:43 AM »
Last weekend I watched (DVD) -and enjoyed a lot- an obscure mid-60s sci-fi italian movie, "La decima vittima", by Elio Petri (who made his mark later with a more overtly political cinema). I think someone here should give it a chance.

For starters, it's visually striking. Shot in colour, it's set in a 21st century that looks suspiciously like a highly stylized... sixties! That is: Modernist buildings, nightclubs, gorgeous villas with state-of-the-art modern furniture... All that mixed with ancient Roma's more emblematic buildings' shooting. Men dress like Thunderbirds' puppets, jackets without lapels, cool sportswear with racing stripes and white shirts with weird collars, and the ladies wear stunning Courreges designs. Pop art motifs are ubiquitous.

I won't reveal the plot, but a review I've read sums up pretty well what is all about: "An italian sex farce disguised as a sci fi movie". Ursula Andress at the peak of her beauty (breathtaking, she even kills a man with a bra-pistol!) and that icon of continental style, Marcello Mastroianni (with hair uncongruously dyed blonde), star and both are superb (added points for a stunningly turned out Elsa Martinelli).

The movie's blend of light, often surreal comedy and criticism (among its targets: marriage, consumerism, religion, high&low culture...) works better than on paper, and I love that unPC and cynical mood prevalent in so many good 60s films that seems forbidden nowadays in commercial cinema.

It's dated, sure, but in a good way. Besides, it's a film full of weird but cool details, like the gladiators' fight in a nightclub before the proper dance begins, the hip jazz saxophonists improvising on two pedestals, or classic comic books becoming the literary canon of the future.

Stylish, thought-provoking and entertaining, there's a restored dual english version:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victim-Blu-Ray-Collectors-Animated-Lenticular/dp/B00I0VV8DO/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1498486680&sr=1-1&keywords=the+tenth+victim.

I used to have a copy on DVD.  I thought it visually striking but overall I was underwhelmed with it as it was style without a great deal of substance and the pace of the film slow and ponderous.  It should and could have been more exciting; there's just no tension or suspense.  It just seemed vacuous and dull.  A wasted opportunity and I had hunted about for ages to find a copy of it, too. For similar subject matter I much prefer The Running Man (yes, you've read that right!)

Good shout, Ady, I'll try to get a spanish copy of that (El precio de la muerte was its screening title here, not very accurate, innit?). Besides, Carol Reed is a guarantee and I like the starring couple (Harvey is an underrated actor IMO and Lee Remick was a first rate actress and an attractive woman).

I agree with you to a certain extent re La decima vittima. Style without substance? Well, at least you get style. The plot is so so, with a messy screenplay, but it's got clever touches too and the politically incorrect approach is an added bonus, though my wife (who liked the movie) thinks it's laughably misogynist (as lots of italian and spanish movies of the period)

Lurker

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 23, 2017, 06:38:04 PM »
Just watched for the first time in around 5 years,,, 'Elevator to the Gallows', French film noir that doesn't get much better than this...

Boasting a superb improvised jazz score throughout  by the legendary Miles Davis and fantastic late 1950s Paris by night cinematography. Louis Malle's "Elevator to the Gallows" is a dark moody film noir, with excellent direction and plot to match.

If you haven't as yet had the pleasure and this is your type of film, i suggest you seek it out.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 23, 2017, 09:20:58 PM »
Whilst it has very little to do with Mod , I went to see Dunkirk and thought it was an oustanding bit of cinema . Great photography , to the extent that we could not tell when CGI was being used . The story line is in different time lines that comes together at the end and even though a bit grim in places , very action packed and well worth veiwing. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 24, 2017, 10:25:54 AM »
Just watched for the first time in around 5 years,,, 'Elevator to the Gallows', French film noir that doesn't get much better than this...

Boasting a superb improvised jazz score throughout  by the legendary Miles Davis and fantastic late 1950s Paris by night cinematography. Louis Malle's "Elevator to the Gallows" is a dark moody film noir, with excellent direction and plot to match.

If you haven't as yet had the pleasure and this is your type of film, i suggest you seek it out.

Great movie, I watched it a couple of times years ago; a fave of my wife's youth days too, the first time she listened -consciously at least- to Miles Davis.

Louis Malle has been overshadowed by Truffaut and Godard when it comes to nouvelle vague's auteurs, but some of his first movies are at the top of my list.