Author Topic: Seen any good films recently?  (Read 162804 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Seen any good films recently?
« Reply #460 on: January 19, 2021, 06:55:30 PM »
The Small World of Sammy Lee from 1963. Starring Anthony Newley, Julia Foster, Wilfred Brambel, Miriam Karlin and Warren Mitchell.
Some excellent scenes of the Berwick St area of Soho and Wentworth St, Petticoat Lane.

https://youtu.be/PmJ7LrgcKpk

Yep, that's a cult movie, well regarded on modernist circles, and on my list for a long time.

It's one I've not seen either; likewise it's been on my list of films 'to watch' for a long time too.  I keep scanning to listings hoping that it gets an airing on Talking Pictures TV, but no luck so far.

At least it's more likely you get the chance to watch it on Brit TV, Paul. The only chance for me here is getting a DVD copy in OV, as there isn't a Spanish edition available.

Yeah, I'm sure someone on here mentioned that it had been aired on TPTV previously, so I'm hoping for a repeat showing in the not too distant future.

Out of interest, what do you mean by 'DVD copy in OV'?

Original Version, Paul. I mean, an English DVD without Spanish subtitles. I can deal with some American movies but I struggle with British accents. Best therapy for that would be visiting there and staying for a while, a total fantasy under the current circumstances  ;D

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 20, 2021, 01:36:39 AM »
The Small World of Sammy Lee from 1963. Starring Anthony Newley, Julia Foster, Wilfred Brambel, Miriam Karlin and Warren Mitchell.
Some excellent scenes of the Berwick St area of Soho and Wentworth St, Petticoat Lane.

https://youtu.be/PmJ7LrgcKpk

Yep, that's a cult movie, well regarded on modernist circles, and on my list for a long time.

It's one I've not seen either; likewise it's been on my list of films 'to watch' for a long time too.  I keep scanning to listings hoping that it gets an airing on Talking Pictures TV, but no luck so far.

At least it's more likely you get the chance to watch it on Brit TV, Paul. The only chance for me here is getting a DVD copy in OV, as there isn't a Spanish edition available.

Yeah, I'm sure someone on here mentioned that it had been aired on TPTV previously, so I'm hoping for a repeat showing in the not too distant future.

Out of interest, what do you mean by 'DVD copy in OV'?

Original Version, Paul. I mean, an English DVD without Spanish subtitles. I can deal with some American movies but I struggle with British accents. Best therapy for that would be visiting there and staying for a while, a total fantasy under the current circumstances  ;D

I could speak English for you in a rather convincing, Castilian accent . Would that be any help?
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Mo

• Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 20, 2021, 11:24:39 AM »
Not a bad film. The System starring Oliver Reed. From 64 I think. Nice opening credits on the train. A little reminiscent of A Hard Days Night. Full film on YouTube.
And my soul has been psychedelicized.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 20, 2021, 11:58:16 AM »
Not a bad film. The System starring Oliver Reed. From 64 I think. Nice opening credits on the train. A little reminiscent of A Hard Days Night. Full film on YouTube.

With the Searchers providing the title song!

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 23, 2021, 02:44:32 PM »
That's the one, Rafa 🙂

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 23, 2021, 05:38:03 PM »
That's the one, Rafa 🙂

Another one I haven't seen, Mo, and it's most unlikely a Spanish DVD version is released  :-\

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 25, 2021, 07:49:37 AM »
I watched it on YouTube

https://youtu.be/XKqvubSH0fM

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 25, 2021, 07:12:16 PM »

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 26, 2021, 02:17:49 PM »

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 26, 2021, 05:03:11 PM »
Haven't seen this yet as I'm saving it for the weekend with a glass or three of vino but looks so good.

https://youtu.be/K8vf_Cmh9nY