Author Topic: Seen any good films recently?  (Read 92579 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Seen any good films recently?
« Reply #360 on: January 07, 2019, 07:03:51 PM »
Yes, it looks pretty interesting (and nice wardrobe!), but trailer's so long that when it's done you feel you've watched the whole movie!

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 14, 2019, 03:53:29 PM »
I watched Green Book the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a good story well told about friendship, racial bigotry and ultimately optimism. Set in the 60's it is stylishly produced and has pretty good soundtrack.

Film Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC-_Gon2p9M

Soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkLimRXN6NKwjtc6KJDjZS6plMT33rm1q

Watched it last night, Mutt, thoroughly enjoyed it, too. Dr Shirley's wardrobe should probably win an award, that guy was razor sharp. A smart, often funny and well observed buddy/road movie with a twist; thought Farrelly, who's obviously better known for comedy, handle the subject really well. Cheers for the recommendation, mate
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 16, 2019, 12:09:11 PM »
I watched Green Book the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a good story well told about friendship, racial bigotry and ultimately optimism. Set in the 60's it is stylishly produced and has pretty good soundtrack.

Soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkLimRXN6NKwjtc6KJDjZS6plMT33rm1q

Watched it last night. Don't expect a great movie or a masterpiece, it's not. But it's an agreeably entertaining, well crafted and well scripted buddy movie, carried along nicely by the two main characters (though Mortensen's portrait of an american-italian working-class chum borders dangerously on caricature and Mahershala Ali's performance feels a bit forced and awkward, as if he hasn't found the right approach to the part he's playing).

The main point of interest for us then is the 1962 setting and given it's a first rate Hollywood production, it looks rather accurate (there are anachronisms but not tons of them as in Quadrophenia). Soundtrack is basically contemporary R&B (but Aretha Franklin a star in the early 60s? C'mon...) interspersed with the blend of third stream jazz Don Shirley played then, and the wardrobe, as doc stated, is top notch. Apart from the controversial southern suit (a beautiful instance of late 50s-style suit), my favourite items of clobber in the movie are:

Tony Lip's shacket, basically a short, boxy bowling shirt with side adjusters. But across the film, the character obviously has a predilection for italian (american?) knitwear, some nice some not:

Don Shirley's mustard turtleneck:

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 16, 2019, 06:28:59 PM »

Watched it last night. Don't expect a great movie or a masterpiece, it's not. But it's an agreeably entertaining, well crafted and well scripted buddy movie, carried along nicely by the two main characters (though Mortensen's portrait of an american-italian working-class chum borders dangerously on caricature and Mahershala Ali's performance feels a bit forced and awkward, as if he hasn't found the right approach to the part he's playing).

The main point of interest for us then is the 1962 setting and given it's a first rate Hollywood production, it looks rather accurate (there are anachronisms but not tons of them as in Quadrophenia). Soundtrack is basically contemporary R&B (but Aretha Franklin a star in the early 60s? C'mon...) interspersed with the blend of third stream jazz Don Shirley played then, and the wardrobe, as doc stated, is top notch. Apart from the controversial southern suit (a beautiful instance of late 50s-style suit), my favourite items of clobber in the movie are:

Tony Lip's shacket, basically a short, boxy bowling shirt with side adjusters. But across the film, the character obviously has a predilection for italian (american?) knitwear, some nice some not:

Don Shirley's mustard turtleneck:

Sounds good Sydney ( the review journo) , my mrs wants me to take her to that one. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 16, 2019, 07:24:26 PM »

Sounds good Sydney ( the review journo) , my mrs wants me to take her to that one. .

Make her happy, hermano, two hours of good clean fun assured. And let's cross fingers so Viggo Mortensen wins the best actor Oscar, as every high street brand will jump into the retro-looking knitwear wagon!  ;D

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 17, 2019, 10:29:06 AM »
I've heard this is good and certainly like the look of the clobber in the trailer. Some nice images here too fella. Will certainly grab it on DVD or whatever maybe even a trip to the pics who knows. Good review.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 17, 2019, 11:03:13 AM »
I've heard this is good and certainly like the look of the clobber in the trailer. Some nice images here too fella. Will certainly grab it on DVD or whatever maybe even a trip to the pics who knows. Good review.

Thanks, pal. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 25, 2019, 01:23:55 PM »
So! An Oscar Winner too!!!!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 25, 2019, 05:02:55 PM »
Yeah, two in fact, Mahershalah Ali won the Best Supporting Actor's Oscar too.

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 04, 2019, 05:53:43 PM »
"The Party's Over" with Oliver Reed 1963.  Forgotten about this one. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it.