Author Topic: Seen any good films recently?  (Read 88178 times)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Seen any good films recently?
« Reply #370 on: March 05, 2019, 01:58:13 PM »
Good film mate. Reed is really great in some of those early 60s things he did. Clearly showing what lay ahead of him. THE SYSTEM is another good one with some very nice clobber in it as well and the Hammer film THE DAMNED at the same sort of time. Funny I watched a SAINT the other night he guest starred in. Great in that as well.

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 27, 2019, 01:22:56 PM »
Not mod related but Captain Marvel - great sci-fi action film with a feisty woman in the lead role. Nice twists, big fights and proper special effects done well.
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 12, 2019, 12:04:52 PM »
HIDDEN FIGURES. A drama, as opposed to documentary, concentrating on the largely black group of female 'computers' working at NASA during the MERCURY 7 programme. Fantastic period and contemporary music from Hans Zimmer and Pharell Williams along with original music of the period. Some superb clothes as well as décor in the homes of the ladies. Supporting cast includes Kevin Costner who is superb as are the front-line leading ladies. Funny, exciting, moving and educational too. 100% a must watch I think.

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 12, 2019, 12:14:51 PM »
Watched it on the plane travelling to the states a couple of years ago Martin. An excellent movie mate and as you say a must watch.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 13, 2019, 11:12:22 AM »
HIDDEN FIGURES. A drama, as opposed to documentary, concentrating on the largely black group of female 'computers' working at NASA during the MERCURY 7 programme. Fantastic period and contemporary music from Hans Zimmer and Pharell Williams along with original music of the period. Some superb clothes as well as décor in the homes of the ladies. Supporting cast includes Kevin Costner who is superb as are the front-line leading ladies. Funny, exciting, moving and educational too. 100% a must watch I think.

This one passed me by when it was released, but maybe I'll watch it now after reading Martin's review.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: April 16, 2019, 12:16:14 PM »
PARIS BLUES a Paul Newman and Sidney Poitier early 60s Jazz themed black and white. Not one I was familiar with but every weekend we take a film or watch one that Max' Mum has bought. She loves her Jazz and was a club-goer in London during the 1950s so seemed up her street. To be fair it ain't great in my opinion. Struggled to be 'relevant' with mixed-race relationships, drug abuse, homosexuality and such like. Mean and moody Newman does look top class in it and Poitier is the business. Worth a look though I guess.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 16, 2019, 03:30:34 PM »
PARIS BLUES a Paul Newman and Sidney Poitier early 60s Jazz themed black and white. Not one I was familiar with but every weekend we take a film or watch one that Max' Mum has bought. She loves her Jazz and was a club-goer in London during the 1950s so seemed up her street. To be fair it ain't great in my opinion. Struggled to be 'relevant' with mixed-race relationships, drug abuse, homosexuality and such like. Mean and moody Newman does look top class in it and Poitier is the business. Worth a look though I guess.

I concur with your assesment, Martin. It's a dated and cliché-ridden film (what with the annoyingly overacting junkie musician?), but with visual charm in spades (B&W cinematography portraying jazz clubs in Paris circa 1960? that can't fail!), and Poitier and Newman were at their absolute peak as not only actors but icons. Add to that 2 gorgeous ladies like Diahann Carroll and mrs. Newman, Joanne Woodward (talk about chemistry), and some jazz geniuses doing cameos and voilà! you've got a "must-see" movie for discerning modernists.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 16, 2019, 04:05:25 PM »
Yes mate! Certainly well worth a watch for the visuals, music and clobber but perhaps strived for a little too much. I guess it was the various 'issues' thrown up amongst the plot that attracted Newman and Poitier to the project but ultimately it fails to deliver.

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 16, 2019, 05:27:10 PM »
Yes mate! Certainly well worth a watch for the visuals, music and clobber but perhaps strived for a little too much. I guess it was the various 'issues' thrown up amongst the plot that attracted Newman and Poitier to the project but ultimately it fails to deliver.
Have you seen All Night Long (1962)?
Set in a jazz club, it is a retelling of Shakespeare's Othello. Stars Patrick McGoohan, Tubby Hayes, Charlie Mingus, Dave Brubeck, Johnny Dankworth. Well worth a look, often on Talking Pictures channel.
And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 16, 2019, 06:02:09 PM »
Yes mate love it. Have the Blu-Ray. As a McGoohan fan it is one I've dipped in and out of for a while. Some fantastic clobber in it especially Keith Michell in his Madras jacket and Brookes cap too. Class well worth it for those unfamiliar Good shout mate.