Author Topic: Seen any good films recently?  (Read 97162 times)

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Seen any good films recently?
« Reply #400 on: July 16, 2019, 09:00:41 PM »
No really mod related - although ah remember chunks ay ma 60s & 70s childhood spent watchin' Laurel & Hardy films oan telly (as well as seein' a few at the cinema).  Also huv tae confess tae a family interest cos ma granddad wis related tae Jimmy Finlayson who wis yin ay thir co-stars.

Anyway, ah finally caught Stan & Ollie yesterday n' it is well worth a watch.  Tremendous actin' n' a very touchin' portrayal ay the relationship between the pair.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 20, 2019, 03:09:48 PM »

Still strugglin' wi' a back problem so watchin' some fillums.

Finally caught Green Book.

A wee bit saccharine coated in it's approach, but well acted oan the whole.  Good soundtrack n' both the male leads sharply dressed in different ways.

Well worth a watch.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 21, 2019, 06:21:00 PM »

Still strugglin' wi' a back problem so watchin' some fillums.

Finally caught Green Book.

A wee bit saccharine coated in it's approach, but well acted oan the whole.  Good soundtrack n' both the male leads sharply dressed in different ways.

Well worth a watch.

I concur with your review, amigo.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 28, 2019, 04:09:53 PM »
Just saw "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood"
I think this has to be one of Tarantino's best, 2hrs and 40 minutes and a "climax" that was over the top worth every minute...can't wait to see it again!
Soundtrack had some great 60's Nuggets, too...
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 28, 2019, 06:47:17 PM »
I think this has to be one of Tarantino's best, 2hrs and 40 minutes and a "climax" that was over the top worth every minute...can't wait to see it again!

First movie ever to get 10/10 on both IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes, apparently, can't wait to see it myself!
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 29, 2019, 09:54:46 AM »

First movie ever to get 10/10 on both IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes, apparently, can't wait to see it myself!

I'm going to give another chance to mr. Tarantino, if only cos' I'm curious about how he manages the 'Hollywood '69' setting of the movie.

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 29, 2019, 10:13:22 AM »

I'm going to give another chance to mr. Tarantino, if only cos' I'm curious about how he manages the 'Hollywood '69' setting of the movie.

From what I've read, Rafa, this film is, at least in part, semi-autobiographical for Tarantino, an homage to the Hollywood he grew up in. If that is indeed the case, then you'd hope he's gotten the details right. Maybe Mike can confirm, or otherwise?
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 29, 2019, 12:24:37 PM »
Tarantino would only have been 5/6 years old in the period in which the film is set. From what I understand the film is a kinda 'love letter' to that era as viewed through his own eyes perhaps as a kid a little older in the 1970s seeing the sort of films, actors and TV shows he uses as marker points in the movie who would have been at their peak or height of fame in the late '60s. May be a bit rose-tinted and that is understandable as we will all agree.  I'm sure if we were in his position we'd be making films similiarly but I am keen to see it. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 12:27:28 PM by Martin G »

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 30, 2019, 11:01:51 AM »

From what I've read, Rafa, this film is, at least in part, semi-autobiographical for Tarantino, an homage to the Hollywood he grew up in. If that is indeed the case, then you'd hope he's gotten the details right. Maybe Mike can confirm, or otherwise?
It's definitely a "love letter" to that time period. QT was 6 years old in '69, so it's not like he was part of the scene but Hollywood of that era was in transition from the old studio system of movie making to a new, younger generation...w/o giving away anything, let's say,  it's his "fairy tale" about that year.
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 31, 2019, 02:26:08 PM »
Released in UK mid August.  Definitely going to see this on the big screen

It's definitely a "love letter" to that time period. QT was 6 years old in '69, so it's not like he was part of the scene but Hollywood of that era was in transition from the old studio system of movie making to a new, younger generation...w/o giving away anything, let's say,  it's his "fairy tale" about that year.
And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.