Author Topic: Seen any good films recently?  (Read 97161 times)

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
Re: Seen any good films recently?
« Reply #410 on: August 01, 2019, 08:35:27 AM »
The Black Godfather on Netflix, documentary about Clarence Avant (who I had never heard of); record executive, entrepreneur and "fixer" extraordinaire. The talking heads read like a who's who of black culture spanning the last 60 years. Throw in two former presidents in the shape of Bill Clinton and Barrack Obama, and you get an idea of how much influence and reach this guy had. This review from the LA Times says it all better than I could:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-black-godfather-clarence-avant-netflix-documentary-review-20190606-story.html 

Well worth two hours of anyone's time
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 02, 2019, 05:06:22 PM »
The Black Godfather on Netflix, documentary about Clarence Avant (who I had never heard of); record executive, entrepreneur and "fixer" extraordinaire. The talking heads read like a who's who of black culture spanning the last 60 years. Throw in two former presidents in the shape of Bill Clinton and Barrack Obama, and you get an idea of how much influence and reach this guy had. This review from the LA Times says it all better than I could:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-black-godfather-clarence-avant-netflix-documentary-review-20190606-story.html 

Well worth two hours of anyone's time

Nick, watched that 2 weeks ago and while I agree with you to some extent (btw, great review), I'd warn potential viewers that it's a one-sided story, almost a hagiography that somewhat eludes the shadows that surround the main subject to present a sanitized version of his trajectory, as the role of his daughter on production duties makes clear. Anyway an interesting account of the hidden side of showbiz.

DrGonzo2411

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 03, 2019, 12:47:18 PM »
As much as I enjoyed it, Rafa, I agree that it certainly isn't a warts and all account. His association with Joe Glaser and, by extension, the mob is almost glossed over. There's a lot of Clarence's story that hasn't, or can't be told, possibly for legal reasons! You don't butt heads with the likes of Suge Knight, for example, without crossing the line. That said, it's still worth a watch, imo.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 04, 2019, 07:35:00 PM »
As much as I enjoyed it, Rafa, I agree that it certainly isn't a warts and all account. His association with Joe Glaser and, by extension, the mob is almost glossed over. There's a lot of Clarence's story that hasn't, or can't be told, possibly for legal reasons! You don't butt heads with the likes of Suge Knight, for example, without crossing the line. That said, it's still worth a watch, imo.

That's what I was talking about, Nick. His relationship with some dubious individuals isn't explored in depth, to put It mildly, and what with the "miraculous" recovery after the bankrupcy? "Searching for Sugarman"paints an altogether different picture of him

DrGonzo2411

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 05, 2019, 12:07:09 PM »

That's what I was talking about, Nick. His relationship with some dubious individuals isn't explored in depth, to put It mildly, and what with the "miraculous" recovery after the bankrupcy? "Searching for Sugarman"paints an altogether different picture of him

I need to revisit Searching for Sugarman, as it's several years since I watched it and I must admit to not having picked up on CA in that.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 10, 2019, 03:48:44 PM »
Just saw "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood"
I think this has to be one of Tarantino's best, 2hrs and 40 minutes and a "climax" that was over the top worth every minute...can't wait to see it again!
Soundtrack had some great 60's Nuggets, too...

First movie ever to get 10/10 on both IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes, apparently, can't wait to see it myself!

I'm going to give another chance to mr. Tarantino, if only cos' I'm curious about how he manages the 'Hollywood '69' setting of the movie.

From what I've read, Rafa, this film is, at least in part, semi-autobiographical for Tarantino, an homage to the Hollywood he grew up in. If that is indeed the case, then you'd hope he's gotten the details right. Maybe Mike can confirm, or otherwise?
It's definitely a "love letter" to that time period. QT was 6 years old in '69, so it's not like he was part of the scene but Hollywood of that era was in transition from the old studio system of movie making to a new, younger generation...w/o giving away anything, let's say,  it's his "fairy tale" about that year.
Sadly , we have to wait until the 16th before we get to view it on these isles . Really looking forward to this one . .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 10, 2019, 06:40:46 PM »
I think this has to be one of Tarantino's best, 2hrs and 40 minutes and a "climax" that was over the top worth every minute...can't wait to see it again!

First movie ever to get 10/10 on both IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes, apparently, can't wait to see it myself!

I'm going to give another chance to mr. Tarantino, if only cos' I'm curious about how he manages the 'Hollywood '69' setting of the movie.

From what I've read, Rafa, this film is, at least in part, semi-autobiographical for Tarantino, an homage to the Hollywood he grew up in. If that is indeed the case, then you'd hope he's gotten the details right. Maybe Mike can confirm, or otherwise?
It's definitely a "love letter" to that time period. QT was 6 years old in '69, so it's not like he was part of the scene but Hollywood of that era was in transition from the old studio system of movie making to a new, younger generation...w/o giving away anything, let's say,  it's his "fairy tale" about that year.
Sadly , we have to wait until the 16th before we get to view it on these isles . Really looking forward to this one . .
Same date here, mr. Bond, maybe a nice evening out with my wife, as the kid doesn't seem to be interested

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 11, 2019, 03:58:41 PM »

Same date here, mr. Bond, maybe a nice evening out with my wife, as the kid doesn't seem to be interested

Kids nowadays,  huh.  .

. .though my oldest is intetested so l'll probably catch it with him. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 11, 2019, 09:31:05 PM »

Kids nowadays,  huh.  .

. .though my oldest is intetested so l'll probably catch it with him. .
You're lucky, hermano, maybe he even likes the aesthetic of the late 60s, not as stylish as ten years before but definitely better than the 70s