Author Topic: Seen any good films recently?  (Read 99416 times)

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
Re: Seen any good films recently?
« Reply #430 on: September 12, 2019, 12:57:58 PM »
"The small world of Sammy Lee".  Can't remember seeing this before. Brilliant 1963 soho, Mods, Gangsters, Gambling, Girls. My kinda film.

Been on Talking Pictures TV quite a bit over the summer, Adam, great film. Anthony Newley is brilliant as the titular character.

Talking pictures is just about the only thing I watch nowadays. Glad I'm not the only one... 8)

There's another channel called Forces TV (channel 180-ish) which knocks out classic stuff. Just shown Shelley (not a huge fan, but did feature a young, pre-trout pout Leslie Ash) and they're showing Bless this House this month. How can you go wrong with a bit of Sid James?!!
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 12, 2019, 02:33:38 PM »
'Once upon a time in Hollywood' - Tarantino's latest. I saw it a couple of weeks ago so apologies if you've been to see it in the meantime. I wouldn't bother if you haven't yet. It's got two of my favourite male actors in it (Brad Pitt and Leonardo Decaprio) and by one of my favourite directors/producers so I was expecting to be able to sit back and be treated. It has a few good bits (the fight scenes) but kind of meanders around, hints at coming excitement and then fizzles out with a nothingness that made me go "Is that it?" when the credits rolled. With the money and talent he had to play with I think it should have been amazing. Pulp fiction it most definitely isn't.
For those who like Brad with his top off there's something for you but it isn't worth sitting through just for that. :)

Style wise there's some nice clothes and the cars are cool.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 02:35:48 PM by Trotsky »
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 12, 2019, 04:46:31 PM »
'Once upon a time in Hollywood' - Tarantino's latest. I saw it a couple of weeks ago so apologies if you've been to see it in the meantime. I wouldn't bother if you haven't yet. It's got two of my favourite male actors in it (Brad Pitt and Leonardo Decaprio) and by one of my favourite directors/producers so I was expecting to be able to sit back and be treated. It has a few good bits (the fight scenes) but kind of meanders around, hints at coming excitement and then fizzles out with a nothingness that made me go "Is that it?" when the credits rolled. With the money and talent he had to play with I think it should have been amazing. Pulp fiction it most definitely isn't.
For those who like Brad with his top off there's something for you but it isn't worth sitting through just for that. :)

Style wise there's some nice clothes and the cars are cool.
Sadly , l have to concur with that . It wasn't his worst movie but far from his best
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 13, 2019, 07:57:58 AM »
Yep my sentiments too. Too much good stuff going on for me to pan it but slightly empty in many areas. Worth a look for sure but a weird feeling when we left the cinema of "So that was it then yeah???"

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 13, 2019, 06:43:01 PM »
I've heard mixed reports and tbh I'm not the greatest Tarantino fan out there, but still I think I'll give it a chance, if only for the Hollywood '69 settings

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: September 13, 2019, 07:24:33 PM »
I've heard mixed reports and tbh I'm not the greatest Tarantino fan out there, but still I think I'll give it a chance, if only for the Hollywood '69 settings

The photography is good and as has been said he has brought in premium actors but the story is a bit disjointed and random at times and the plot seems thin . What Marty said about his reaction at the end was exactly how l felt too . .
Whearas , the last two cowboy stories have had gripping yarns this one sadly lacks that .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!