Author Topic: Seen any good films recently?  (Read 147813 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Seen any good films recently?
« Reply #450 on: November 22, 2020, 10:55:02 AM »
Anyone catch "Small Axe" on Amazon Prime?
Steve McQueen film dramatization of the 1968  "Mangrove Protest" trial, pretty good soundtrack, too.

Thanks for the heads-up, Mike. Haven't watched that one (that I remember, at least)

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 23, 2020, 10:34:17 AM »
Steve McQueen film dramatization of the 1968  "Mangrove Protest" trial, pretty good soundtrack, too.

In the UK, BBC1 is currently airing a collection of 5 Steve McQueen films going under the banner of 'Small Axe'. Is this the same or something completely different; seems too much of a coincidence to be different. There's more details here at this weblink if you're interested in having a look - https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/small-axe-premiere

Two have shown so far ('Mangrove' and 'Lover's Rock') with a further three to follow on consecutive Sundays (Red, White and Blue', 'Alex Wheatle' and 'Education').  I'm recording these with a view to watching them together over a series of consecutive nights.

I'd be interested to hear if the film on Amazon Prime is something different.

Edit  Upon re-reading this, it seems probable that the film on Amazon Prime is the first of the 5 films being shown currently on BBC1, as that is titled 'Mangrove' and focusses on the trial as mentioned by Mike above.  In that case, if Prime is also showing the other 4, it might be worth searching them out. 

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:00:31 PM by Chilli »

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 24, 2020, 02:15:00 AM »

In the UK, BBC1 is currently airing a collection of 5 Steve McQueen films going under the banner of 'Small Axe'. Is this the same or something completely different; seems too much of a coincidence to be different. There's more details here at this weblink if you're interested in having a look - https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/small-axe-premiere

Two have shown so far ('Mangrove' and 'Lover's Rock') with a further three to follow on consecutive Sundays (Red, White and Blue', 'Alex Wheatle' and 'Education').  I'm recording these with a view to watching them together over a series of consecutive nights.

Edit  Upon re-reading this, it seems probable that the film on Amazon Prime is the first of the 5 films being shown currently on BBC1, as that is titled 'Mangrove' and focusses on the trial as mentioned by Mike above.  In that case, if Prime is also showing the other 4, it might be worth searching them out.
Think they're only showing them one x one.  "Mangrove" was listed as "Small Axe: Season 1, Episode 1".  The description says there are 5 films by McQueen set in London in the late 1960's..
Not sure how quick they'll strea the rest. Probably after BBC airs.

(There's a doc called "The Story of Lovers Rock" not directed by McQueen up there)
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 24, 2020, 08:57:41 AM »

Think they're only showing them one x one.  "Mangrove" was listed as "Small Axe: Season 1, Episode 1".  The description says there are 5 films by McQueen set in London in the late 1960's..
Not sure how quick they'll strea the rest. Probably after BBC airs.

(There's a doc called "The Story of Lovers Rock" not directed by McQueen up there)

Yep, looks like it's the same series of films as showing in the UK.  I've not got Prime so can't double check but, as I stated in my earlier post, it's too much of a coincidence for them to different.

I've liked what I can remember seeing of other programmes/films by McQueen, so I'm looking forward to watching these.