Author Topic: Grooming  (Read 26097 times)

Red Steve

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Grooming
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 04:36:45 PM »
Interesting new thread fella. I've been wet shaving for 30 odd years, although I have a Philishave electric razor for convenience and speed too.

My "kit" is really basic: A Wilkinson Sword, hard plastic razor and Wilkinson Sword blades plus a can of whatever shaving foam the good lady finds in the supermarket....

I shave every morning, and am looking to "upgrade". Would I be better off in just trying some better blades, a decent brush & soap or would a new razor be an essential too?

Don't want to spend a fortune, but would like to see what improvement can be had for say an initial spend of £60 or so.

Thanks
Steve.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 04:54:58 PM »
Interesting new thread fella. I've been wet shaving for 30 odd years, although I have a Philishave electric razor for convenience and speed too.

My "kit" is really basic: A Wilkinson Sword, hard plastic razor and Wilkinson Sword blades plus a can of whatever shaving foam the good lady finds in the supermarket....

I shave every morning, and am looking to "upgrade". Would I be better off in just trying some better blades, a decent brush & soap or would a new razor be an essential too?

Don't want to spend a fortune, but would like to see what improvement can be had for say an initial spend of £60 or so.

Thanks
Steve.

Steve, I never had much luck with electric razors, but I blame that on coarse facial hair (or cheap razors). I had always wetshaved as well, but I appreciate the DE shave the most, the only real suggestion I would have would be to upgrade from the supermarket foam to a decent shave cream....I use Proraso, and I am sure others have their own brand that they like to use, but any of them can be had for fairly cheap. The only other expense could be a brush, but you can find a good quality one for cheap as well. New cream, brush and even a bowl can be had at a fraction of what you are looking to spend.

I also bought a couple or barbers towels to use in the shower for a hot wrap before shaving, can pull double duty by adding essential oil and really refresh you on the days you need it.
Initials B.B.

Red Steve

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 05:10:33 PM »
Thanks Brian, so you think sticking to the razor and blades I have would be o.k? I guess the razor itself is just a carrier for the blade, but had been reading that a heavier razor where you let the head do the work (and not applying too much pressure) is the way to go. My plastic W.S job is quite light, and as I've never tried any different blades I don't know if swapping would improve things.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 05:30:57 PM »
I think it would be ok, but a heavier metal set-up would be better in my opinion. You might have a small learning curve to get used to not using so much pressure when shaving, but it's short lived.

Honestly, you can start with a good cream and brush and go from there. It's the end result you want, and if you are able to get a good, close shave with your Wilkinson then I would leave it as-is. However, since Christmas is not too far off, its easy enough to put a new razor on the list :)
Initials B.B.

charliebravo69

• Modernist, Cyclist, Pissartist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 05:32:01 PM »

I kept getting distracted by the fact that the fella has a bathroom big enough to have two doors.  :o

And has nearly a quarter of an hour to complete a shave every day???? I'm done in 3 minutes!  :o

Dogtooth

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 06:54:13 PM »
Been doing a bit of research on this area - to prepare for my switch from over-priced cartridge razors.

This is good on razor blades
http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/education/double-edge-shaving/48-choosing-the-right-blade.html

Surprisingly enough - some shaving blogs see a decent shaving brush as essential to a good shave as a razor
http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/education/shaving-brush-basics/142-ode-to-a-shaving-brush.html
(Edwin Jagger do a badger hair brush for a good price http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edwin-Jagger-1EJ946SDS-Traditional-English/dp/B002QHYYR0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383763555&sr=8-1&keywords=badger+hair+shaving+brush)

There's a lot of stuff out there on shaving techniques & soaps/cream etc - personally I think a good moisturiser for skin care after the shave is important

Jonny

• Just joined
    • View Profile
    • Jonny Monk Photography
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 06:55:01 PM »
I think it would be ok, but a heavier metal set-up would be better in my opinion. You might have a small learning curve to get used to not using so much pressure when shaving, but it's short lived.

Honestly, you can start with a good cream and brush and go from there. It's the end result you want, and if you are able to get a good, close shave with your Wilkinson then I would leave it as-is. However, since Christmas is not too far off, its easy enough to put a new razor on the list :)

Definitely putting a quality shaving set on my list. You're all welcome to have a whip round to get me one of these by the way. It matches my favourite comb. As it should for a mere $920.00.

http://int.classicshaving.com/razors/straight-razors/harner-13-16-straight-razor-with-titanium-amboyna-burl-scales.html

Dogtooth

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 08:38:14 PM »
A slightly more realistic overview on the pros & cons of using a double edge razor than some I've read.

http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/double-edge-razor-guide-de/

Bandito

• “Style is the perfection of a point of view.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 09:19:34 PM »

Thanks
Steve.

A heavier razor (something like a Merkur), quality blades (you can buy sample packs to see which brand suits you), a good quality shaving cream (I also use proraso), a good brush (Taylors of Old Bond Street do a top-notch synthetic one, + there are plenty of badger hair brushes around), an alum block, and an after shave of some sort.  Might be a tad over £60.

A great place to look is Carter and Bond.
“A man should look as if he had bought his clothes with intelligence, put them on with care, and then forgotten all about them.”
- Hardy Amies

WayneK

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2013, 04:09:30 PM »
I use something completely different than discussed here. Somerset's shave oil. Have not used cream, gel or soap for years.