Author Topic: Grooming  (Read 51619 times)

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Grooming
« Reply #250 on: August 04, 2014, 11:13:07 PM »
As previously mentioned, new wash bag from Mendoza...pretty happy with this as it's not too big, not too small. Leather bag with inside zip pocket on one side and a type of strap sewn on opposite side. If anyone is looking for a new one, can't miss with this one...stylish and currently on sale.

Initials B.B.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 20, 2017, 09:05:49 PM »
The best combination I have now settled on is Feathers blades with Lucky Tiger shaving cream . The Lucky Tiger after shave is still on trial but it has no alcohol which is a bonus. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 26, 2017, 08:09:04 PM »
What's everyone shaving with these days? I've been using Derby Extras for a while now, but this last lot I've got are very hit and miss. I see Mr Bond favours the Feathers, anyone else got a favourite blade they'd recommend?
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 27, 2017, 02:16:44 AM »
I bought a qty of Astra's a while back, have had pretty good luck with them. Using them with proraso soap, but need to get around to getting a new brush this year.
Initials B.B.

DrGonzo2411

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 27, 2017, 12:49:38 PM »
I bought a qty of Astra's a while back, have had pretty good luck with them. Using them with proraso soap, but need to get around to getting a new brush this year.

Cheers, Brian. I've seen those mentioned elsewhere, might take a punt on them next time

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 27, 2017, 05:02:21 PM »

Cheers, Brian. I've seen those mentioned elsewhere, might take a punt on them next time

I used the Astras for about a year and was happy enough with them but Red Steve recommended the Feathers and I did find them to be slightly better but they are of course more expensive than the Astras . .
What I did find with the Astras was one blade one shave (turn the blade) and the Feathers are no different even though I dont think I have a particularly heavy growth. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

DrGonzo2411

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 28, 2017, 07:56:29 AM »

I used the Astras for about a year and was happy enough with them but Red Steve recommended the Feathers and I did find them to be slightly better but they are of course more expensive than the Astras . .
What I did find with the Astras was one blade one shave (turn the blade) and the Feathers are no different even though I dont think I have a particularly heavy growth. .

Interesting that you're only getting one shave per side, Mr B. My grumble is only getting two per side currently, when previous batches were giving at least two, and often three, close shaves per side. I wonder does your beard growth become more coarse and harder to shift as you get older? I've been using a safety razor now for about 5 years, and this is the first time I've had an issue with blades.

Soulstar

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 28, 2017, 06:46:25 PM »

Interesting that you're only getting one shave per side, Mr B. My grumble is only getting two per side currently, when previous batches were giving at least two, and often three, close shaves per side. I wonder does your beard growth become more coarse and harder to shift as you get older? I've been using a safety razor now for about 5 years, and this is the first time I've had an issue with blades.

Are you chopping anything new with them Nick? Assuming you're not cutting the grass with them, have sideburns got longer / thicker? Tidying them - or any thicker hair - with a safety dulls the blade right off.

I'm having the same luck as most of you with the Astras and Feathers - one use or two and that's it. I seem to go back to Derby's and  a Sainsbury's own (that I think was made by Derby, from memory) - seems hard to get a really sharp blade that lasts any time.

DrGonzo2411

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 29, 2017, 08:01:12 AM »

Are you chopping anything new with them Nick? Assuming you're not cutting the grass with them, have sideburns got longer / thicker? Tidying them - or any thicker hair - with a safety dulls the blade right off.

I'm having the same luck as most of you with the Astras and Feathers - one use or two and that's it. I seem to go back to Derby's and  a Sainsbury's own (that I think was made by Derby, from memory) - seems hard to get a really sharp blade that lasts any time.

No, Bill, I'm not, got rid of the sideburns a while back, so I'm facial hair-free bar the regular growth. Seems this is a common frustration. From memory, an e-bay seller I came across a while back does a pack containing a selection of brands. I might take a punt on one of those, see if I can find anything decent. Will report back

Soulstar

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 10, 2017, 07:19:54 PM »
Sorry Nick - got lost for a few days.
Yep, the "sample packs" are a good idea. I got some from this bunch, although mine had Derbys and Feathers included.
http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/de-razor-blade-sample-pack-1