Author Topic: Well fitted Trousers - sta-prest or not?  (Read 10125 times)

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Well fitted Trousers - sta-prest or not?
« on: November 04, 2013, 07:44:17 PM »
I really want some trousers for everyday use at home.   

I like the idea of sta-prest but worried they will either be too uncomfortable or not look right.  End up like that terrible russelll brand look.

I have quite broad shoulders and a 36/38 wasit..
Not stuck in the 60's

cba

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Well fitted Trousers - sta-prest or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 08:11:05 PM »
How about some decent chinos?

http://www.sunspel.com/row/mens/trousers/chino-stone.html

They would probably be more comfortable than sta-prest. And with the addition of a button-down and a crewneck jumper you should be able to make a living as a writer... You might even consider some more tailored sweat pants, if you keep it classic enough.

hopsack dan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 09:00:21 PM »
As someone who's had lots of trouble looking for well fitting trousers, here's my advice: Look for trousers that fit well in the waist and thigh. They should never look or feel too tight, if they do, save your money and keep looking. Avoid anything labeled "slim fit" , "modern," or "tailored," even if they do make it in your size. Avoid "stretch" fabrics; They may feel comfortable but they will make your legs look like sausages.

Next step, bring em to your favorite tailor. Have him take it up to the right length. If you like a "slimmer" look, have him taper the bottoms from the knee down. Even a half an inch smaller on the hem makes a big difference. Wear a nice shirt and bring a jacket or sport coat to try on with your trousers at the tailor shop; it helps to see the fitting in relation and proportion to items that you'd commonly wear with them.

Nothing's going to look perfect off the rack. Your tailor will add that "finishing touch."
All gold guzzlers, wallabee clarks
Young cold hustlers, obviously sharp

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 01:28:03 PM »
Thanks, as they are for around the house I think the idea of just getting some tailored might be the best way.
Not stuck in the 60's

dinoyn5

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 04:22:35 AM »
Not trying to promote here, but I've had sta prest from several places, and Jump the Gun is quite comfortable. By your post, it seems that I am the same build as yourself, so maybe JTG is the way to go. Being a bigger guy, these clothes were always a bit hard to find. The waist on JTG is a bit lower than most, but not hip hugging low rise, so they don't feel binding when worn for casual or active wear.

GoldenGaze_85

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 07:59:23 AM »
I imagine if they're for just everyday wear then consider Uniqlo. I bought a pair of their chinos and had them taken up an inch and now they fit perfect and all for less than 40 I might add. Worth considering.

Jonny

• Just joined
    • View Profile
    • Jonny Monk Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 08:14:11 AM »
Jump the Gun, once you get the sizing right are my sta prest of choice. Look great in either casual or smarter circumstance, especially with the impeccable cut which is perfect. (for me anyway)

babyshambler

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 10:50:28 AM »
+1 for Jump the Gun for the reasons stated. Nothing quite like stepping out in (or in this case, staying in) your new JTG trousers, feels mega.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 12:19:32 PM »
Just a trouble with JtG, they're dry clean only.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »
Just a trouble with JtG, they're dry clean only.

Again the frog mouth pockets of JTG are a deal breaker for me.

But if they are poly cotton then I would chance them in the wash - cold water, gentle cycle and hang to dry, press when slightly damp if needed. Can't believe that would be any more risky than the harsh chemicals of the dry cleaner.