Author Topic: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.  (Read 65545 times)

little mester

• Just joined
    • View Profile
What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.
« on: March 19, 2013, 05:00:24 PM »
I'll start by giving my review of Johnny Marr who i saw @ the sold out leadmill in Sheffield last night,we all no or should no hes a guitar legend & didnt let us down but what surprised me was his vocals live, excellent, his own stuff is very old school indie he chuckd a cover of the clash i fought the law in & brought the house down with ths smiths..light that never goes out, bigmouth,& a 10 out 10 performance of how soon is now...defo worth seeing.

Dangranger92

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 08:46:04 PM »
Caught Miles Kane on the NME last month in Birmingham, fantastic high energy performance as always.
Just booked tickets to see him again with Weller and Kasabian at hard rock calling festival.

Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 08:56:37 PM »
I went to see The Strypes on the 15th in Nottingham, brilliant gig so much energy and the music's great, definitely can't complain for a fiver. Would recommend them to everyone!

Also saw Georgie Fame back in October, i was blown away, and since it was a smaller venue it was really intimate too. If you get the chance, go and see him.

Jack.92

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 11:15:42 PM »
Saw Dexy's in Bristol last september - probably the most enjoyable gig I've ever been to. Surprisingly took to the new album pretty much straight away, so hearing it from start to finish in the flesh was brilliant. The whole thing created such a buzz amongst everyone, with the nature of it being a 'show' rather than a gig. Plus I was in the company of Mick Talbot and a few old 'classics'.

Monkey

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Picks
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »
Saw The See See and The Junipers at the 96 Tears Club in Dalston on Saturday, both bands very good. The Junipers LP Paint The Ground is quite a dreamy folksy affair but live they were much poppier - owing a large debt to the McCartney/Harrison elements of that old band. And The See See did a West Coast rock thing. Much harder than some of their records and all the better for it. Like I say, both worth seeing.

Week before I saw Comet Gain and they were their ramshackle selves. Played a few new songs all of which I'm looking forward to hearing again. A few janglers including one which referenced William Burroughs and Bryon Gysin, so naturally enough I was keen on that one in particular.
The same few words in a different order can be found at http://www.monkeypicks.co.uk Latest Posts: The Redskins, Wireless Show, The Action's Rolled Gold by Sidewalk Society reviewed.

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 12:31:46 PM »
I'll start by giving my review of Johnny Marr who i saw @ the sold out leadmill in Sheffield last night,we all no or should no hes a guitar legend & didnt let us down but what surprised me was his vocals live, excellent, his own stuff is very old school indie he chuckd a cover of the clash i fought the law in & brought the house down with ths smiths..light that never goes out, bigmouth,& a 10 out 10 performance of how soon is now...defo worth seeing.

Saw Johnny in the Limelight in Belfast last night, and I echo everything you've already said. Musically, Marr and his band were incredibly tight, and the quality of the vocals was an unexpected surprise. The encore comprised I Fought the Law (good cover), Getting Away with It (decent), There is a Light (brilliant) and a sublime How Soon is Now, which had grown men of a certain age (myself included) on the verge of tears! And he looked good too, great hair and a beautifully tailored 3 button blazer  8)
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

Gordon

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 12:47:25 AM »
Saw The Strypes in Liverpool on 16th March. Brilliant live band. Tickets where only 5. I don't think the will be that price on the next tour. lol.

RBsmallfaces

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 07:25:27 AM »
Caught Miles Kane on the NME last month in Birmingham, fantastic high energy performance as always.
Just booked tickets to see him again with Weller and Kasabian at hard rock calling festival.

I'd second that. Whenever I've seen Miles Kane I've never been disappointed! Also looking forward to Hard Rock Calling.

Saw Jake Bugg at Brighton Dome in Feb and would definitely recommend seeing him too.

DJ Penny Lane

• Host of Mod radio show, Punks in Parkas
    • View Profile
    • Punks in Parkas
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 05:08:22 PM »
I caught The English Beat last Wednesday here in Winnipeg, Canada. Great show. They were pretty on point and it was great to see so many Mods, Skins, Rudies and Punks out.. Was fun!
Host of Punks in Parkas, a weekly Mod radio show broadcasting live from Winnipeg. Podcast available at www.punksinparkas.Podomatic.com and iTunes

Monkey

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Picks
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 04:01:22 PM »
Saw Jacco Gardner at Beat Bespoke and rather reinforced my view that although talented and with a good ear for detail he isn't quite there yet and the amount of hype Shindig magazine continue to pour on him is way out of proportion. Pretty much everything is the same tempo and lacks much to stick in the head. And as a live "performer" he doesn't offer anything - by the way of charisma or stage presence - you can't get from listening to his album at home.
The same few words in a different order can be found at http://www.monkeypicks.co.uk Latest Posts: The Redskins, Wireless Show, The Action's Rolled Gold by Sidewalk Society reviewed.