Author Topic: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.  (Read 106604 times)

Mutley

• View Profile
Re: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.
« Reply #420 on: December 01, 2015, 01:57:46 PM »
Planning a trip later this month to see Dublin band Beatfink plus an appearance from Eddie Piller at the Mash It Up Club.

If you ooze masculinity, like some of us do, you have no reason to fear pink.

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 01, 2015, 03:37:43 PM »
Yes Doc , he has got nothing to prove but I think touring is the only way people like him can make decent money these days plus he has got a few kids to feed. .

Obviously as he gets older you are not going to get the kind of gig we were used to in years gone by . It isn't cheap to buy a ticket and expectations are running high .

The Who still tour as well but Roger's voice isn't what it used to be and neither is Paul's . I noticed that a couple of songs had changed slightly so he didn't have to hit such high notes . I used to always have a couple of beers before a gig but now I don't drink much so it is a bit disappointing when people throw beer into the air at these numbers , something that never happened years ago , but in general , I'm getting older too and maybe a bit jaded because I don't get nearly the same excitement at these things and along with the cost , there are not that many gigs I'd go to now.

Weller probably gets far more air time now than he got at the peak of his Jam days so , I can't see him giving up touring anytime soon. .

I'd have thought he had his money made, Si, but maybe he's still got bills to pay? I didn't go expecting a Jam greatest hits, or for him to run about like a young fella (judging by some of the comments I heard, others did), it was just the lack of spark that was such a disappointment. It's unlikely I'll go see him again, though I will no doubt buy any new material.

I saw the Who back in 12/13 doing Quadrophenia, and Roger's voice was rock solid. I didn't take in the 50th Anniversary gig for no other reason than I didn't have a spare 80 at the time. Glad I didn't, to be honest; my mate went (him and his missus got free tickets), and he said Rog's vocals were very patchy. That seemed to have been a fairly observation for that tour. In fairness, the guy's near 70, some loss was inevitable. Though I see they have at least one gig lined up in London before the end of the year. Maybe his trout farms need re-stocking??

I could never see the attraction in throwing beer at gigs, particularly amongst a mod crowd. Seemed to me to be at odds with the 'watch the cloth, moth' ethos of the original modernists. A bit like rucking on a beach on the south coast. No self respecting 'face' is going to risk ruining a bespoke suit over a rocker!!
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 01, 2015, 04:09:14 PM »
Planning a trip later this month to see Dublin band Beatfink plus an appearance from Eddie Piller at the Mash It Up Club.

Just seen a crap live recording (a cellular phone, for sure) of one song from a gig in You Tube, a mid tempo number that in spite of the hideous sound is pretty interesting, not your average soul stomper. They seem properly attired too (tho' I couldn't be sure with the dim ambience light).

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 01, 2015, 10:35:17 PM »
Yes Doc , he has got nothing to prove but I think touring is the only way people like him can make decent money these days plus he has got a few kids to feed. .

Obviously as he gets older you are not going to get the kind of gig we were used to in years gone by . It isn't cheap to buy a ticket and expectations are running high .

The Who still tour as well but Roger's voice isn't what it used to be and neither is Paul's . I noticed that a couple of songs had changed slightly so he didn't have to hit such high notes . I used to always have a couple of beers before a gig but now I don't drink much so it is a bit disappointing when people throw beer into the air at these numbers , something that never happened years ago , but in general , I'm getting older too and maybe a bit jaded because I don't get nearly the same excitement at these things and along with the cost , there are not that many gigs I'd go to now.

Weller probably gets far more air time now than he got at the peak of his Jam days so , I can't see him giving up touring anytime soon. .

I'd have thought he had his money made, Si, but maybe he's still got bills to pay? I didn't go expecting a Jam greatest hits, or for him to run about like a young fella (judging by some of the comments I heard, others did), it was just the lack of spark that was such a disappointment. It's unlikely I'll go see him again, though I will no doubt buy any new material.

I saw the Who back in 12/13 doing Quadrophenia, and Roger's voice was rock solid. I didn't take in the 50th Anniversary gig for no other reason than I didn't have a spare 80 at the time. Glad I didn't, to be honest; my mate went (him and his missus got free tickets), and he said Rog's vocals were very patchy. That seemed to have been a fairly observation for that tour. In fairness, the guy's near 70, some loss was inevitable. Though I see they have at least one gig lined up in London before the end of the year. Maybe his trout farms need re-stocking??

I could never see the attraction in throwing beer at gigs, particularly amongst a mod crowd. Seemed to me to be at odds with the 'watch the cloth, moth' ethos of the original modernists. A bit like rucking on a beach on the south coast. No self respecting 'face' is going to risk ruining a bespoke suit over a rocker!!

8)
I couldnae disagree with any of that , Doc. My son reminded me about the beer shower before kick-off but I said we would be okay and first hour or so it was okay. Towards the end a guy in front of me who looked like a Mod , threw his plastic pint tumbler as hard as he could and then looked at me . I just shook my heed. .
There should be a notice saying that people who throw beer are obviously not responsible enough to get anymore. . 8)
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 02, 2015, 09:10:06 AM »

8)
I couldnae disagree with any of that , Doc. My son reminded me about the beer shower before kick-off but I said we would be okay and first hour or so it was okay. Towards the end a guy in front of me who looked like a Mod , threw his plastic pint tumbler as hard as he could and then looked at me . I just shook my heed. .
There should be a notice saying that people who throw beer are obviously not responsible enough to get anymore. . 8)

Yes, and forfeit the right not to be tazered. Repeatedly!!  ;)
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 02, 2015, 11:33:33 AM »
I really don't get this spilling beer ritual, specially if you consider the crazy beer prices at your neck of the woods! It's not something you see often at gigs here, it wasn't common even in the wild 80s.

Monkey

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Picks
« Reply #426 on: December 02, 2015, 03:58:55 PM »
You should try seeing The Rifles. The sky filled with plastic glasses and warm Carlsberg. And their crowd call 'emselves Mods.
The same few words in a different order can be found at http://www.monkeypicks.co.uk Latest Posts: The Redskins, Wireless Show, The Action's Rolled Gold by Sidewalk Society reviewed.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 02, 2015, 05:50:46 PM »
You should try seeing The Rifles. The sky filled with plastic glasses and warm Carlsberg. And their crowd call 'emselves Mods.

It is irrational behaviour and I hate the way ones feet end up sticking to the floor . At least body surfing seems to have stopped , the last time I saw that was at a Who gig 15yrs ago . .

I reckon the Doc might have a point , regarding the tazer. . ;)

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 02, 2015, 06:34:07 PM »

. At least body surfing seems to have stopped , the last time I saw that was at a Who gig 15yrs ago . .

If you went to some gigs with bands who weren't ancient you would still see it happen. ;)
Not stuck in the 60's

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 02, 2015, 07:13:23 PM »

. At least body surfing seems to have stopped , the last time I saw that was at a Who gig 15yrs ago . .

If you went to some gigs with bands who weren't ancient you would still see it happen. ;)

;D

Yes , Let's See body surfing. .