Author Topic: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.  (Read 118290 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.
« Reply #500 on: November 09, 2018, 10:49:17 AM »
wow !  no gig reviews in the past 7/8 months...  Teenage Fanclub currently touring/residency of their entire album output , I chose day 2 @ m/c. (the best) Grand Prix/songs from northern Britain. What a show total singalong, the band have songs,hooks and harmonies that hark back to revolver/Byrdís/big star era.  (+ dad jokes and custard pie humour.... thanx Brendon)
do not miss this tour if u have opportunity as it will never again be the same again without Gerard love. love the fannieís and get in early for the brilliant dj set from records ville 60,s

I would agree their music harks back to the 6ts , with Sparkeys Dream sounding like the Who's Pictures of Lilly . Despite never being a big fan of their work l do have a couple of their albums and although Norman is the brother in law of a friend of mine , l have never seen the band or met him. I'm glad you liked the gig and it certainly sounds like it was very entertaining. 
I think l will go and stick one of their albums on . . :)

I still think their last album is a masterpiece, possibly their best (or at least it's touching for me in a very special way). I wish the tour would reach these shores, it's a gig I wouldn't miss. 

Rocketman

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 09, 2018, 01:16:20 PM »
wow !  no gig reviews in the past 7/8 months...  Teenage Fanclub currently touring/residency of their entire album output , I chose day 2 @ m/c. (the best) Grand Prix/songs from northern Britain. What a show total singalong, the band have songs,hooks and harmonies that hark back to revolver/Byrdís/big star era.  (+ dad jokes and custard pie humour.... thanx Brendon)
do not miss this tour if u have opportunity as it will never again be the same again without Gerard love. love the fannieís and get in early for the brilliant dj set from records ville 60,s

I would agree their music harks back to the 6ts , with Sparkeys Dream sounding like the Who's Pictures of Lilly . Despite never being a big fan of their work l do have a couple of their albums and although Norman is the brother in law of a friend of mine , l have never seen the band or met him. I'm glad you liked the gig and it certainly sounds like it was very entertaining. 

I still think their last album is a masterpiece, possibly their best (or at least it's touching for me in a very special way). I wish the tour would reach these shores, it's a gig I wouldn't miss.
There is a European tour next year, not sure of all the places but Bilbao is listed  (would make a great city break, bus ride to San SebastiŠn).

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 09, 2018, 04:00:32 PM »

There is a European tour next year, not sure of all the places but Bilbao is listed  (would make a great city break, bus ride to San SebastiŠn).

Good news, it would be great if they finally come to Valencia.

Rocketman

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 01, 2019, 11:29:44 AM »
Stray cats are back , tickets on sale today. hoping for a setzer solo of santo and johnnyís - sleepwalk  ( great instrumental)
 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fDvfzxVDxl8

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 31, 2019, 04:38:34 PM »
Great night yesterday with a jazz big band at Valencia's Black Note Club. An old friend of mine plays trombone with them, so along with a handful of mates I decided to give it a go, and they were great.

As you could expect for a 20 musicians aggregation the sound was huge, powerful. Besides, they did a satisfying mix of soul-jazz (including a wonderful organ-led cover of "One Mint Julep", standards, funk and soul. Two vocalists fronted them for some numbers, and while the crooning ways of the gent did nothing for me, the lady with the impossible wigs (really: one of them, not pžctured here, looked midway between Sideshow Bob's hair and a palm tree) really could sing, as she showed in a sexy cover of "Knock on Wood" that turned into a singalong by the by then totally committed audience, me included.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 14, 2019, 04:14:53 PM »
Another superb evening yesterday courtesy of soul/rock maestros Stone Foundation. While my mates went en masse to see the Fleshtones (a live institution for 40 years and counting, I admit it), I put my bet with the british band and the choice was right. It was the last stop of their spanish tour, but there was no sign of tiredness in the energetic show they displayed. On the opposite they gave it all, in an effortless kind of way but I had no feelings of power in reserve

8 seasoned musicians (singer/guitarist, conga player, horn/backing vocals/percussion section, bassisst, keyboardist and drummer) took the stage and gave the audiencie a lesson in showmanship and sheer joie de vivre. Their frontman, Neil, was in top vocal form but what impressed me the most of him is his ability to convey the passion and joy of sharing that's so essential to true soul music. Always a smile in his face (see pic below) and the sensation that he truly loves their music and the ritual of sharing it, the musical comunnion. Beautiful.

The great sound at the club and the funky inflections of their excellent repertoire -mostly songs from their 2018 album "Everybody anyone" with some tracks from "Street Rituals"- did the rest and in no time everyone in the front rows was dancing, smiling and clapping hands. Happy, magic moments that befit a band whose message is one of hope, redemption and fraternity.

Well, to nitpick a bit, I missed "Heavenly Father", one of the more touching songs of "Everybody Anyone", and I didn't spot any mod among the audience (the only couple of moddish-looking gents were by my side in the first row and later on I noticed they were english! Judging by a comment Neil did, they were in fact mates of the band)

Yours truly before the gig:

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 14, 2019, 06:12:35 PM »
Some great shots there mate. Looks like a nice intimate venue. The band are gaining more popularity here with each album and tour so the places they play are growing accordingly. Seen them a number of times over the years. To be honest I can't say I am that much of a fan but some of our crowd are so we often tag along. All great musicians though.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 14, 2019, 06:41:08 PM »
Some great shots there mate. Looks like a nice intimate venue. The band are gaining more popularity here with each album and tour so the places they play are growing accordingly. Seen them a number of times over the years. To be honest I can't say I am that much of a fan but some of our crowd are so we often tag along. All great musicians though.

What makes them special for me is the absolute commitment they show to their music, their interaction with and utter respect for the audience was pure magic, it wasn't a routine, going-through-the-motions show. And the music is soulful and deeply humanist, a call to make things better before it's too late, an ever necessary message.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 14, 2019, 06:44:55 PM »
Yes all valid observations mate I agree with wholeheartedly.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 01, 2019, 10:59:39 AM »
Great evening yesterday courtesy of my old school chum and drummer supremo Felipe Cucciardi, and his partner in crime, Hammond-meister and mod about town Sergio Albentosa. The duo played in a tiny -so tiny in fact there wasn't space for their usual guitar player!- downtown cafť-pizzeria where NOBODY, except my wife and me, payed attention, poor sods.

Under the misguiding "Hammond Hits" banner (no "Green Onions" here, the only thing resembling a proper hit was an ultra-fast cover of "Mercy, mercy, mercy"), the power duo (aks the Prototype Trio/Duo) embarked in a most satisfying and Łber cool cocktail of jazz standards, soul jazz and funk that had me dancing to the funkier tunes and put a huge grin on my face for the rest of the night: