Author Topic: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.  (Read 99971 times)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.
« Reply #330 on: February 22, 2015, 01:30:06 PM »
Had a trip to the coast yesterday to Worthing. Small Fakers in a big pub. Lift Off A Go Go DJ sets too. Fantastic performance from The Small Fakers as ever who really do set the bar for 'tribute' acts in my opinion. A few well turned folk and decent dancers too. Majority in Harrington jackets, crops, jeans and Doc Martens. Sort of Scooter rally crowd really but a great bunch who were welcoming to folks from 'Up London' and made for a great evening. DJ set was for me the perfect mix of classic RnB, Northern, Latin, Hammond organ stuff and even standard things like The Who, Spencer Davis and The Eyes to keep all types interested. A 'tenner' too so a great weekend but wish the hotel had been cheaper!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 02:00:13 PM by Martin G »

Ian_B

• Old Man Ian
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 24, 2015, 03:54:08 PM »
Had a trip to the coast yesterday to Worthing. Small Fakers in a big pub. Lift Off A Go Go DJ sets too. Fantastic performance from The Small Fakers as ever who really do set the bar for 'tribute' acts in my opinion. A few well turned folk and decent dancers too. Majority in Harrington jackets, crops, jeans and Doc Martens. Sort of Scooter rally crowd really but a great bunch who were welcoming to folks from 'Up London' and made for a great evening. DJ set was for me the perfect mix of classic RnB, Northern, Latin, Hammond organ stuff and even standard things like The Who, Spencer Davis and The Eyes to keep all types interested. A 'tenner' too so a great weekend but wish the hotel had been cheaper!

I nearly popped over for that
Grammar = the difference between knowing your s**t, and knowing you're s**t!

Rocketman

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 24, 2015, 05:54:18 PM »
I have heard that a production team are currently working on bringing the 'small faces' story to stage (..sunny afternoon..) and that the small fakers are to be involved along with Mollie Marriott .
Investors meetings taking place apparently.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 24, 2015, 06:33:48 PM »
The ALL OR NOTHING thing has been doing the rounds for a while. The Small Fakers have been part involved but if I am blunt they are too good for it in my opinion. I watched a performance of it in Brighton a few Bank Holidays back and after 10 minutes I'd had my fill and left. Pretty horrible 'Swinging 60s' sort of thing with Danny Dyer as the spirit of Steve looking back over his life with the band type of thing. They did it again in Worthing a year or so back with the lads in the play doing the music rather than The Fakers and a mate went and again said it wasn't up to much. I wish those behind it all the best but it ain't for me really.

Stax

• Just realised you can change the 'just joined' bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 25, 2015, 10:20:27 AM »
On the AON website, ages ago, they were more or less saying it was a done deal and about to go on tour or something. At the same time they were asking for investors. I think any interest in it may have been blown away by the Kinks one.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 25, 2015, 01:34:20 PM »
The whole musical/play/tribute thing is a mad one. I have a pal who manages a dozen or so box offices in London. He says foreign tourists with little or no grasp on our language will happy see a show with mostly singing if the person selling the tickets does a comic mime of the artist or group like Micahel Jackson's show. A simple burst of THRILLER or BAD seals the deal or LET IT BE The Beatles one with a head shake and a 'She Loves You Yeah Yeah Yeah' and they get what the show is all about with a giggling thumbs up and a similar rendition in reply in Japanese/German/ whatever. However things like BACKBEAT which was really superb and EPSTIEN for example flopped as aside from real enthusiasts or those who speak English it is a hard sell. The KINKS one has plenty of famous songs and is really well promoted around London. As much as I love them The Small Faces in the big scheme of musical things to the vast majority of listeners are a second tier 60s band behind The Fabs or The Stones or The Who. Similarly bands like maybe The Hollies or The Yardbirds. *Not my opinion of course but in general I think they are perceived as this by most of the public*
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:41:29 PM by Martin G »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 25, 2015, 05:42:15 PM »
Good point, Martin, I guess we kind of cheat ourselves with our parallel rock pantheon; in the real world I doubt 5 per cent of the people you'd randomly ask in the street would have heard about the Small Faces or, say, the Zombies. And the worst for them, I really couldn't care less.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 27, 2015, 08:58:45 AM »
The Style Councillors at London's 100 Club last night. A great night at one of London's most prestigious old music venues. Plenty of Jam tributes out there of course but not TSC so I was keen to see this mob. I was fortunate enough to see the actual Style Council on many occasions back when I was a kid including some of their first at Brockwell Park and BBC Paris Studios so those early days of the band have a soft spot with me. This tribute capture those early days of a 'blazered' Modern Jazz Quartet inspired Style Council and concentrated on stuff from the first album along with all the hit singles. The line-up of 9 musicians filled the hallowed stage and did themselves proud considering they have not been at it together for too long. A bit rough around the edges here and there but nothing horrific and all in all a great night of old memories, dancing and singing along. The crowd was quite a line-up too including Paul Weller's sister Nicky, Gary Crowley who appeared in a few TSC videos, members of The Moons and Jam photographer Derek De Souza all of whom seemed to be beaming when they left. For little more than a 'tenner' I would recommend anyone into TSC to dob along if they come local to you.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:58:54 AM by Martin G »

Monkey

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Picks
« Reply #338 on: February 28, 2015, 05:25:53 PM »
Agree with Martin G. Saw The Style Councillors on Thursday too and thoroughly enjoyed them. Far more, I'm sure, than I would a Weller gig these days or even - dare I say it - TSC back o'er yonder. They certainly never played a set as good as that. Especially liked how the Councillors threw in some "live only" covers TSC did too. Nice touch. The "Paul Weller" chap was excellent and kinda underplayed any too overt Wellerisms. Whole band sounded like a soul revue thing. Yes, I get the argument against tribute bands but honestly enjoyed having a few beers and hearing these songs again - almost with fresh ears. Now back to the records, job done.

By way of a contrast, saw Carlisle band The Lucid Dream on Thursday in Dalston. Fans of Spacemen 3, Black Angels, Verve, noisy feedback drenched trippy headmessing rock 'n' roll should dig 'em. Their first LP was good but the new one is very good. Check out "Cold Killer" on YouTube if it sounds like your bag.
The same few words in a different order can be found at http://www.monkeypicks.co.uk Latest Posts: The Redskins, Wireless Show, The Action's Rolled Gold by Sidewalk Society reviewed.

W12mod

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 16, 2015, 08:54:50 PM »
Went to  'March of the Mods' in Reading yesterday. Was a real mixed bunch of bands playing. The event started at 1300 and went on with Squire headlining and coming on at 2230 so you needed some stamina. Unfortunately after a stag day on Saturday I didn't have the stamina. A real difficult event to organise and hard to judge the ebb and flow of the punters throughout the day.

I really like the flicks and they were kicking off proceedings at 1300. Got there about 15 mins into another excellent set from them. They were on first, it was 1 in the afternoon and they still had people on the dancefloor - says it all really. After their set quite afew people on scooters left, which was disappointing for the Last Fakers who played their own songs and deserved to play to a bigger crowd.

A bit later crowd seem to swell and a covers band went down really well to a lot of people there.

The Turning, another young band came on and had a lot of promise.

The second band I had wanted to see 'the Len price 3' came on at 5 and were excellent as usually 100 mile an hour Medway sound. A really great live band.

best surprise for me was SMAUEL S PARKES, and the day after still can't stop thinking about how much I enjoyed their set. A tribute Northern band BUT with a real stamp of individuality about it. I presume the lead singer is Samuel, who has a great voice and started with a fantastic version of a little misunderstanding - I was mesmerised by the rest of the set. The backing singer was decked out in her Northern baggies and would sporadically dance while on stage or even on the dancefloor and by dance I mean really really dance - not just a shuffle. The band looked the part a mixture of modish looks.

The band have supported OCS and the rifles recently and if your are out and about and they are supporting someone make the effort to see them, really very good.

We left as the next band came on as I was gone, drunk too much and so I missed couple of bands.

I am sure this event isn't everyone's cup of tea but it must take a hell of a lot of work and is for a great cause so I take my hat off to the organisers and the bands for a good event for only a tenner you really had a bargain.

Mike

Mike
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:56:22 PM by W12mod »