Author Topic: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.  (Read 104997 times)

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.
« Reply #340 on: March 16, 2015, 09:30:03 PM »
Good to hear new bands, so many mods are obsessed with the past when it comes to music, give me a good new band any day.
Not stuck in the 60's

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 16, 2015, 09:58:45 PM »
Great review W12! Sounds like the event you attended was a mixed bad but with some decent acts. I know Squire of course from my time as a teenage Mod kid back in the late 1970s but they never really shone for me. I have seen Len Price 3 a few times and although as you say 100 MPH and about as full on as you can get they seem a bit over done at times for me. Samuel Parkes is one to watch for definite. I saw him with OCS and will be keeping an eye out for him with his band as a few pals of mine rate him as you do. Like I say a great review mate. 

W12mod

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 17, 2015, 05:51:27 PM »
Great review W12! Sounds like the event you attended was a mixed bad but with some decent acts. I know Squire of course from my time as a teenage Mod kid back in the late 1970s but they never really shone for me. I have seen Len Price 3 a few times and although as you say 100 MPH and about as full on as you can get they seem a bit over done at times for me. Samuel Parkes is one to watch for definite. I saw him with OCS and will be keeping an eye out for him with his band as a few pals of mine rate him as you do. Like I say a great review mate.

I really was impressed by Samuel S Parkes, which was quite refreshing. The gave out a free EP and we grabbed 2 if anyone wants the spare one drop me your address and I will gladly send it. Although they played covers at Reading the EP is their own material (I think, I only listened once). Cheers mike

Monkey

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Picks
« Reply #343 on: March 17, 2015, 07:23:05 PM »
Thanks for the review W12mod. It's my lack of stamina that puts me off even attempting all-dayers, so good effort!

Went on Friday to see Dr Lonnie Smith at Ronnie Scott's. Big fan of his classic Blue Note LPs (plus the ones with Lou Donaldson), so was a smidge disappointed he didn't do anything from those, although his current trio line-up - Hammond, guitar, drums - kinda prevented it anyway. Played mainly latest LP which compromises of almost ethereal atmospheric pieces. Very late night jazz. And seeing as it was in the midnight hour in a jazz club was fair enough. Worked well in that setting of respectful silence. Would've liked him to have whacked in a few meatier solos but still great and to see him up that close - six feet away - was a real pleasure.

The same few words in a different order can be found at http://www.monkeypicks.co.uk Latest Posts: The Redskins, Wireless Show, The Action's Rolled Gold by Sidewalk Society reviewed.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 17, 2015, 07:44:45 PM »
I'm green with envy, the man is great. In fact, I thought he was dead, so it's nice to hear he's still playin' around. But you're right, a pity he didn't play funkier stuff, I love his late 60s Blue Notes.

Monkey

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Picks
« Reply #345 on: March 17, 2015, 08:39:02 PM »
I'm green with envy, the man is great. In fact, I thought he was dead, so it's nice to hear he's still playin' around. But you're right, a pity he didn't play funkier stuff, I love his late 60s Blue Notes.

Aye. In fairness I did see Lonnie and Lou play that stuff a few years back. Were fantastic. And gatecrashed their dressing room afterwards for a chat - proper gents (them not us, obviously...).
The same few words in a different order can be found at http://www.monkeypicks.co.uk Latest Posts: The Redskins, Wireless Show, The Action's Rolled Gold by Sidewalk Society reviewed.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 17, 2015, 08:42:41 PM »
Now that you mention it, I seem to recall Lou Donaldson played recently in Spain, though sadly not in my town  :(

Stax

• Just realised you can change the 'just joined' bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 18, 2015, 12:11:02 PM »
Weller in Sc**thorpe last night. Great gig as ever and a good setlist. Nothing other than solo stuff though which i assume would've annoyed those who seem to only go to hear Town Called Malice.

Rocketman

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 19, 2015, 06:49:22 PM »
Weller in Halifax last night , small intimate theatre . Played a fantastic set of mainly heavier guitar led tunes , some great solos especially from steve c . There where a couple of dissapointments mainly the saturns patterns title track (which would probably benefit from a female backing). Paul wore his real stars Jersey ,although I did not get get to see the merch counter. Very good crowd especially those standing .excellant night ahead for any of you attending these smaller venues .

Stax

• Just realised you can change the 'just joined' bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 20, 2015, 09:03:49 PM »
Just noticed the censoring of the Lincolnshire town!