Author Topic: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.  (Read 106609 times)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.
« Reply #430 on: December 03, 2015, 01:54:35 PM »
I may as well get my swimming trunks out then! Weller Saturday and The Rifles Tuesday!

I do know what you all mean though and is something I have long bemoaned! These chumps are just idiots in every sense and are always the first with the old "We Are The Mods...!" nonsense too.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 03, 2015, 03:12:10 PM »
I may as well get my swimming trunks out then! Weller Saturday and The Rifles Tuesday!

I do know what you all mean though and is something I have long bemoaned! These chumps are just idiots in every sense and are always the first with the old "We Are The Mods...!" nonsense too.

When I saw Weller about 5yrs ago , there must easily have been around a thousand singing the chant . Whether they were Mods or not I don't know. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

W12mod

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 03, 2015, 08:57:56 PM »

Martin,

I am at Guildford to see the Rifles on Tuesday (couldn't get Boogaloo tickets).  Be nice to say Hi. I'll be the bald mod late 40's !(as will be half the crowd).

Hoping there will be no beer throwing as it's the acoustic tour - unlike when they supported the who at Hyde Park.

Also hoping to see all the gig as it has a time curfew - unlike the Boogaloo where they come on 10 mins before my last train home!

Cheers mike

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 04, 2015, 01:54:08 PM »
Hi Mike Tuesday's gig is at Tunbridge Wells mate? I've seen them a few times. I got bottled first time (Nice!) and as you say last time was at Hyde Park it was just ridiculous. I saw them do a small invite only thing at Gibson Guitars nears Euston and it was fantastic.  No numpties at all just an enthusiastic crowd of proper fans
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 01:56:22 PM by Martin G »

W12mod

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 04, 2015, 07:25:39 PM »
Hi Mike Tuesday's gig is at Tunbridge Wells mate? I've seen them a few times. I got bottled first time (Nice!) and as you say last time was at Hyde Park it was just ridiculous. I saw them do a small invite only thing at Gibson Guitars nears Euston and it was fantastic.  No numpties at all just an enthusiastic crowd of proper fans

cheers Martin - nearly turned up on the wrong day! Now found out its Thursday for Guildford and my mate has the hump as I told him it was the 8th and he has a Christmas do on 10th.

Enjoy Tuesday  - expect a review!

Mike

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: December 06, 2015, 08:58:12 AM »
Saw Weller last night. Hammersmith whatever it is called now. Certainly in the opinion of myself and my pals one of the most 'fan friendly' sets I think I've ever seen him perform. Half a dozen from his Jam period, three or four Style Council tracks, a smattering from his new album and a sort of 'Weller Greatest Hits' too with stuff like 'You Do Something To Me', 'Porcelain Gods', 'Broken Stones', 'Friday Street', 'Peacock Suit' and 'The Changing Man'. Thankfully very little beer flying but still the usual idiots chucking themselves about with little or no regard for those around them even if that may include women or much older people. Good night though in general. Usual stand-outs set things really going like 'Start!' and 'Town Called Malice' but for me the real highlights were 'The Man In The Cornershop' and 'In The Crowd'.  Aside from members of the audience no complaints!

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 06, 2015, 10:13:22 AM »
Saw Weller last night. Hammersmith whatever it is called now. Certainly in the opinion of myself and my pals one of the most 'fan friendly' sets I think I've ever seen him perform. Half a dozen from his Jam period, three or four Style Council tracks, a smattering from his new album and a sort of 'Weller Greatest Hits' too with stuff like 'You Do Something To Me', 'Porcelain Gods', 'Broken Stones', 'Friday Street', 'Peacock Suit' and 'The Changing Man'. Thankfully very little beer flying but still the usual idiots chucking themselves about with little or no regard for those around them even if that may include women or much older people. Good night though in general. Usual stand-outs set things really going like 'Start!' and 'Town Called Malice' but for me the real highlights were 'The Man In The Cornershop' and 'In The Crowd'.  Aside from members of the audience no complaints!

Sounds like a great night , Martin. We didn't get Broken Stones or You Do Something To Me last week , but they are a couple of my favourites. 'The Man In The Cornershop' and  'In The Crowd' were also done well when I saw him but Eton Rifles would have been good especially considering it's current relevance and I would have swapped out Town Called Malice for That's Entertainment purely because I feel that it gets better audience participation at the end of the show. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Monkey

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Picks
« Reply #437 on: December 06, 2015, 04:12:10 PM »
Saw Ronnie Spector at the Barbican last week. A bit cabaret I suppose but a nice evening nonetheless. After each song she sat in big chair and kinda told a bit of story. Like a Ronette Corbett. Sometimes with photos or footage.

In good singing voice and a decent set list which obviously included the famous ones but also You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory and Back To Black, both of which were highlights. Her band made a horrible soulless summer season noise - like a 80s re-recording - but she was lovely, her humour shining through.
The same few words in a different order can be found at http://www.monkeypicks.co.uk Latest Posts: The Redskins, Wireless Show, The Action's Rolled Gold by Sidewalk Society reviewed.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 06, 2015, 07:21:01 PM »
Is it so difficult (or expensive) for these 60s "comeback" singers to get a decent backing band and round things up? I mean, I'm sure people who attend these gigs prefers an organic sound, not that 80s muzak. Apart from this, it sounds like an agreeable evening.

Stax

• Just realised you can change the 'just joined' bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 09, 2015, 12:59:55 PM »
I went to see the Rifles acoustic gig in York last week. I really enjoyed it and the quality of their songs really came through. Completely different atmosphere to a usual gig of theirs though.