Author Topic: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.  (Read 108062 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.
« Reply #470 on: April 11, 2017, 10:36:07 AM »
Thanks for the Limboos review greenstreet. They are top of my to-see list.

Were the audience "normals"? You know what I mean.

Cheers, Monkey! If you have the chance to catch them live, don't miss it, they're pretty good. According to their FBook page, they have plans to tour Europe later this year, so maybe...

I'm not sure bout what you mean by "normals", mate, but they weren't much different from what I've seen in my last gigs: roughly half of them my age, the rest 20 or 30 something, well mannered people with the only aim of having a good time. Beer is too expensive -even here- to waste it!

The Dennis Greaves' similarity is not that far off the mark, Simon, though the young Greaves was slimmer, I think.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 12, 2017, 12:25:51 PM »
Saw the legendary PP Arnold last night at the 229 Club in London. As ever absolute top class. Incredible lady at 71 who still belts a song out like a teenager but with the delivery and maturity of a true pro. Seen her 5/6 times over the last maybe 25 years and she really seems to get better each time.  A mixed bag set comprising all her well known stuff, tracks from her 'new' album originally recorded close to 50 years ago along with covers of 60s soul contemporaries she was influenced by and songs she was connected to as a backing vocalist too. Her band was one Steve Cradock of OCS tours as a solo artist with so were young but I've seen around with other bands too such as The Moons. Cracking support from a young girl guitarist, singer, writer called Enne' who is a new signing to Acid Jazz Records. Top night great singer and a good crowd too.

ianeggbert

• Vintage becoming veteran
    • View Profile
    • The Acoustic Egg Box
« Reply #472 on: October 18, 2017, 06:55:11 AM »
Saw the legendary PP Arnold last night at the 229 Club in London. As ever absolute top class. Incredible lady at 71 who still belts a song out like a teenager but with the delivery and maturity of a true pro. Seen her 5/6 times over the last maybe 25 years and she really seems to get better each time.  A mixed bag set comprising all her well known stuff, tracks from her 'new' album originally recorded close to 50 years ago along with covers of 60s soul contemporaries she was influenced by and songs she was connected to as a backing vocalist too. Her band was one Steve Cradock of OCS tours as a solo artist with so were young but I've seen around with other bands too such as The Moons. Cracking support from a young girl guitarist, singer, writer called Enne' who is a new signing to Acid Jazz Records. Top night great singer and a good crowd too.

I was lucky enough to see her at the weekend in a tiny Arts Centre in North Devon (which is, as it happens, just up the road from where Steve Cradock lives.......) and she was amazing. the review is now up on my blog http://theacousticeggbox.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/live-pparnold-plough-arts-centre-great.html
It's not the cost of the suit that counts, it's the worth of the man inside it

Twitter: @IanPople1

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 18, 2017, 08:11:01 AM »
Nice review mate. Agree all the way. Such a small venue must have been great. The 229 is a larger small venue if you get what I mean but decent. Great photo too fella. Nice one! BTW if you are down in the West Country do you know Ian and Jade or go to their Vinyl Avengers events?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 12:49:47 PM by Martin G »

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 18, 2017, 05:03:30 PM »

I was lucky enough to see her at the weekend in a tiny Arts Centre in North Devon (which is, as it happens, just up the road from where Steve Cradock lives.......) and she was amazing. the review is now up on my blog http://theacousticeggbox.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/live-pparnold-plough-arts-centre-great.html

Yeah sounds fantastic , Ian and as has been said cracking photo there , a cracker indeed. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 19, 2017, 04:48:50 PM »

Ooops, I almost miss this... Great review, Ian, as per usual. I would have loved that gig. BTW, I've always thought that "To love somebody" lends itself particularly well to soul vocalists, as the Nina Simone's cover aptly shows.

Now, to the "new" PP Arnold's album review...

Ian_B

• Old Man Ian
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 24, 2017, 04:25:56 PM »

BTW, I've always thought that "To love somebody" lends itself particularly well to soul vocalists, as the Nina Simone's cover aptly shows.

If I remember correctly Barry & Robin Gibb wrote "To Love Somebody" (at the request of Robert Stigwood) for Otis - But he tragically died before having a chance to record the song.
Grammar = the difference between knowing your s**t, and knowing you're s**t!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 24, 2017, 05:03:16 PM »

BTW, I've always thought that "To love somebody" lends itself particularly well to soul vocalists, as the Nina Simone's cover aptly shows.

If I remember correctly Barry & Robin Gibb wrote "To Love Somebody" (at the request of Robert Stigwood) for Otis - But he tragically died before having a chance to record the song.

Wow, imagine it in the hands -or the pipes, to be precise- of Otis! Bliss.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 24, 2017, 05:03:48 PM »

I reckon Dexys did a great cover of it recently . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5C15jnXYcQ

. .call me biased if you like. .
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:06:01 PM by Simon Bond »
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 25, 2017, 07:27:47 AM »

I reckon Dexys did a great cover of it recently . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5C15jnXYcQ

. .call me biased if you like. .

Nice arrangement, but I don't think Kevin Rowland can handle it vocally, the spoken verses just don't work for me, less so if I imagine a vocalist as powerful as Otis in charge of it.