Author Topic: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.  (Read 80974 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.
« Reply #480 on: October 25, 2017, 07:27:47 AM »

BTW, I've always thought that "To love somebody" lends itself particularly well to soul vocalists, as the Nina Simone's cover aptly shows.

Now, to the "new" PP Arnold's album review...
If I remember correctly Barry & Robin Gibb wrote "To Love Somebody" (at the request of Robert Stigwood) for Otis - But he tragically died before having a chance to record the song.

I reckon Dexys did a great cover of it recently . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5C15jnXYcQ

. .call me biased if you like. .

Nice arrangement, but I don't think Kevin Rowland can handle it vocally, the spoken verses just don't work for me, less so if I imagine a vocalist as powerful as Otis in charge of it.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 25, 2017, 05:28:48 PM »

BTW, I've always thought that "To love somebody" lends itself particularly well to soul vocalists, as the Nina Simone's cover aptly shows.

Now, to the "new" PP Arnold's album review...
If I remember correctly Barry & Robin Gibb wrote "To Love Somebody" (at the request of Robert Stigwood) for Otis - But he tragically died before having a chance to record the song.

I reckon Dexys did a great cover of it recently . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5C15jnXYcQ

. .call me biased if you like. .

Nice arrangement, but I don't think Kevin Rowland can handle it vocally, the spoken verses just don't work for me, less so if I imagine a vocalist as powerful as Otis in charge of it.

Whilst I grant you that Rowland doesn't have the voice that Otis had , I did say that I am biased . .

I have been a Dexys fan since I first saw them on a BBC show called Top of the Pops in late 1979. In particular I love their first album which was my era and possibly my favourite band from that time.  I have one Otis album and  I do like but I was only a kid when he croaked it . For me that version of the To Love Somebody track by Dexys is the best version and I think it is their best album for donkeys years . .I would also say their version of Both Sides Now from the same album is also the best version of that tune. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y0_KzvybwI
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Mutley

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 02, 2018, 10:55:46 AM »
I'm going to see this lot later in the month. I've really enjoyed both their albums so far.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:59:43 AM by Mutley »
If you ooze masculinity, like some of us do, you have no reason to fear pink.

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 02, 2018, 07:18:59 PM »
Saw them in Glasgow a couple of months ago Mutley. The sound was shocking and atmosphere poor,hence I don't think Billy and the band enjoyed it.
Production on albums is really good,unfortunately this didn't come across live that night.
The new single is good and a slight departure,shades of Madness which is no bad thing. I'm 50/50 on them some excellent tunes,some very average.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 02, 2018, 07:24:20 PM »
My exact thoughts on their last album: some good tunes, some just average.

Mutley

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 02, 2018, 09:22:55 PM »
The atmos and sound in the Workmans club is normally good so fingers crossed.
I'll report back.

Mutley

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 01, 2018, 03:45:02 PM »
So I said I'd report back on the Spitfires gig.

I went to see them last week and am happy to report it was a great evening. The venue was full with a good mix from the older, portly balding types to a youthful twenty something and yours truly somewhere in between. Everyone was up for a good time and when Billy and the boys came on and started their high octane show the crowd got well and truly into it. The set lasted a little over an hour with the obligatory encore and if truth be told I would be very glad to see them again on their return. I'm looking forward to seeing what their third album brings when released this year. Recommended.

Claretbluemod

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 12, 2018, 01:11:23 PM »
Paul Weller, Bologna ITA - 10th sept 2017 He was on good voice, great act. Nearly sold out 5/5

..always kind with the fans!

Madness, Trezzo D'Adda (MI) ITA - 28th oct 2017. It was the first time for me and they were good 4/5

I was quite close to the stage and the club went literally mad on Baggy Trousers!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 11:08:30 AM by Claretbluemod »
Broad minds, narrow ties

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 12, 2018, 08:45:12 PM »

I went to see them last week and am happy to report it was a great evening. The venue was full with a good mix from the older, portly balding types to a youthful twenty something and yours truly somewhere in between. Everyone was up for a good time and when Billy and the boys came on and started their high octane show the crowd got well and truly into it. The set lasted a little over an hour with the obligatory encore and if truth be told I would be very glad to see them again on their return. I'm looking forward to seeing what their third album brings when released this year. Recommended.

Are you in the ROI Mutley?

Is so you may not have caught the Spitfires live on the Andrew Marr show on Sunday morning. The sung Move On.
Quite a bizarre set up for them but maybe chosen because of the political content of the song.
The Mods are back exclaimed Marr.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 12, 2018, 10:30:59 PM »

Are you in the ROI Mutley?

Is so you may not have caught the Spitfires live on the Andrew Marr show on Sunday morning. The sung Move On.
Quite a bizarre set up for them but maybe chosen because of the political content of the song.
The Mods are back exclaimed Marr.

that one always makes me smile. .they have never been away. . 8)
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!