Author Topic: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.  (Read 106603 times)

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
Re: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.
« Reply #490 on: February 13, 2018, 07:43:29 PM »
It's on the IPlayer Mutley.

Been a few years since I've been over the water. Lovely country

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 13, 2018, 07:48:01 PM »
It's on the IPlayer Mutley.

Been a few years since I've been over the water. Lovely country

Indeed , love it over there . .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 19, 2018, 10:44:41 AM »
Last weekend I attended my annual appointment with the Fleshtones, I must have seen them live 10 times! As we got to the club after a whole day partying (a friend's birthday, beginning at lunch time), I wasn't in the best of shapes to fully enjoy the gig. Besides, they began playing past 1 a.m., very late even for spanish standards.

But those limitations notwithstanding, who wouldn't surrender to such a fun machine? The club was the same of last year's gig, a perfect place and sound, and the show wasn't miles away either, though as the place was packed (last year it was a more "intimate" affair), they restorted to a more "gimmicky" approach to please the crowd; that is, leading the audience to do silly things like spinning round themselves or kneel and crouch, while Zaremba and Streng left the stage and played among the people... Tricks they've been doing for years and still work.

Another subtle difference with last year was the choice of tunes, as the bulk of the repertoire came then from their last LP, while this time 2 or 3 F-Tones classics made it to the stage, among them "The right side of a good thing" and the timeless "American beat", that closed the show.

Two other groups played, but I had gone for the Fleshtones. I catched the end of Los Radiadores show, but tbh I wasn't impressed. An average power pop band at best. I've heard good things about the garage-punk band the Hollywood Sinners, but they played after the Fleshtones and there was no gas left in this old body. 

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 04, 2018, 12:16:47 PM »
Weller at the O2 london last night. A fan without question since my teenage years but not a blind follower with the Weller haircut and a Real Stars Are Rare jumper. However last night I saw without question one of the best performances of any artists I've seen for many years. He was on top form. Happy to mix a 'greatest hits' package amongst newer album tracks. Admittedly we had excellent seats and a very decent crowd around us so none of the usual prats slinging booze everywhere chanting "WE ARE THE MODS" at every opportunity. I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen him either with The Jam, The Style Council or as a solo artist but last night was up there with the best I've seen him and certainly for the last 10/15 years or so. Great Fred Perry Monkey Jacket he had but a shocker of a barnet. That aside it is the music I was there for and it was without fault.

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 07, 2018, 07:57:45 AM »
Like you Martin,seen him countless times etc.

I avoided the Hydro in Glasgow as it holds 7500 and never too good for sound/atmosphere(visits with my daughter to see Paloma Faith and Ariana Grande confirmed this)
Looked at the setlist and was surprised to see so many Jam/SC early solo tracks included.Wish I'd bought a brief now.Still like him and there's always good songs on any release he makes.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 07, 2018, 09:18:18 AM »
Yes mate. Every album he does throws out a few good 'uns but the last two really had more than a handful on each. Hearing those peppered throughout what was basically a 'Greatest Hits' was more than welcome. Shame you missed it fella. I am thinking now he has hit 60 although he loves to play he can do without a 6/7 week UK tour at smaller venues with 2 or 3 nights at each. Two weeks, arenas, job done I reckon was his game plan.

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 07, 2018, 09:53:57 AM »
Make you right Martin.

Also added to the mix is the other members own band duties and also there are more kids to look after now. ;)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 07, 2018, 10:33:21 AM »
They had half the kids on stage with them. My mate went Brighton and he was at the front and could see all the mums and kids at the side of the stage wearing ear defenders!

Rocketman

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 08, 2018, 10:30:30 PM »
wow !  no gig reviews in the past 7/8 months...  Teenage Fanclub currently touring/residency of their earlier albums output , I chose day 2 @ m/c. (the best) Grand Prix/songs from northern Britain. What a show total singalong, the band have songs,hooks and harmonies that hark back to revolver/Byrdís/big star era.  (+ dad jokes and custard pie humour.... thanx Brendon)
do not miss this tour if u have opportunity as it will never again be the same again without Gerard love. love the fannieís and get in early for the brilliant dj set from records ville 60,s

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 01:08:44 PM by Rocketman »

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 09, 2018, 06:58:53 AM »
wow !  no gig reviews in the past 7/8 months...  Teenage Fanclub currently touring/residency of their entire album output , I chose day 2 @ m/c. (the best) Grand Prix/songs from northern Britain. What a show total singalong, the band have songs,hooks and harmonies that hark back to revolver/Byrdís/big star era.  (+ dad jokes and custard pie humour.... thanx Brendon)
do not miss this tour if u have opportunity as it will never again be the same again without Gerard love. love the fannieís and get in early for the brilliant dj set from records ville 60,s

I would agree their music harks back to the 6ts , with Sparkeys Dream sounding like the Who's Pictures of Lilly . Despite never being a big fan of their work l do have a couple of their albums and although Norman is the brother in law of a friend of mine , l have never seen the band or met him. I'm glad you liked the gig and it certainly sounds like it was very entertaining. 
I think l will go and stick one of their albums on . . :)
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!