Author Topic: Ben sherman v Fred perry  (Read 4693 times)

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Ben sherman v Fred perry
« on: November 06, 2013, 08:54:54 PM »

I purchased a ben snerman shirt recently XL I think it fits well I might just about get away with a Large but feel more comfortable in a XL.

So I purchased a fred perry XL shirt, the fred perry one seems too baggy theres a noticable difference.

I wondered if this was a common problem with various brands.

ben sherman state XL = 45.1 inch chest
Fred perry state XL - 44-46

Thanks a lot.
Not stuck in the 60's

markrulesok

• View Profile
Re: Ben sherman v Fred perry
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:52:10 PM »
Most brands vary within a similar range of this. Really depends, especially when you start throwing different 'fits' into the mix, and can depend on whether the brand is european, asian or american, too. Best thing to do is check size guides and even google to see if you can find any actual measurements, there are a few sites than often help, styleforum is a good start.

I think the main thing to remember though is, if its a dress shirt, for a really good fit chances are it'll always need some tweaking unless it's made for you.

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 10:29:47 PM »
cheers.
Not stuck in the 60's

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 12:36:11 AM »
Good advice from Mark. When I buy shirts I get as good a fit as I can from judging sizes and consulting charts etc, but if I'm seeking a perfect fit I accept I'll have to build in some more dosh for the adjustments. If its something that will always be worn under a suit/jacket (I never take my jacket off at work) then I'm not as fussed, as I only need the sleeves to be right.

dinoyn5

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 04:14:32 AM »
I've noticed the difference also. Ben Sherman seems to be a better fit overall. It has shorter sleeves and FP has a baggier fit than they used to. I think FP is a bit more golf looking than they were.

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 01:40:37 PM »
thanks everyone.

well I ended up getting measured and my chest is 42".  Most brands seem to state XL as 42-44, and Large as 40-42.  Which is probably why a large feels a little tight and why a XL feels a little loose.  The slightly larger did feel better although the arms bunched a little.

So would most suggest i go for 42-44?
Not stuck in the 60's

markrulesok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 02:40:20 PM »
if you're going to need alterations go for the one with best collar fit, and make sure it fits well across the shoulders. Everything else like sleeve length, darts (if you need or want them), or having the shirt fitted to you is relativley simple.

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »
Thanks mark, TBH the shoulders looked pretty much the same in both, I have quite broad shoulders so a XL looks fine.  Collar seemed better with XL, Large just seemed too tight.  If it wasn't for the bunching at the arms XL would be perfect I think.

But for everyday shirts I think its fine.  But I think I'm going have problems with other brands, like I discovered with fred perry.

I'll end up buying 2 of everything and trying them both on.
Not stuck in the 60's