Author Topic: The What Are You Reading Thread  (Read 82944 times)

Modculture

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Modculture
The What Are You Reading Thread
« on: March 10, 2013, 06:57:03 PM »
Just getting this old thread moving once agaon - let us know what pages you are turning right now.
Owner/dogsbody - Modculture

Monkey

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Picks
Re: The What Are You Reading Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:17:26 PM »
Currently struggling through Mod: A Very British Style by Richard Weight. Weight by name, heavy going by nature.

The same few words in a different order can be found at http://www.monkeypicks.co.uk Latest Posts: The Redskins, Wireless Show, The Action's Rolled Gold by Sidewalk Society reviewed.

Modculture

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Modculture
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 06:47:25 PM »
Slowly working through the New London Editions fiction. Barons Court All Change done and dusted, as is Adrift in Soho by Colin Wilson (which I'll review for site in next few days).

Now onto The Furnished Room (from 1961) by Laura Del-Rivo (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Furnished-Room-Beats-Bums-Bohemians/dp/190786914X/ref=pd_sim_b_1), which seems to be cut from the same cloth. No bad thing at all.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 06:54:49 PM by Modculture »

Mark Gallagher

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 12:31:17 PM »
How is Mod:A Very British Style? I think thatís next on my list

Iím halfway through Pete Townsend's Who I Am. Its a pretty good read, well written, honest and surprisingly self-depreciating. I canít put it down

Sharpen up

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 12:47:10 PM »
Just finished cider with roadies, by Stuart maconie, very funny read. Just started world war z , max brooks. Also just started the Action in the lap of the mods.

Smiler

• Just joined
    • View Profile

charliebravo69

• Modernist, Cyclist, Pissartist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 01:53:11 PM »

Modculture

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Modculture
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 03:40:01 PM »
Monkey's previous references to it being hard work have stopped me from opening the first page. Like a book that's a good read, not one where you need a thesaurus to hand.

Might give it a shot this weekend, make my own mind up.

Soulstar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
Just finished Danny Baker's autobiography "Going to Sea in a Sieve". Some great no-nonsense opinions about some artists and their music. My heart normally sinks when a book ends "...but that's for volume 2" but I look forward to the sequel to this.

Diabolik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 08:58:17 PM »
Just finished reading Jack's Return Home by Ted Lewis (or Get Carter as the film was called). I've seen the film countless times but didn't realise the book was actually set in Doncaster not Newcastle until I read the blurb!

Also picked up a copy of 50 Years of British Style Culture by Josh Sims this week from the Ben Sherman Outlet in York.
Flicking through it, there doesn't seem to be anything particularly new and insiteful about "Youth Culture", but there are some nice pics and the book does feel like a quality product.