Author Topic: The What Are You Reading Thread  (Read 88262 times)

MWC

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: The What Are You Reading Thread
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 09:39:47 AM »
I've just got round to starting 'Friday on my mind' not far enough into it yet to give an in depth analysis but I'm enjoying it so far!
Www.modernworldclothing.co.uk

@ModernWorldUK

Ian_B

• Old Man Ian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 10:13:58 AM »
Read "Friday On My Mind" a few years ago on the coach to Lowestoft, & thoroughly enjoyed it!

Had the pleasure to meet Don Hughes at The Brighton August Weekender last year - lovely chap.

As for "Mod:A Very British Style", I did have it on pre-order from Amazon til I read Paul Hooper-Keeley's review on Modernist Society, which persuaded me to save myself as few bob.

Looking forward to Smiler's 'Mods - the New Religion!'

Currently reading (& thoroughly enjoying) "Boogie Man - The Adventures Of John Lee Hooker In The American Twentieth Century" by Charles Shaar Murray

Ian B
Grammar = the difference between knowing your s**t, and knowing you're s**t!

Stax

• Just realised you can change the 'just joined' bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Slowly working through the New London Editions fiction. Barons Court All Change done and dusted, as is Adrift in Soho by Colin Wilson (which I'll review for site in next few days).

Now onto The Furnished Room (from 1961) by Laura Del-Rivo (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Furnished-Room-Beats-Bums-Bohemians/dp/190786914X/ref=pd_sim_b_1), which seems to be cut from the same cloth. No bad thing at all.

What did you think of Barons Court? I was very disappointed myself, most of the book just seemed to go about how great smoking 'charge' is, which I thought was dull. I thought Adrift in Soho was good though. I wonder how much of it was based in fact? I've still got the Furnished Room to read but I thought I'd give the New London Editions a break and now I'm halfway through Dear Boy. I also ordered the Jason Brummell book the other day. Looking forward to that.

BUtterfield8

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 12:34:42 PM »
The Richard Burton Diaries. Funny, sad, gossipy, bitchy, literary, but above all honest and rather down to earth. Well written, but has some large chunks missing - mainly the years when his life was unravelling with depression and booze.
It's easy to laugh, it's easy to hate
It takes guts to be gentle and kind

Jonny

• Just joined
    • View Profile
    • Jonny Monk Photography
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 04:47:06 PM »
Currently reading through 'A History Of The World In Six Glasses' by Tom Standage (Business editor of the Economist). Superb read so far, basically detailing world history through the beverages that influenced them. (It's more interesting than I've made it sound.)

brobeck

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 09:08:34 AM »
I'm reading a couple - How Music Works by David Byrne & The History of MI6 (can't remember author too lazy too look it up oops). David Byrne's passion for music reaaally comes through and I'm only a few chapters in so far but it's just a really nice and happy book to read through.

TheReralJoeM

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 10:08:17 AM »
Currently flicking through Tony Russells The Blues. a big coffee table thing with lots of pictures....scant information in the main chapters but some nice details on individual Bluesmen/women.

Modculture

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Modculture
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 01:58:45 PM »
Slowly working through the New London Editions fiction. Barons Court All Change done and dusted, as is Adrift in Soho by Colin Wilson (which I'll review for site in next few days).

Now onto The Furnished Room (from 1961) by Laura Del-Rivo (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Furnished-Room-Beats-Bums-Bohemians/dp/190786914X/ref=pd_sim_b_1), which seems to be cut from the same cloth. No bad thing at all.

I actually thought the opposite. Quite liked Barons Court. Also liked Adrift in Soho too, but found it ended abruptly and too many characters seem to be cut short in their prime. Still worth buying though.

What did you think of Barons Court? I was very disappointed myself, most of the book just seemed to go about how great smoking 'charge' is, which I thought was dull. I thought Adrift in Soho was good though. I wonder how much of it was based in fact? I've still got the Furnished Room to read but I thought I'd give the New London Editions a break and now I'm halfway through Dear Boy. I also ordered the Jason Brummell book the other day. Looking forward to that.
Owner/dogsbody - Modculture

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 05:02:04 PM »

I actually thought the opposite. Quite liked Barons Court. Also liked Adrift in Soho too, but found it ended abruptly and too many characters seem to be cut short in their prime. Still worth buying though.

I enjoyed all three of those, especially The Furnished Room.  I managed to get a copy of the film (West 11) on which it was based and was really looking forward to watching it but it's disappointing; in it the supporting characters are one dimensional (Diana Dors is always a delight to watch, though).
And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.

newspapersmiles

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 05:53:31 PM »
I'm reading
  • A to Z of Mod (I've only gotten my copy, but thank god I did! I was so chuffed to get my hands on it finally!
  • Brighton Rock as a piece of prose. I am studying more or less literature so I was thinking of reading it and then analysing it.

And all the other books I'm supposed to read... I've a heck of a pile of books read. I've not even scratched the surface. I'm looking forward to read the Mod: A Very British Style, I understand it concentrates on the cultural perspective?

Too bad that acquiring these books is effing expensive (and time-taking) in Finland, this Richard Weight's book costs alone 30 euros when I could've gotten it for about 15 quid from amazon.co.uk...

Edit: I've also been reading Paolo Hewitt's band biographies of the Jam and Small Faces. I'd be dead pleased to have my own copy of both of them, but for now library's copies will do. Thick As Thieves - personal situations with the Jam is a book worth mentioning, too.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 11:45:10 AM by newspapersmiles »