Author Topic: The What Are You Reading Thread  (Read 94940 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: The What Are You Reading Thread
« Reply #490 on: December 23, 2017, 05:12:29 PM »

I came across (and bought) these two delightful books in the huge New York's bookstore The Strand, and they're highly recommended. Both have to do with fashion and subcultures, and while "Cool" is more entertaining and useful tan essential, "Rebel threads" should be required reading for every pop culture aficionado out there, it's that good.

"Cool" is above all a useful and profusely illustrated summation of the youth subcultures from the 1920s to the 21st century, offering the basic data of every youth movement you can think of in double page spreads, even subcultures as little known as russian stilyagi or congolese bills.

On the downside, while the drawings aren't bad and serve their purpose, I miss the accuracy of proper photographs. Infomation is fairly basic too and while the authors get it broadly right I've spotted several mistakes and missed the oh-so important details that would have made the book a masterpiece (as in the chapter dedicated to mods/modernists)

But I woudn't like to sound too picky here, because as an introduction to the topic this book is unbeatable and an utter delight to flick through, thoroughly enjoyable. The icing on the cake are the music playlists featured that cover nicely all the periods and styles discussed in the book.

Meanwhile, "Rebel threads" (issued last october) is the best style book published in 2017 hands down. With more tan 1.000 photographs of period clothes and focused in the 20th century decades that run from the 50s to the 80s, its main source is the unbelievable vintage clothing collection of Roger K. Burton, the same guy who provided the "Quadrophenia" outfits, no less. Thus the accompanying text is accurate and insightful, but the star of the show are of course the pics. You're in for a treat if you get this one, fellas.

More details on it in the book's website (including a nice interview with the autor by Eddie Piller)

https://www.rebel-threads.com/

Oh, if someone is interested both books are pretty cheap now in Amazon.

Robin_Wick

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: The What Are You Reading Thread
« Reply #491 on: January 08, 2018, 10:53:59 PM »
Just picked up From Somewhere Out Of Here, the book on Mod in Birmingham and the Black Country during the 80s...

Some great info - heaps on clothes, playlists etc - but frustratingly few photographs... enjoying it, though!