Author Topic: The What Are You Reading Thread  (Read 128969 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: The What Are You Reading Thread
« Reply #500 on: July 23, 2018, 04:06:53 PM »
This has arrived just on time for the upcoming holidays. Far from your topical 60s stuff, it digs a lot deeper for 45s that didn't make it across the whole pop spectrum (not just garage or psych, lots of soul and girl group records too), but maybe the most appealing detail is the striking display of graphic ephemera (e-book wasn't an option this time!):

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 23, 2018, 09:05:03 PM »
Believe it or no ah saw the mighty Bo Diddley playin' a gig in Dundee in the early 80s.

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 12, 2018, 04:32:02 PM »
Scoundrels - The Hunt For Hansclapp.  Wonderfully funny book about the continuing adventures of adventurer-spies Major Cornwall and Major Trevelyan. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, here's the Amazon link with the look inside option.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scoundrels-Hansclapp-Majr-Victor-Cornwall/dp/0995716323/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1536769229&sr=1-1&keywords=scoundrels

And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 13, 2018, 03:52:40 PM »
The Secret Life of Flies by Erica McAlister

A great little book on some of the most underappreciated creatures in the world.
There are some amazing stories of their life cycles and how they live at the different life stages. You'll look at mosquitoes in a different light and might not be so quick to want to kill them all.
One fly has a tongue 8 times longer than its body.

https://www.nhmshop.co.uk/the-secret-life-of-flies-paperback.html
http://www.washingtonindependentreviewofbooks.com/index.php/bookreview/the-secret-life-of-flies
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 03:55:20 PM by Trotsky »
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 15, 2018, 12:19:33 PM »

Aboot a quarter ay the way intae the third book in the Stuart Cosgrove soul trilogy.

King Curtis, Donny Hathaway, Gil Scott Heron, Black Panthers - whit's not tae like?

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 18, 2018, 01:01:03 PM »
This stunning photograph book was a bargain, as I got it half price (that is, 10 from 20) in Amazon Spain. As some Amazon disounts, a blink and it was gone; anyway, right now it's still 5 less than the regular price. Oddly, Amazon UK don't seem to have it in stock.

Anyway it's a worthy -read "essential"- addition to any self-respecting blues fan/mod collection, as it gives graphic testimony, in glorious black&white- of the late heyday of Chicago blues (some 50s pics, but mainly early-to-mid 60s), with all the movers & shakers (Muddy, the Wolf, Magic Sam, Otis Rush, even the detroiter JL Hooker) of the scene at the peak of their game, playing seedy (very seedy) clubs, sometimes under the scrutiny of future white blues legends (Paul Butterfield, Charlie Musselwhite and, especially, Mike Bloomfield). Some shots of Chicago's menacing south side round the feeling of being there.

The photographer, a white middle aged fella with accountant/professor looks, became friends with some of the musicians, so the anecdotes are informative and amusing, no mere filler.

Oh, Jackie Wilson is also in the cover and therein somewhere!  8)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 22, 2018, 10:59:19 AM »
Currently, midway through Mick O'Shea's "The Dead Straight Pocket Guide to Ska", which has been something of a disappointment. It hasn't to do with the book in itself: O'Shea is not Joyce or Proust, but the writing is adequate -some factual errors and typos notwithstanding- and the edition is OK for the price.

No, the main problem with this one is the title, which is totally misguiding. I was hoping for a (much needed) reference book about jamaican 60s music, and what I've found is a 2 Tone history. In fact, the origins, development and british reception of blue beat are dealt with in just 70 pages, as a mere foreword to the Specials, Madness and the rest oddisey. Which would have been OK had the publishers titled the book "The Dead Straight Pocket Guide to Two Tone".

All in all, I feel somewhat cheated, and as I think also that the Two Tone history has been widely covered so far, this is another missed opportunity of doing the definitive book on original ska. 

I'm now waiting for the arrival of "The Dead Straight Pocket Guide to Mod", but with this precedent I'm afraid it's going to lean heavily on the revival days, eschewing the original movement.

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 22, 2018, 03:19:19 PM »
Hi GS,

Currently reading Ska'd for Life by Horace Panter,bass player with the Specials.

It's ok with some worthwhile inside accounts of how the band and the 2 tone movement made it mark.

Saw them a couple of times at the old Glasgow Apollo back in 79/80. Not seen them since and don't want to. Saw a couple of things on youtube which put me off. I don't want to spoil those memories.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 22, 2018, 06:19:53 PM »
Hi GS,

Currently reading Ska'd for Life by Horace Panter,bass player with the Specials.

It's ok with some worthwhile inside accounts of how the band and the 2 tone movement made it mark.

That's what I was talking about, Woody: there's literature aplenty about the Specials and the 2 tone label, but it's hard to find a good book that focuses in original ska and/or rocksteady.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 28, 2018, 12:35:01 PM »

No really mod related, but if embdy likes thir crime fiction ah kin recommend "The Way of All Flesh" by Ambrose Parry.

"Ambrose Parry" bein' a pen name fur the joint efforts ay Christopher Brookmyre (author ay "Quite Ugly One Morning" n' aw the other Jack Parlabane novels n' also a St Mirren fan - so he probably shares pedallin' duties wi' Mr Bond ay this parish oan the Buddies supporters tandem travellin' tae away games) wha' has co-authored it wi' his missus (an anaesthetist by trade).

Set in Embra in 1847 when anaesthesia wis in it's experimental stages a young trainee doctor gets tae wonderin' aboot a series ay deaths involvin' young women.

Yin ay the characters always well dressed n' a bit ay a dandy - so there's yir (very tenuous) mod connection.

Ah'll say nae mair than that, but it's a good read.