Author Topic: The What Are You Reading Thread  (Read 142724 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: The What Are You Reading Thread
« Reply #530 on: January 11, 2019, 07:15:33 PM »
If you have an interest for black popular music (and I guess we all have), do yourself a favour and get this book. It's the best book about blues (not just Johnson) I've read so far (and I've read quite a few)

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 16, 2019, 05:32:35 PM »
At The Birth Of Bowie - Phil Lancaster.
Phil Lancaster was the drummer in the Lower Third, a band which Davie Jones / David Bowie fronted between May 65 to January 66.  I was sold on the blurb and was really looking forward to reading it.  Sadly there's not a great deal of insight into this period of Bowie's life.  Lancaster didn't keep a diary at the time so it's difficult to escape the conclusion that this memoir isn't coloured by rose tinted glasses.  This also makes for some frustratingly vague, half remembered reminisces which don't seem to have much point at times.  What we do learn is that Dave liked a spliff ("his first forays into drug taking"); In '65 he was using the cut up technique to create lyrics ("Phil was there as the singer's musical stripes began to show"); Dave liked men and women ("the band's discovery of his bisexuality in shocking circumstances"), but doesn't read as such a shocking discovery.  The author also has a tendency to begin a warts and all anecdote to abruptly cut it short with "but that's between me and x and I'll never reveal that secret upon the pain of death" type statement so, why bother putting it in?  He also, and this really grates with me, refers to himself as yours truly:  just use a pronoun instead! It reads much better.
So, it's an okay book but perhaps one for the Bowie completist.

And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 16, 2019, 06:23:23 PM »
At The Birth Of Bowie - Phil Lancaster.
Phil Lancaster was the drummer in the Lower Third, a band which Davie Jones / David Bowie fronted between May 65 to January 66.  I was sold on the blurb and was really looking forward to reading it.  Sadly there's not a great deal of insight into this period of Bowie's life.  Lancaster didn't keep a diary at the time so it's difficult to escape the conclusion that this memoir isn't coloured by rose tinted glasses.  This also makes for some frustratingly vague, half remembered reminisces which don't seem to have much point at times.  What we do learn is that Dave liked a spliff ("his first forays into drug taking"); In '65 he was using the cut up technique to create lyrics ("Phil was there as the singer's musical stripes began to show"); Dave liked men and women ("the band's discovery of his bisexuality in shocking circumstances"), but doesn't read as such a shocking discovery.  The author also has a tendency to begin a warts and all anecdote to abruptly cut it short with "but that's between me and x and I'll never reveal that secret upon the pain of death" type statement so, why bother putting it in?  He also, and this really grates with me, refers to himself as yours truly:  just use a pronoun instead! It reads much better.
So, it's an okay book but perhaps one for the Bowie completist.

It looks like those people who write a whole "insider" book about the Beatles because they were the nephew/brother-in-law/cousin of the janitor in McCartney's building when he moved to London. I hadn't high hopes in the Bowie's book anyway, but after Ady's review I'll definitely pass on it.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 16, 2019, 02:06:42 PM »
Just got the new MARY QUANT book that was published to coincide with the V&A exhibition. A beautifully put together item full of photos, designs and ephemera from the 50s through to the golden period of the 1960s when she was a name on everyone's lips in terms of design. Lovely item. Recommend it. Whet's my appetite even more for the actual exhibition. Still a few weeks to wait for that though.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 28, 2019, 08:45:02 PM »

Jist finished readin' A Man's World: The Double Life of Emile Griffith by Donald McRae.

Biography ay five time world champion (Welterweight n' Middleweight) boxer Emile Griffith.  His boxin' career wis defined by three fights against Benny "Kid" Paret.  His personal life wis defined by the fact that altho' he had a few dalliances wi' women, he wis overwhelmingly gay in a macho profession at a time when it wis still illegal tae be homosexual anyway.  After the first fight v Paret, the subsequent contests had a build up ay taunts n' insults bein' directed at Griffith wi' the term "Maricon" bein' hurled at him.  Next twa fights wur bad tempered in the extreme n' the third bout ended wi' Paret takin' a real beatin' in a corner.  (Ah huv seen this fight oan YouTube n' Griffiths lands ower 20 unanswered punches before the ref finally steps in tae stop it).  Paret wis rushed tae hospital in a coma fae which he never recovered before eventually dyin'.

Griffith couldnae face fightin' again fur a long time n' even when he returned he wis initially scared tae throw heid shots.  Had an extended family tae support (up tae 17 members at it's peak) so financial pressures kept him boxin'.  On the personal front he wis havin' tae deal wi' the twin prejudices against his black skin n' his  secret gayness.

It's a great read if ye ur interested in boxin', 

Mod link somewhit tenuously in that it mentions when Griffith had a fight in London he wid often frequent the Le Duce club in Soho.  This wis a gay mod venue as detailed in the link below.

http://jackthatcatwasclean.blogspot.com/2008/02/gay-london-at-le-duce.html

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 29, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »

Jist finished readin' A Man's World: The Double Life of Emile Griffith by Donald McRae.

Biography ay five time world champion (Welterweight n' Middleweight) boxer Emile Griffith.  His boxin' career wis defined by three fights against Benny "Kid" Paret.  His personal life wis defined by the fact that altho' he had a few dalliances wi' women, he wis overwhelmingly gay in a macho profession at a time when it wis still illegal tae be homosexual anyway.  After the first fight v Paret, the subsequent contests had a build up ay taunts n' insults bein' directed at Griffith wi' the term "Maricon" bein' hurled at him.  Next twa fights wur bad tempered in the extreme n' the third bout ended wi' Paret takin' a real beatin' in a corner.  (Ah huv seen this fight oan YouTube n' Griffiths lands ower 20 unanswered punches before the ref finally steps in tae stop it).  Paret wis rushed tae hospital in a coma fae which he never recovered before eventually dyin'.

Griffith couldnae face fightin' again fur a long time n' even when he returned he wis initially scared tae throw heid shots.  Had an extended family tae support (up tae 17 members at it's peak) so financial pressures kept him boxin'.  On the personal front he wis havin' tae deal wi' the twin prejudices against his black skin n' his  secret gayness.

It's a great read if ye ur interested in boxin', 

Mod link somewhit tenuously in that it mentions when Griffith had a fight in London he wid often frequent the Le Duce club in Soho.  This wis a gay mod venue as detailed in the link below.

http://jackthatcatwasclean.blogspot.com/2008/02/gay-london-at-le-duce.html

Great review, Laird, keep 'em coming.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 29, 2019, 12:35:43 PM »
Great over view of what sounds like a fascinating book. The link too was a great read. Interesting stuff.

Becky_Moffitt_83

• Mod Goddess... enough said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 29, 2019, 01:21:03 PM »
Just got the new MARY QUANT book that was published to coincide with the V&A exhibition. A beautifully put together item full of photos, designs and ephemera from the 50s through to the golden period of the 1960s when she was a name on everyone's lips in terms of design. Lovely item. Recommend it. Whet's my appetite even more for the actual exhibition. Still a few weeks to wait for that though.

I made a preorder for my copy on Amazon back in March, waiting for it to arrive to me here in Oz...  8) I'm going to the exhibition in November on my birthday as a special treat to myself. Some of my pieces are in the exhibition by default... That is, some women have donated their items and by coincidence, I have some of those pieces in my wardrobe/collection too, including 2 MQ Bazaar dresses, as well... Had to scrimp and save for the airfare, now just have to save for accomodation and spending money (lack thereof)...  ;)
“The fashionable woman wears clothes. The clothes don't wear her.” Mary Quant