Author Topic: The What Are You Reading Thread  (Read 121532 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: The What Are You Reading Thread
« Reply #490 on: December 23, 2017, 05:12:29 PM »

I came across (and bought) these two delightful books in the huge New York's bookstore The Strand, and they're highly recommended. Both have to do with fashion and subcultures, and while "Cool" is more entertaining and useful tan essential, "Rebel threads" should be required reading for every pop culture aficionado out there, it's that good.

"Cool" is above all a useful and profusely illustrated summation of the youth subcultures from the 1920s to the 21st century, offering the basic data of every youth movement you can think of in double page spreads, even subcultures as little known as russian stilyagi or congolese bills.

On the downside, while the drawings aren't bad and serve their purpose, I miss the accuracy of proper photographs. Infomation is fairly basic too and while the authors get it broadly right I've spotted several mistakes and missed the oh-so important details that would have made the book a masterpiece (as in the chapter dedicated to mods/modernists)

But I woudn't like to sound too picky here, because as an introduction to the topic this book is unbeatable and an utter delight to flick through, thoroughly enjoyable. The icing on the cake are the music playlists featured that cover nicely all the periods and styles discussed in the book.

Meanwhile, "Rebel threads" (issued last october) is the best style book published in 2017 hands down. With more tan 1.000 photographs of period clothes and focused in the 20th century decades that run from the 50s to the 80s, its main source is the unbelievable vintage clothing collection of Roger K. Burton, the same guy who provided the "Quadrophenia" outfits, no less. Thus the accompanying text is accurate and insightful, but the star of the show are of course the pics. You're in for a treat if you get this one, fellas.

More details on it in the book's website (including a nice interview with the autor by Eddie Piller)

https://www.rebel-threads.com/

Oh, if someone is interested both books are pretty cheap now in Amazon.

Robin_Wick

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 08, 2018, 10:53:59 PM »
Just picked up From Somewhere Out Of Here, the book on Mod in Birmingham and the Black Country during the 80s...

Some great info - heaps on clothes, playlists etc - but frustratingly few photographs... enjoying it, though!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 10, 2018, 06:21:20 PM »
I read some praise for this graphic novel months ago (it won, it seems, the prestigious Angouleme Bande Dessinee prize), but as it was just available in french, I passed on it... till today, when I've just learned a spanish translation is on its way, with a due date of late april.

It's set in 1967 France, with a coming of age story intertwined with a spy plot, two genres most of us love. Add to that a charming (or should it be "chic"?) retro drawing style and we have a winner. 

Oddly, there doesn't seem to be an english edition right now (still it's been translated to german and italian, that I'm aware of)

Another fiction that uses 60s France (the Cote d'Azur during the summer, no less) as its backdrop is "Celeste 65", a novel by my fellow countryman José C. Vales. Having finished it just some weeks ago, I dare to state that it's a hugely enjoyable artifact that blends high culture and pop -even Mods get a mention!- to good effect, an unforgettable novel and a mastercourse in narrative structure. Highly recommended, but I'm afraid you'll have to wait till an english Publisher gives it a chance (Maybe too difficult for you, Ady? You can look inside in the Amazon page)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 30, 2018, 12:01:08 PM »
Two long-awaited ítems (one of them of course is a disc, not a book):

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 05, 2018, 05:34:21 PM »
I read some praise for this graphic novel months ago (it won, it seems, the prestigious Angouleme Bande Dessinee prize), but as it was just available in french, I passed on it... till today, when I've just learned a spanish translation is on its way, with a due date of late april.

It's set in 1967 France, with a coming of age story intertwined with a spy plot, two genres most of us love. Add to that a charming (or should it be "chic"?) retro drawing style and we have a winner. 

Oddly, there doesn't seem to be an english edition right now (still it's been translated to german and italian, that I'm aware of)

Another fiction that uses 60s France (the Cote d'Azur during the summer, no less) as its backdrop is "Celeste 65", a novel by my fellow countryman José C. Vales. Having finished it just some weeks ago, I dare to state that it's a hugely enjoyable artifact that blends high culture and pop -even Mods get a mention!- to good effect, an unforgettable novel and a mastercourse in narrative structure. Highly recommended, but I'm afraid you'll have to wait till an english Publisher gives it a chance (Maybe too difficult for you, Ady? You can look inside in the Amazon page)

Thank Greeny!  I have had a look inside on Amazon and I will order a copy.  I got the gist of what I read but I will need my dictionary at hand!!!

Yesterday I bought the new James Bond continuation novel Forever and a Day by Anthony Horwitz and it is excellent.  It is set before Fleming's first Bond novel and Horowitz really does capture Fleming's style and also the era in which it is set really rather well.  I'm about half way through it and am enjoying it as much as Trigger Mortis.  Recommended for any fans of the original novels.
And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: June 05, 2018, 06:06:53 PM »

Thank Greeny!  I have had a look inside on Amazon and I will order a copy.  I got the gist of what I read but I will need my dictionary at hand!!!

Yesterday I bought the new James Bond continuation novel Forever and a Day by Anthony Horwitz and it is excellent.  It is set before Fleming's first Bond novel and Horowitz really does capture Fleming's style and also the era in which it is set really rather well.  I'm about half way through it and am enjoying it as much as Trigger Mortis.  Recommended for any fans of the original novels.

You're welcome, Ady, amigo mío. Keep in mind this is a challenge for any spanish learner, as the guy who wrote it is kind of a language wizard (tho' in contrast his style and grammar are fairly straightforward, with very short chapters, as if snapshots of each summer day), not shy to display a dazzling vocabulary. But I think the extra effort will be rewarded and you'll enjoy it (the cote d'azur 60s summer setting surely helps)

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 06, 2018, 05:05:31 PM »

You're welcome, Ady, amigo mío. Keep in mind this is a challenge for any spanish learner, as the guy who wrote it is kind of a language wizard (tho' in contrast his style and grammar are fairly straightforward, with very short chapters, as if snapshots of each summer day), not shy to display a dazzling vocabulary. But I think the extra effort will be rewarded and you'll enjoy it (the cote d'azur 60s summer setting surely helps)
Just placed an order for it as I found a UK seller.  Looking forward to it.  I need to push myself along with my Spanish and this will be a good opportunity.

Ian_B

• Old Man Ian
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 04, 2018, 01:03:49 PM »

Seconded, wholeheartedly !
Grammar = the difference between knowing your s**t, and knowing you're s**t!

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 04, 2018, 07:42:34 PM »

Seconded, wholeheartedly !

It's a belter, isn't it?!  Thoroughly enjoyed it.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 06, 2018, 10:16:14 AM »
It's been quite a while since I pre-ordered this and here it is, just in time for holiday reading:

Chock full of candid everyday life snapshots (B&W and colour) of mid-60s US: