Author Topic: The What Are You Reading Thread  (Read 136822 times)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: The What Are You Reading Thread
« Reply #520 on: December 18, 2018, 03:35:08 PM »
My copy arrived last night. Given it a bit of a thumb through and it looks a lovely little book to be fair. Smiler excells in his own writing but did a fantastic job pulling together so many great people with fascinating anecdotes and info from across the decades. I feel quite privileged to be amongst some of the company I share page space with. He knows the proper guys and gals from all through the years so really do feel the lucky one for being asked to get involved. And yes Woody! That is indeed me on the boat. Was a really good one this time too. Rarely miss them. In fact maybe only two since they've begun.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 18, 2018, 05:08:36 PM »

Cool or what? Just a couple of pics from a great book I've just received, Jean Pierre Leloir's "Jazz Images". I guess the title says it all, but to put it in context, that bloke, Leloir, was the foremost french jazz photographer, and this collection traces his work from the 50s and 60s. As post-war France was a magnet for US jazz musicians then, the content is a who's who of that milieu (Dizzy, Miles, Ella... ). But maybe the most interesting trait of the book is that Leloir's oeuvre has rarely been seen outside of France and in fact many pics haven't been published before. That, and the casual, playful settings are what gives Leloir's book the edge over the similar William Claxton's "Jazz Images". Truth is Claxton is the canonic modern jazz photographer, and his book a must-own, but a lot of his pictures are fairly well known.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 19, 2018, 01:33:19 PM »
Looks like amazing clarity on those shots of Miles mate. Nice one.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 19, 2018, 04:24:24 PM »
Looks like amazing clarity on those shots of Miles mate. Nice one.

The guy was an amazing photographer. There are more formal and on stage-type shots, of course, but the casual, off-guard ones -for instance, some of Coltrane and Chet Baker- are unforgettable.

Ian_B

• Old Man Ian
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 20, 2018, 05:03:49 PM »
Just finished Smiler's excellent "Pocket Guide to Mod" .. an excellent, well-researched read (as we have come to expect from Paul) and far more interesting and in-depth than the title could lead you to believe on first sight ;)
I even get a mention or two in this one (not that I let that influence me ;) )
Grammar = the difference between knowing your s**t, and knowing you're s**t!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: December 21, 2018, 01:23:55 PM »
Certainly my understanding is that the guys behind it weren't too picky about how things were done but once Smiler was involved he convinced them of all the failings other similar 'good as a gift' type books make and what folk like us really want to see in a book of any nature. They took it on board and he really cracked on to get some good stuff in there and we have ended up with a really nice little publication. Glad you got a mention too fella.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 21, 2018, 04:24:57 PM »
Certainly my understanding is that the guys behind it weren't too picky about how things were done but once Smiler was involved he convinced them of all the failings other similar 'good as a gift' type books make and what folk like us really want to see in a book of any nature. They took it on board and he really cracked on to get some good stuff in there and we have ended up with a really nice little publication. Glad you got a mention too fella.

We have been lucky Smiler got the job then. My copy's expected next friday.  :-\

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 27, 2018, 11:26:40 AM »
Yes mate. Smiler put the publishers straight on what people like us really want to see and read in a book like this and they were well up for it. Just finished my copy. Exceptional. Honest, funny and eye-opening in places too even for old timers like many of us.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 27, 2018, 06:14:53 PM »
Yes mate. Smiler put the publishers straight on what people like us really want to see and read in a book like this and they were well up for it. Just finished my copy. Exceptional. Honest, funny and eye-opening in places too even for old timers like many of us.

Agree on all accounts, Martin. Finally my copy came before the scheduled delivery date, so I'm in the first chapters of the book. And I have to say Smiler has done it again; he's without a doubt the best chronicler of the mod scene past and present since the Richard Barnes days.

Not only his knowledge of the subject is vast to the point of encyclopedic, he also knows how to transmit it with plenty skills and an infectious passion. The amount of new information is unbelievable for a scene so well documented along the years, so it's become fascinating reading for me. I've yet to finish it, but maybe it's the best cheap volume on modernism (the BIBLE being his "new religion" book).

Now waiting eagerly for Smiler's "Mod Art".

Mutley

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 01, 2019, 06:03:18 PM »
Just one chapter in to Memphis 68 The Tragedy of Southern Soul and already lovin' it  :)  8)
If you ooze masculinity, like some of us do, you have no reason to fear pink.