Author Topic: Best British Tv series/drama 2013?  (Read 4604 times)

Smiler

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Best British Tv series/drama 2013?
« on: December 19, 2013, 10:19:47 AM »
I know lots of you love Mad Men, boardwalk Empire etc but what in your opinion was the best home made struggling this year?

I know Ripper Street, Whitechapel and Peaky Blinders will probably prove popular but to me Channel Four's 'Utopia' did it for me. How about you?

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
Re: Best British Tv series/drama 2013?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »
I know lots of you love Mad Men, boardwalk Empire etc but what in your opinion was the best home made struggling this year?

I know Ripper Street, Whitechapel and Peaky Blinders will probably prove popular but to me Channel Four's 'Utopia' did it for me. How about you?

Didn't watch the first two, but thought Peaky Blinders was brilliant, bar Sam Neill's atrocious Belfast accent (being from Norn Iron, this is a pet hate of mine!). Wonderful soundtrack, too. Agree wholeheartedly regarding 'Utopia', head-meltingly brilliant. Cannot wait for the second series!
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

Soulstar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 11:45:16 AM »
God, this has made me realise how much I didn't get around to seeing. Had planned to watch Ripper St, Wrong Mans and Broadchurch but missed them all.

I liked Utopia, too - proper disturbing stuff, at times. My attention drifted a bit towards the end (until the finale).

I liked Peaky Blinders and I think the Beeb were quite brave - for a change - and it paid off.

Danny Baker did a great little series about landmark soul / rock etc albums. I think it was bbc3 and it's just been re-commissioned.

A wildcard - there was a series like a "bake-off" programme but it was about making clothes. Amateur "seamstresses" had to make a suit, shirt etc. I thought it was great. :-[

Jaysus, apologies for the ramble. For me:

Best Factual: Danny Baker's Album Show.
Drama:Peaky Blinders

Red Steve

• ...gettin' long in the tooth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 12:22:34 PM »
Utopia was simply mind blowing.

Soulstar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »
Utopia was simply mind blowing.

Almost eye-popping at times, Steve! (bawk!).

ianeggbert

• Vintage becoming veteran
    • View Profile
    • The Acoustic Egg Box
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 01:39:39 PM »

Didn't watch the first two, but thought Peaky Blinders was brilliant, bar Sam Neill's atrocious Belfast accent (being from Norn Iron, this is a pet hate of mine!). Wonderful soundtrack, too. Agree wholeheartedly regarding 'Utopia', head-meltingly brilliant. Cannot wait for the second series!

Nick, on the accent front It is just as frustrating for me when I hear a west country "accent" (the actors in Broadchurch were particularly culpable this year - shocking!)

As far as the best TV goes, I agree, Utopia was absolutely brilliant and inventive, humorous and shocking - in some scenes all at the same time. I thought Peaky Blinders was superb and didn't actually mind the anachronistic choice of music. The Fall (another one in Belfast Nick) was edge of the seat stuff and Gillian Anderson was excellent. The Village was as bleak as it could be with the backdrop of the First World War, but compelling stuff with great performances from Maxine Peake, John Simm and the young Nico Mirallegro playing the character of Joe Middleton as a boy. On the comedy front, I was expecting to be annoyed to the core by James Corden but the Wrong Mans was actually very funny and well done. For sheer laugh out loud moments (and from a straw poll of my friends I know it was definitely a "marmite" show), Man Down with Greg Davies was puerile, grotesque un-PC and crude, but being as unsophisticated as I am, it appealed to my basic requirements!

There were, I'm sure some other great moments but these were my favourites       
It's not the cost of the suit that counts, it's the worth of the man inside it

Twitter: @IanPople1

Col Wolfe

• East Anglia
    • View Profile
    • >>> Spoke Records <<<
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 02:29:26 PM »
Really pleased to see Utopia getting lots of nods.  I really enjoyed it but it seems to have missed most peoples radar.  Neil Maskell makes for an excellent psychopath.

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 02:31:57 PM »

Nick, on the accent front It is just as frustrating for me when I hear a west country "accent" (the actors in Broadchurch were particularly culpable this year - shocking!)
As far as the best TV goes, I agree, Utopia was absolutely brilliant and inventive, humorous and shocking - in some scenes all at the same time. I thought Peaky Blinders was superb and didn't actually mind the anachronistic choice of music. The Fall (another one in Belfast Nick) was edge of the seat stuff and Gillian Anderson was excellent. The Village was as bleak as it could be with the backdrop of the First World War, but compelling stuff with great performances from Maxine Peake, John Simm and the young Nico Mirallegro playing the character of Joe Middleton as a boy. On the comedy front, I was expecting to be annoyed to the core by James Corden but the Wrong Mans was actually very funny and well done. For sheer laugh out loud moments (and from a straw poll of my friends I know it was definitely a "marmite" show), Man Down with Greg Davies was puerile, grotesque un-PC and crude, but being as unsophisticated as I am, it appealed to my basic requirements!

Absolutely no need for it, Ian. I know that sometimes they need a headline 'act' to sell the show, but there are great actors actually from Belfast, Bristol, Birmingham, wherever, who could fill these roles.  >:(

Someone's just given me a copy of The Fall, which I missed. Will be watching that over Xmas. Gillian Anderson *does Vic Reeves-esque rubbing of thighs*  ;)
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

ianeggbert

• Vintage becoming veteran
    • View Profile
    • The Acoustic Egg Box
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 02:39:45 PM »

Absolutely no need for it, Ian. I know that sometimes they need a headline 'act' to sell the show, but there are great actors actually from Belfast, Bristol, Birmingham, wherever, who could fill these roles.  >:(

Someone's just given me a copy of The Fall, which I missed. Will be watching that over Xmas. Gillian Anderson *does Vic Reeves-esque rubbing of thighs*  ;)

you'll like this then mate - without giving too much away she's a woman who knows what she likes and nothings going to stop her getting it!  ;)
It's not the cost of the suit that counts, it's the worth of the man inside it

Twitter: @IanPople1

Stax

• Just realised you can change the 'just joined' bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 02:40:50 PM »
God, this has made me realise how much I didn't get around to seeing. Had planned to watch Ripper St, Wrong Mans and Broadchurch but missed them all.

I liked Utopia, too - proper disturbing stuff, at times. My attention drifted a bit towards the end (until the finale).

I liked Peaky Blinders and I think the Beeb were quite brave - for a change - and it paid off.

Danny Baker did a great little series about landmark soul / rock etc albums. I think it was bbc3 and it's just been re-commissioned.

A wildcard - there was a series like a "bake-off" programme but it was about making clothes. Amateur "seamstresses" had to make a suit, shirt etc. I thought it was great. :-[

Jaysus, apologies for the ramble. For me:

Best Factual: Danny Baker's Album Show.
Drama:Peaky Blinders

Was that Danny Baker show the one where one of the guests on an episode was Mica Paris? I had to turn it off halfway through because nobody could get a word in over her.