Author Topic: Beards  (Read 9281 times)

theoneandonlyjasetheface

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Beards
« on: December 19, 2013, 02:24:57 PM »
Ok probably considered a very  un "mod" thing  to have yet there  is a resurgence in facial hair and not  just because of  last  months  Movember it seems to be a  fashion statement. Recent  pictures  of "Media Mods" have been wearing face furniture i.e. Bradley Wiggins, Eddie Pillar etc - I myself have even been growing a  beard for the  last  8 weeks. Many other  people seem to be wearing them and apparently its the male population in a post TOWIE world regaining their masculinity after the whole fake tan brigade assaulted our senses. As fashion  looks  back to the 20's and  30's (Gatsby, Peeky Blinders etc) it has  become apparent that a beard can look great  with a tailored  look -and when you  look at  the  whole post  mod  era of the late  60's when hair  became  longer and then the hairy seventies arrived as a backlash against the slightly effeminate Hippy culture happened -do you think that a  similar  thing is happening now? Can a beard be  seen as "mod" or  is it  just for hipsters and beatniks? I'd  like  to read your  thoughts  on this  matter. :0)

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
Re: Beards
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 03:03:08 PM »
No. Absolutely not. Never.

I struggle to think of anyone cool with a beard. There's probably a few but they are extremely rare.

Shaving is what separates us from the animals. It's not sense of self, opposable thumbs or use of tools. It's the sense of self to realise how crap beards are, and the employment of opposable thumbs to pick up a razor and scrape that s**t off.

StevePWilliams

• Dolce Far Niente
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 03:57:29 PM »
I tried a beard middle of this year, because it was something a bit different, I loved it for about a month.

But then I realised how t**tty it makes you seem. You start getting people say "nice beard" and stuff, it's just f**king weird! haha

Whilst not perceived as 'mod', I still think they can look ok, but I don't buy into the whole 'bearded gentleman' thing, as if it puts those with facial hair on a pedestal. I think a beard is much more a fashion/trend thing, which I don't think goes along with the style of looking timelessly sharp/crisp - which is what 'mods' do in my opinion.

Notable t**tty look people include the likes of Ricki Hall & Nick Wooster.
Concilio et Labore

theoneandonlyjasetheface

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 04:28:31 PM »
I tried a beard middle of this year, because it was something a bit different, I loved it for about a month.

But then I realised how t**tty it makes you seem. You start getting people say "nice beard" and stuff, it's just f**king weird! haha

Whilst not perceived as 'mod', I still think they can look ok, but I don't buy into the whole 'bearded gentleman' thing, as if it puts those with facial hair on a pedestal. I think a beard is much more a fashion/trend thing, which I don't think goes along with the style of looking timelessly sharp/crisp - which is what 'mods' do in my opinion.

Notable t**tty look people include the likes of Ricki Hall & Nick Wooster.

I see where you are  coming from with that. Ricki Hall looks amazing in some  of  his tailored photo shoots  but as  most  of the  time  it will be photos  flashing tatts and  the  whole  scruffy hunter gatherer thing -  he  does  just look like a  hobo which isn't a  cool look at all. as for  Nick Wooster he wears shorts with suits it just doesn't  look right -especially a man of  his age -he should  know  better. Even though my  beard at  the  mo is getting  longish I tend  to keep it trimmed  into a nice shape and  so on but after  Christmas will no doubt get rid of it. although I have strong  Mod/ Modernist  leanings, I am very  much  my own individual who also likes  elements  of other subcultures of the  past and is always on the  look out for  something  new too, so therefore see the emergence  of more facial hair as an interesting reflection of the  current  times. could  it  be that Wiggo is just trying  to look a bit  different  and  maybe distance  himself  from the  stereotypical Mod  look, or  could  it  be  he  is  just being  lazy at the  moment? :0)

Monkey

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Picks
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 04:45:43 PM »
I'm clean shaven today for the first time in over two months (had trimmed beard with scissors a few times so not into Bellamy territory) and it's taken years off me. That said, I'll probably start the whole process over again soon. Wouldn't say beards look "smart" or even particularly good; just enjoy cultivating one!
The same few words in a different order can be found at http://www.monkeypicks.co.uk Latest Posts: The Redskins, Wireless Show, The Action's Rolled Gold by Sidewalk Society reviewed.

hopsack dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 10:59:02 PM »
If you can grow a proper thick full beard and keep it as clean and sharp as the hair on your head, then sure, go for it. Mod should have plenty of wiggle room for a well kept beard.

Would go great with the "country mod" look ie gun club check jackets, hacking jackets, tweed trousers, tattersall pattern shirts, brogues, etc etc.
All gold guzzlers, wallabee clarks
Young cold hustlers, obviously sharp

Spike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 11:25:34 PM »

Shaving is what separates us from the animals. It's not sense of self, opposable thumbs or use of tools. It's the sense of self to realise how crap beards are, and the employment of opposable thumbs to pick up a razor and scrape that s**t off.

And I rest my case M'lud...

Rod - probably the best paragraph I've read on here in a while.

I'm with Rod and Steve P here, Don't want to seem too trad but just don't think beards ever belong with a mod look. Not bad just not mod.

Mind you I have for short times sported a goatee, Richard III ? and a moderately camp tash. For which I carry a heavy burden of shame.

babyshambler

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 12:11:31 AM »

8)

Jonny

• Just joined
    • View Profile
    • Jonny Monk Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 12:48:10 AM »
Save it for when you're trying not to get ID'd when you're 15 at the pub or when you're raising money for prostate cancer for 30 days a year. Otherwise just hack it off!

Diabolik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 07:08:23 AM »
If you think beards are cool, then fine. Of course you'd be wrong and the fact that it appears to be a "fashion" thing at the moment puts me off them even more. I certainly wouldn't grow one to distance myself from Towie, I'd rather continue to just dress well and not tan myself Orange to do that. Personally, I'm just not ready to look even more like my Dad.