Author Topic: What Are You Currently Listening To?  (Read 616231 times)

Mo

• Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Listening To?
« Reply #1790 on: November 01, 2020, 03:35:31 PM »
They were well ahead of the curve. They weren't known as the Fab Four for nothing, truly groundbreaking stuff never to be equalled, let alone surpassed

I worried a little about posting anything on the Beatles here. Not everyone's bag I know.

You 'll learn that not any single thing is everyone's bag on here, Mo..Don't let that stop you.. ;)

Ha ha, I'll try not too. 👍. ✌️
And my soul has been psychedelicized.

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: November 02, 2020, 06:55:49 PM »
The Yardbirds aka Roger the Engineer. Quite a odd album. Haven't listened to this in years. Still quite don't know what to make of it. The reissue does have Happenings Ten Years Time Ago and it's b side Psycho Daisies. I'd say that the Little Games album is better.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: November 03, 2020, 11:29:53 AM »
The Yardbirds aka Roger the Engineer. Quite a odd album. Haven't listened to this in years. Still quite don't know what to make of it. The reissue does have Happenings Ten Years Time Ago and it's b side Psycho Daisies. I'd say that the Little Games album is better.

Unlike most first-rate 60s British bands, The Yardbirds never quite made a stand-out album. The closest they were was "Five Live Yardbirds", and that's just a live recording that documents the band at the peak of their early powers, issued when LPs were little more than 45s comps with hastily recorded filler.

Their later efforts, though bands like the Beatles, the Kinks or the Stones were already showing the way towards albums as an "artistic statements", were uneven and haphazard collections without little care for cohesion or an unifying concept.

From that point of view, it's difficult to choose between "Roger the Engineer" and "Little Games", as they both feel as compilations of current Yardbirds' songs more than coherent albums. So it depends on you liking more the songs on one of them above the other.

There are some outstanding songs on both, btw, but to me "Roger the Engineer" has the edge, in part because it was the first of the two I owned and in part because it's more r&b-oriented (and hence coherent) than "Little Games", in which the Yardbirds seemed desperate to try anything that put them back in the major leagues.

Ematt

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: November 03, 2020, 03:01:07 PM »
Roger The Engineer is the better album for me, but its no great shakes. The Yardbirds got left behind awfully quickly and i always struggled with Keith Relf`s vocals.

But i am currently listening to the new single by Iraina Mancini, Shotgun.

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: November 04, 2020, 02:53:43 PM »
For me, The Yardbirds failed to live up to their full potential regarding their albums.
66 could e been the year for them. Three great singles, though Over,Under isn't THAT good compared to Shapes and Happenings. And a marvellous scene in Blow Up.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: November 04, 2020, 04:49:53 PM »
For me, The Yardbirds failed to live up to their full potential regarding their albums.
66 could e been the year for them. Three great singles, though Over,Under isn't THAT good compared to Shapes and Happenings. And a marvellous scene in Blow Up.

Totally agree, Mo. Maybe too many guitar aces in the same yard  ;D

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: November 05, 2020, 10:42:37 AM »
The Moons 'Pocket Melodies'. Never been that much of a fan, tbh, but Ian Pople of this parish has been raving about it of late so I had a listen. He's right, it's a consistently good album throughout.
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: November 05, 2020, 11:26:28 AM »
The Moons 'Pocket Melodies'. Never been that much of a fan, tbh, but Ian Pople of this parish has been raving about it of late so I had a listen. He's right, it's a consistently good album throughout.

I concur, Nick, unashamedly retro stuff (Kinks and psych-era Small Faces come to mind), but the front guy is a fine songwriter and the record sounds superb.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: November 05, 2020, 11:50:00 AM »

I concur, Nick, unashamedly retro stuff (Kinks and psych-era Small Faces come to mind), but the front guy is a fine songwriter and the record sounds superb.

This one reminded me of The Goods Gone in the intro' , nice . .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-lUK-BCrPOg
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 11:59:17 AM by Simon Bond »
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: November 05, 2020, 11:58:02 AM »
Been listening to the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble too , something different for the eclectic tastes . . https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uro5Qh-mwnk&list=OLAK5uy_k_eWKIjo49w7hdpziRHbJRet5wzHbTgEA&index=6
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!