Author Topic: What Are You Currently Listening To?  (Read 636721 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Listening To?
« Reply #1921 on: February 14, 2021, 07:32:13 PM »
I don't know is on 3rd
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: February 15, 2021, 10:24:25 AM »

Is it just me, or why do I feel like I'm looking at a bad Abbot and Costello routine???

;D

Mo

• Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: February 15, 2021, 11:45:39 AM »
Watched this yesterday. Great stuff.
https://youtu.be/OODJDdIbkF4

Including Chuck Berry, The Miricles and Marvin Gaye.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 11:57:01 AM by Mo »
And my soul has been psychedelicized.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: February 15, 2021, 12:54:19 PM »

I have a DVD copy of this, Mo. James Brown TORE it up!
Bit of trivia (maybe you heard this before) there was a argument between the Stones people and Brown as to who would get the "prime" spot to go last, the Stones won the spot to follow JB, Jagger and Richards then watched JB's set from the wings and muttered to each other: "We're f*cked..." ;D
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: February 15, 2021, 03:05:50 PM »

Bit of trivia (maybe you heard this before) there was a argument between the Stones people and Brown as to who would get the "prime" spot to go last, the Stones won the spot to follow JB, Jagger and Richards then watched JB's set from the wings and muttered to each other: "We're f*cked..." ;D
;D
Not stuck in the 60's

Mo

• Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: February 15, 2021, 03:24:35 PM »

Yeah, heard that story of Brown and the Stones. I don't think anybody touched him on that show. He was superb.
And my soul has been psychedelicized.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: February 15, 2021, 06:41:20 PM »
Oddly, according to the Ready Steady Go! book, James Brown's special program received scathing reviews from the musical mags and generated a lot of incensed readers' letters in the press (and not only from the "wrong" side of the generation gap). One of the most frequent criticisms aimed to his show was that the theatrical routines were dumb and naive, the church and popular black culture references obviously lost in translation. Many critics also mistook rawness for vulgarity. To us the worst outcome of that universally hostile reception is possibly that no one had the incentive to preserve the tapes!

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: February 15, 2021, 11:33:58 PM »

Yeah, heard that story of Brown and the Stones. I don't think anybody touched him on that show. He was superb.

I used to love James Brown till his latter days when drugs got the better of him and he used to spout absolute embarrassing bollocks in interviews etc. Anyway I saw a decent JB documentary recently in which an opposing view was put forward about the TAMI show. As much as Jagger et al admired JB they weren’t that threatened by having to follow his stellar performance as after every act they moved out all the audience and replaced
them with a new one so even though JB tore it up, it wasn’t really a come down when the Stones came on as it was a whole new set of kids and they literally didn’t know what they’d just missed. Jagger even says as much in the documentary. He could of course just be trying to save face but fifty years on I doubt he’d be so worried about it now as to concoct an easily disprovable story just to preserve his blushes. He should be more embarrassed about his wimpy “Who’s fighting and what for?” plea at Altamont!!