Author Topic: What Are You Currently Listening To?  (Read 616225 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Listening To?
« Reply #1930 on: February 16, 2021, 01:12:18 PM »
Checking out the new release by Celeste: "Not your Muse"
 Impressive voice, a little "Amy", a little Billie...
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Mo

• Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: February 16, 2021, 03:15:01 PM »
Not really a fan of the Hollies but this is a great track and a decent clip.

https://youtu.be/C2EI0Jk1FDU

Also covered by Paul and Barry Ryan and the Searchers.
And my soul has been psychedelicized.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: February 16, 2021, 05:23:56 PM »
Not really a fan of the Hollies but this is a great track and a decent clip.

https://youtu.be/C2EI0Jk1FDU

Also covered by Paul and Barry Ryan and the Searchers.

The fact they didn't put that on a 45 is another proof -if needed- that they were as gifted as any of the 60s pop best songwriters; maybe not royalty like Lennon, McCartney or Ray Davies, but up there with Graham Gouldman, Carter/Lewis, Roy Wood or Billy Nichols (to mention just young brilliant British songsmiths). They gave the song instead to the Searchers, who did a good job with it that lacked however the drive of the Hollies original. It's true that Graham Nash was later vindicated by his work with Crosby, Stills & Young (no mean songwriters themselves), but a reappraisal of the Hollies writing trio is still due.

And as performers they were just perfection, to the extent that George Harrison accused them of sounding like session cats in their "If I Needed Someone"'s cover.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: February 16, 2021, 05:26:46 PM »

Someone tipped me on her, Mike, she sure can sing  8)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: February 16, 2021, 11:44:10 PM »

Someone tipped me on her, Mike, she sure can sing  8)

Came across a story about her in the NYTimes Arts section over the weekend, checked her out on Spotify...

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: February 17, 2021, 10:34:41 AM »

Yeah, heard that story of Brown and the Stones. I don't think anybody touched him on that show. He was superb.

I guess it difficult to follow a genius especially if all you have to offer is American Blues music performed by a load of middle class white guys from England. :D
Not stuck in the 60's

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: February 17, 2021, 12:38:27 PM »

Yeah, heard that story of Brown and the Stones. I don't think anybody touched him on that show. He was superb.

I guess it difficult to follow a genius especially if all you have to offer is American Blues music performed by a load of middle class white guys from England. :D
Then you better lump in The Yardbirds, Who, Clapton, Jeff Beck, Led Zeppelin etc., with the Stones too. Probably half the "British Invasion" were White guys playing American Blues music.
Truth is, a lot of those Blues guys benefited from the Brits "ripping off" American Blues music, they had late life 2nd careers playing the UK after their popularity fell off in the States...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 01:07:51 PM by detroitmike »

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: February 17, 2021, 02:56:15 PM »

Then you better lump in The Yardbirds, Who, Clapton, Jeff Beck, Led Zeppelin etc., with the Stones too. Probably half the "British Invasion" were White guys playing American Blues music.
Truth is, a lot of those Blues guys benefited from the Brits "ripping off" American Blues music, they had late life 2nd careers playing the UK after their popularity fell off in the States...

I'm not knocking them for doing it.
Not stuck in the 60's

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: February 17, 2021, 06:22:09 PM »

Then my mistake I must have misunderstood, because " if all you have to offer is American Blues music performed by a load of middle class white guys from England" didn't exactly sound like a compliment to me...

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: February 18, 2021, 12:14:48 PM »

Then my mistake I must have misunderstood, because " if all you have to offer is American Blues music performed by a load of middle class white guys from England" didn't exactly sound like a compliment to me...

Its not. It's just what they do and have done pretty well out of it so fair play.
Not stuck in the 60's