Author Topic: What Are You Currently Listening To?  (Read 616229 times)

Mo

• Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Listening To?
« Reply #2030 on: April 14, 2021, 12:27:44 PM »
Dancing around the front room like a........

https://youtu.be/Gvk7QR2nvjU

One of my favourite SF tracks; it's just a pity it's so short (though this alternative version does seem a little longer!!)

I think this version originally came out on a French ep along with Come on Children and Watcha Gonna do about it.
And my soul has been psychedelicized.

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: April 14, 2021, 12:30:23 PM »
This is well worth a watch. If you're a Dusty fan that is.

https://youtu.be/AjRrXoqdE90

I didn't know she'd done a version of Tina Britt's 'The Real Thing'; I've not heard that before. 

Agree with Rafa, she'd got a great soulful voice as quite a number of tracks on this compilation confirm.

Pretty sure Dusty didn't actually record it though I could be wrong. Good version though. Nice couple of covers of Doodlin and That's how Heartaches are Made are on her second album.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: April 16, 2021, 06:00:23 PM »
Khan Jamal's reissued 1984 "Infinity" on "Jazz Room"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OcmsCe6PY4
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: April 24, 2021, 01:16:57 PM »
Inspired by a book on Brian Jones I've just finished,  I'm listening to Aftermath and On Air back to back.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: April 24, 2021, 05:45:11 PM »
Inspired by a book on Brian Jones I've just finished,  I'm listening to Aftermath and On Air back to back.

"Aftermath" was possibly Brian Jones' major achievement with the Stones, before drugs, lack of self-confidence, personal demons and erratic behavior took the better of him.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: April 24, 2021, 05:55:56 PM »
Khan Jamal's reissued 1984 "Infinity" on "Jazz Room"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OcmsCe6PY4

Mike, you should check out this one, possibly THE jazz reissue of the year (so far):
http://omnivorerecordings.com/shop/metaphysics/
Oddly, in spite of the vinyl's (double, mind you) stratospheric price tag, and the CD not being cheap either, when I got wind of the release, I looked for it at Amazon Spain and unbelievably the CD was on pre-sale for just 6 !! Coming my way now, current cheapest price is 16 (and that's the CD, LP is close to 60   :o

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: April 25, 2021, 10:59:14 AM »

"Aftermath" was possibly Brian Jones' major achievement with the Stones, before drugs, lack of self-confidence, personal demons and erratic behavior took the better of him.
The album shows off. Brian's talent but it certainly has its flaws. High and Dry, Flight 505 and Dontcha Bother Me are very average.

Well, its almost wine o clock so at the moment not entirely sure what I'll be listening to but I'll probably start off with some You Tube videos.
Starting with this, probably my fav Stones 45
https://youtu.be/57FRQ_wCzuc
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 11:12:45 AM by Mo »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: April 25, 2021, 12:10:43 PM »

The album shows off. Brian's talent but it certainly has its flaws. High and Dry, Flight 505 and Dontcha Bother Me are very average.

Well, its almost wine o clock so at the moment not entirely sure what I'll be listening to but I'll probably start off with some You Tube videos.

That's the Stones pushing the boundaires after their unsurpassable, awesome string of 45s of '65 and '66 vintage. I think it was John Savage in his essential 1966 who commented on that single as being almost a step too far towards chaos and debauchery, the Stones at their most perverse/will-we-get-away-with-it? before returning to chart-friendlier fare with "Let's Spend the Night Together" (controversial itself, but a much more commercial proposition). It was their "Tomorrow Never Knows" moment, only in a 45, to add insult to injury.

To me, once discounted the shock factor, "Have you Seen..." sounds somewhat flawed, like a too loaded train derailing. My favourite Stones' 45 of 1966 will always be "19th Nervous Breakdown", the peak of their mysoginist phase.

And regarding "Aftermath", I think if it would have dispensed with some songs (among them, the endless "Going Home"), especially those which refer squarely to their r&b earlier phase, it would have been closer to be their masterpiece. Still is a hell of an album.

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: April 25, 2021, 02:33:14 PM »

That's the Stones pushing the boundaires after their unsurpassable, awesome string of 45s of '65 and '66 vintage. I think it was John Savage in his essential 1966 who commented on that single as being almost a step too far towards chaos and debauchery, the Stones at their most perverse/will-we-get-away-with-it? before returning to chart-friendlier fare with "Let's Spend the Night Together" (controversial itself, but a much more commercial proposition). It was their "Tomorrow Never Knows" moment, only in a 45, to add insult to injury.

To me, once discounted the shock factor, "Have you Seen..." sounds somewhat flawed, like a too loaded train derailing. My favourite Stones' 45 of 1966 will always be "19th Nervous Breakdown", the peak of their mysoginist phase.

And regarding "Aftermath", I think if it would have dispensed with some songs (among them, the endless "Going Home"), especially those which refer squarely to their r&b earlier phase, it would have been closer to be their masterpiece. Still is a hell of an album.

Aftermath could've been a really great album, like Revolver but I suspect they knew what they were doing at the time.
Breakdown is certainly a brilliant single but for some reason, Have you Seen Your Mother will always do it for me. Still don't know who are playing brass on the track.