Author Topic: Off The Peg Shirts  (Read 5331 times)

WayneK

• View Profile
Off The Peg Shirts
« on: April 06, 2013, 04:47:53 AM »
Who is making the best off the peg shirts? 

I've a few from DNA Groove, JtG and Mikkel Rude that are all quite lovely, yet quite different from one another.

Wayne

Red Steve

• ...gettin' long in the tooth.
    • View Profile
Re: Off The Peg Shirts
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:02:51 AM »
I guess it's all down to how you define best. My wife would say my best shirt is the one than irons the easiest. I think you also need to take into account body shape too. Not everyone is stick thin which rule out a lot of off the peg shirts from the makers you've mentioned although Claudio does a comfort fit for the larger gent. Brooks Bros would be another name to throw into the hat, but I've got a couple of Saville Row slim fits (4 for 100) that wash and iron well and look ok too. As I said what's best for one man may not be for someone else, and I did read on here that someone had purchased a couple of Mikkel Rude as they had an offer on and was disappointed. Others said they were excellent....

Diabolik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:14:55 AM »
My wife would say my best shirt is the one than irons the easiest.

You let your wife iron your shirts!
I won't let mine near my shirts :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 08:16:35 AM by Diabolik »

Jonny

• Just joined
    • View Profile
    • Jonny Monk Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 08:35:36 AM »
Almost living in Jump the Gun Oxford shirts at the moment, the fit of all their clothes is spot on for me, without sizing up. Really like DNA's fabrics but unfortunately I don't get on with the fit. TukTuk have a nice fit for a more casual shirt.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 08:46:13 AM »
I have 5 or 6 JUMP THE GUN shirts and although of decent quality, especially the new all cotton gingham ones, I have to go up from 15 1/2 to a 17. I bought one just this week and the guy working there asked me "Do you need a 'real World' 17 neck or a JTG 17?". I bought some lovely shirts in Florida last year from a shop that clearly look upon button-down shirts as 'Old Man's' clothes so they were cheap but very nice indeed. Oxford type things with a box pleat and button on the back of the collar too. I think the best thing is to try and get out there to shops and markets or whatever and try stuff on if you can. Sometimes though you just have to take a flyer at something on-line having asked around which is exactly what you are doing mate so good luck with whatever you end up going for. 

Red Steve

• ...gettin' long in the tooth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 09:37:37 AM »
My wife would say my best shirt is the one than irons the easiest.

You let your wife iron your shirts!
I won't let mine near my shirts :)

;D No mate, my wifes would say that, but she never washes or irons any of my clothes, but if asked that what most women would say isn't it?

simon1967

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 10:13:22 AM »
I bought x3 Brooks Brothers Oxford, Extra Slim Fit, Non-Iron Shirts 18 months ago from their Madison Avenue Store, on a trip to New York, and they are the best Off the peg shirts I have owned in a long while. Still washing well, and they do get ironed  ;)

Am off to San Francisco on Monday, and really wanted to buy a blue 'Made in America' OCBD Extra Slim Fit OCBD in the BB store there. I called them, and they don't have them in the store, and in fact, the blue OCBD is sold out on-line....

The BB Extra Slim Fits have a lovely roll on the collar, and fit a 44 year old with a (Slight!) belly, perfectly  - not tight across the chest, or stomach....  ;)

WayneK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 02:38:08 PM »
I bought x3 Brooks Brothers Oxford, Extra Slim Fit, Non-Iron Shirts 18 months ago from their Madison Avenue Store, on a trip to New York, and they are the best Off the peg shirts I have owned in a long while. Still washing well, and they do get ironed  ;)

Am off to San Francisco on Monday, and really wanted to buy a blue 'Made in America' OCBD Extra Slim Fit OCBD in the BB store there. I called them, and they don't have them in the store, and in fact, the blue OCBD is sold out on-line....

The BB Extra Slim Fits have a lovely roll on the collar, and fit a 44 year old with a (Slight!) belly, perfectly  - not tight across the chest, or stomach....  ;)

Work in New York City currently and was in that store just this week.  While BB is quality, I had thought the extra slim fits collar was a bit small, no?  Seemingly not the same as their others.

I've had a bit of luck with Mike at Watch the Cloth Moth lately.  A few lovely shirts still in the packet.

Wayne

simon1967

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 09:36:54 PM »
The BB Made in America Oxford Cloth Extra Slim Fit's look the same collar as Traditional Fit etc... John Simon's sells these in Slim (for 99), so he obviously approves   ;) I'll let you know if the collars are any different to my Non Iron ones, I've had..  :D

WayneK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 05:12:53 PM »

Tried one on a moment ago. Need a 15.5 neck for a tie, left the rest of the shirt as a tent. Had to check the label and it did say extra slim fit. Would require darts to have a proper fit.