Author Topic: '60s TELEVISION IS A PASSION FOR ME. IS IT FOR YOU TOO?  (Read 8140 times)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
'60s TELEVISION IS A PASSION FOR ME. IS IT FOR YOU TOO?
« on: April 06, 2013, 11:28:54 AM »
My interest in 1960s styles and music go back to my childhood in the 1960s when I shared a room with my teenage Uncle who was a London Mod. I watched him getting ready to go out and checking out his hair and clothes and shoes and stuff so some of that clearly stuck with me and surfaced when I was in my teens in the late '70s. However running alongside all of that was, and still is, a deep love of the television of that period whether it be DR WHO, THE AVENGERS, THE SAINT, BATMAN or THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. to name just a few. Almost regardless of the genre whether it be comedy with things like STEPTOE AND SON or SCI-FI with things like THE OUTER LIMITS they all offer something of a snapshot of life in the 1960s and that in itself is an attraction for me and has been for as long as I can remember. The background music to so many of these shows, particularly the ITC adventure shows and the Gerry Anderson programmes, are superb along with a wonderful glimpse of stylized fashions and designs of the period. Any of the rest of you feel the same or are into these sort of programmes?

madras_seersucker

• Wowsville Baby, Wowsville!
    • View Profile
Re: '60s TELEVISION IS A PASSION FOR ME. IS IT FOR YOU TOO?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 12:03:31 AM »
Definitely! 
Just on disc 7 of the Champions set at the mo.  Love all those 1960's ITV series, Lew Grade was a god I tell ya's!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 02:36:59 PM »
THE CHAMPIONS was a good one. Superb theme from Tony Hatch (He did that fantastic song Gotta Get Away from the opening episode of THE PERSUADERS too with Jackie Trent!) The three leads in the THE CHAMPIONS look great and they all wear some great gear at different times too. Same goes for stuff like MAN IN A SUITCASE. Not what could be called Mod by any stretch but all those guys wore slick smart outfits from casual suede zip up jackets, corduroy Levis jackets, roll neck sweaters to sharp tailored suits or whatever. ADAM ADAMANT LIVES! is a brilliant BBC show from that same period and the female lead rides a scooter and there are some great shots of her around London in pursuit of other characters or being chased and stuff.   

mr_duderino

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 04:21:18 PM »
my box sets focus on 60s british spy series.  The saint (Rog), the persuaders (ok 70s), The Prisoner, that kind of thing
Mrs Peel....Were needed.

dedicatedmod

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »
My favourite ITC shows are from the late 60s/early 70s (Department S, Jason King and The Persuaders).

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 06:21:20 PM »
All great shows and faves of mine. DEPARTMENT S has Joel Fabiani in some lovely clobber. THE PERSUADERS! is a class show as well. Obviously 1970s but for me that is not a worry. Love THE SWEENEY too and stuff like SPECIAL BRANCH as well again because of the snap-shots of London life sort of thing. in THE PRISONER McGoohan wore those lovely Smedley turtle necks and in the opening episode, before he is given the piped blazer and beige trousers, has a beautiful suit and 3 button sea island cotton top and looks just the business.

mr_duderino

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 08:04:41 PM »
bought "danger man" on the strength of the prisoner (its rumoured to be the prequel)  struggled to get very far with it in all honesty
Mrs Peel....Were needed.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 06:48:48 PM »
bought "danger man" on the strength of the prisoner (its rumoured to be the prequel)  struggled to get very far with it in all honesty

The "Danger Man" link is the location - Portmeirion.

Yin episode ay Danger man wis filmed there n' that's whit gave McGoohan the whole "Village" idea tae set The Prisoner in.

The Avengers n' the auld Batman series ur the pick ay the 60s stuff fur me, tho' speakin' as somebody wha' actually had part ay ma childhood in the 60s - the telly schedules wur flooded wi' Western series if ah mind correctly.

mr_duderino

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 07:32:02 PM »
i beleive there are fans out there that argue this point back and fore, about Danger Man (John Drake) and #6 being the same person.
Mrs Peel....Were needed.

southlondongent

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 01:33:58 PM »
Yep, the Avengers is my all-time favourite show, bar none.  Perfect acting, writing, direction, music etc.  Today's TV may be more 'sophisticated' (which is a matter of opinion, you could say the same for music) but if I had to have a desert island show it would be this.

Love all of the ITC shows as well.  They were made as films on 35mm, with proper British film directors from Ealing, Hammer etc., which is partly why they still stand up today.  It's a shame the b/w Saint isn't shown on TV as in many ways it is superior to the colour episodes.

Not yet mentioned: Randall and Hopkirk Deceased, UFO, the Baron (unfairly maligned as a 2nd rate Saint, it's worth watching for Sue Lloyd alone).  And not British but a great show all the same...Get Smart!