Author Topic: to Harrington or not to Harrington  (Read 34476 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: to Harrington or not to Harrington
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2019, 03:15:46 PM »
Valid observations both. My point was more about impersonation not being a particularly Mod characteristic.  There is little doubt, in my mind, that the ubiquitous tartan lined G9 analogues to be found on market stalls the high street are cynically copying features and aspects of Baracutaís brand. 

Sartorial authenticity isnít about wearing expensive clothing, itís about wearing clothing that is genuine and purports to nothing more than what it is.  I guess this is what irks me about the tartan lined Harringtons that use a tartan other than Fraser. Strikes me as almost parasitic. A bit like the Aldi model of grocery retail in which approximations of leading brands fill the shelves. Perfectly lawful but just not cricket to these tired eyes. By all means make an affordable, quality Harrington but does it really need to have a predominantly red tartan lining?

I think it is entirely possible and laudable to build a stylish Mod look on a budget. Heaven knows, with a young family to support, thatís been my default approach for many years.

Valid points all of them, A. I see now your quibble has more to do with the specific tartan lining of the cheap Baracuta clones than anything else, and that shows, if nothing else, the obsessive attention to detail that most here share to a certain degree. I was talking about a different issue: the various takes avilables on the original Baracuta design, not the unashamed zero-quality copies of the G9.

Yes thatís it exactly. Itís quite a cross to bear as once you get an eye for Fraser tartan, anything else on a Harrington is impossible to ignore. At the risk of over-sharing in my debut forum debate, this may be a tad closer to borderline OCD than I had fully appreciated 😉. Donít get me started on people wearing remembrance poppies after 11th November......

Well, it's like the fellas that leave poor Santa hanging from their windows/balconies past spring!

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2019, 05:55:30 PM »

Own a Baracuta harrington in "acorn green".

Wis a TK Maxx purchase a few years ago noo.

No convinced the quality is any better than other brands sellin' fur half the RRP.

Grenfell harringtons n' golf jaikets ur superior.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2019, 09:36:52 AM »

Own a Baracuta harrington in "acorn green".

Wis a TK Maxx purchase a few years ago noo.

No convinced the quality is any better than other brands sellin' fur half the RRP.

Grenfell harringtons n' golf jaikets ur superior.

It had to be green!!!  ;D ;)

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2019, 09:39:34 AM »
I have a bottle green Ben Sherman and a cream Baracuta that I got less than half price a couple of years back (wouldn't pay full whack). Spring/autumn scooter jacket of choice, though I'm regretting that somewhat as a roadside clutch cable change resulted in a nasty oil stain on the Baracuta about a week before I garaged the stallion for the winter! I'm pretty sure that's the jacket f**ked, but if anyone has any tips......

FFS big man , l'd be buying some reputable stain remover , like Vanish (other products are available) . It might even be worth going on Yout*be and finding a video about removing oil/dirt fae a jaiket . Personally , l have had great results with bicarbonate of soda . Might be worth soaking in the bicarb' before getting it into the washing machine. .

. .alternatively , you could go along to your local , reputable drycleaners and give them the problem. .

Did try Vanish, Mr B, but to no avail. My mum also suggested bicarb, so I'll give that a bash next. Cheers for the tip! The LFE on this is take your jacket off before attempting roadside repairs, even if it is pissing down (which invariably it will be when you break down!).
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

Corduroy Underground

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2019, 10:33:54 AM »
Stain Devils are pretty good. Stain Devil #3 is oil  I think. Though tbh it might be more a case of them reducing a stain, fading it to less eye-catching levels than completely eliminating it.

DrGonzo2411

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2019, 12:27:43 PM »
Stain Devils are pretty good. Stain Devil #3 is oil  I think. Though tbh it might be more a case of them reducing a stain, fading it to less eye-catching levels than completely eliminating it.

Made a note of that, mate, cheers

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2019, 01:39:51 PM »
I have a bottle green Ben Sherman and a cream Baracuta that I got less than half price a couple of years back (wouldn't pay full whack). Spring/autumn scooter jacket of choice, though I'm regretting that somewhat as a roadside clutch cable change resulted in a nasty oil stain on the Baracuta about a week before I garaged the stallion for the winter! I'm pretty sure that's the jacket f**ked, but if anyone has any tips......

FFS big man , l'd be buying some reputable stain remover , like Vanish (other products are available) . It might even be worth going on Yout*be and finding a video about removing oil/dirt fae a jaiket . Personally , l have had great results with bicarbonate of soda . Might be worth soaking in the bicarb' before getting it into the washing machine. .

. .alternatively , you could go along to your local , reputable drycleaners and give them the problem. .

Did try Vanish, Mr B, but to no avail. My mum also suggested bicarb, so I'll give that a bash next. Cheers for the tip! The LFE on this is take your jacket off before attempting roadside repairs, even if it is pissing down (which invariably it will be when you break down!).

No problem,  Doc. .

LFE - LAMINAR FLOW ELEMENT??
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

DrGonzo2411

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2019, 02:08:22 PM »

No problem,  Doc. .

To quote Roy Walker "it's a good answer, but it's not right"!! LFE is Learning From Experience  ;)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2019, 06:01:22 PM »

To quote Roy Walker "it's a good answer, but it's not right"!! LFE is Learning From Experience  ;)
[/quote]

That's the only drawback of English being so concise and laconic a language: the abuse of acronyms  ;D. It's ideal for pop lyrics, though

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2020, 12:45:14 AM »
Whit dae folk hink ay this as a possible Harrington alternative?

https://www.wolfandbadger.com/uk/tela-tencel-golf-jacket/

Has impeccable GREEN credentials.    ;D