Author Topic: How accurate was Quadrophenia?  (Read 21379 times)

floydie_hammer

• Just joined
    • View Profile
How accurate was Quadrophenia?
« on: March 12, 2013, 01:43:58 PM »
Sadly i wasn't around when the film was set but i was wondering how accurate people thought it was.

I liked the way it showed a key part of being a mod was that you still had your own dress style to look a bit different, not like fads these days when everyone has to wear exactly the same item.

I guess the makers had plenty of people they could use to give them advice on it, but were there any slip ups?

beatroute66

• I Was Charles Hawtrey's Valet...
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: How accurate was Quadrophenia?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 08:55:23 PM »
I liked the way it showed a key part of being a mod was that you still had your own dress style to look a bit different, not like fads these days when everyone has to wear exactly the same item.

Though, irony of ironies, a lot of the blokes dress the same as one another in the film.

It's fun as an 'angst teen' film and as a heavy-fisted way to look at schizophrenia via a film inspired by a 70s rock album, but as a 'mod' film it has many, many failings for me.

I'm one of the few in this community that would probably rather listen to the record than watch the film.

tommc666

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 10:30:30 PM »
I'm one of the few in this community that would probably rather listen to the record than watch the film.

I'd rather not listen to it or watch it.  :D

mr_duderino

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 09:33:18 PM »
awww.  i like it.  be nice.  although in terms of stylistic inspirations i would hope i owe more to the italian job, Ipcress, Uncle rog's saint, or uncle seans bond.  probably not though  ;)
Mrs Peel....Were needed.

Red Steve

• ...gettin' long in the tooth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 11:51:43 PM »

That'll be the same for me. Far better films and loads of better albums out there (in my opinion that is). :)

Becky_Moffitt_83

• Mod Goddess... enough said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 06:24:16 AM »

That'll be the same for me. Far better films and loads of better albums out there (in my opinion that is). :)

I wasn't born in 1964, 1973 or 1979 or even in the UK for that matter and I certainly didn't get into the Mod culture via Quadrophenia. Sure I identified with some aspects/themes - not fitting in with people, expressing my individualism, etc - but it was hardly the epicentre of Mod to me. I got into Mod via Britpop, but I'm not saying that was Mod either.
“The fashionable woman wears clothes. The clothes don't wear her.” Mary Quant

mr_duderino

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 04:25:35 PM »
if you werent born till 83 you mustve come pretty close to missing Brit pop as well!
Mrs Peel....Were needed.

Becky_Moffitt_83

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 09:35:31 AM »
if you werent born till 83 you mustve come pretty close to missing Brit pop as well!

May have missed the early stuff around 1991, 92 etc, but got into it from about 1996-1998 at it's height, tbh.

mr_duderino

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 11:00:08 AM »
What year was Definitly Maybe released?  94?  I really think of that as the approx starting point of Britpop - at least by name.   and pretty much the end of any chance of picking up a vintage tracky top in a charity shop for 50p.  obvious you can argue its roots existed in bands like suede, or even the smiths, but im pretty sure we called those Indie at the time.  mind you I was in Bristol at the time, and that can put you slightly off the pace with whats going on in the big london place, as it dances to a slightly different tune.  Did you watch "mad fat diary" on E4 - comedy-drama set during the mid 90s and following a group of teenage music fans.  it was good for its cultural references.  even if they were slightly less than chronilogical in places.

sorry.  total tangent.  as you were!
Mrs Peel....Were needed.

Becky_Moffitt_83

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 12:02:19 PM »
Huh?

I live in Australia. How could I have watched something like that?!