Author Topic: Freds Threads  (Read 5183 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Freds Threads
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2020, 04:48:26 PM »
My favourite it the "Designed in" tag.  ;D

I have a few pairs of Meermin shoes. That’s “Meermin MALLORCA”. It’s even in their name. They’ve got a representative popping up on Styleforum doing PR for them and he was asked straight out where their stuff was made and if it qualified for made in Spain. Fella ‘fessed up they are made in Shanghai!!

Meermin aren't cheap for starters. And it's just right they shoud be ashamed of taking their manufacturing offshore, as Majorca has been a traditional Spanish footwear-making hub since a couple centuries ago, besides Alicante, Huelva and Albacete. In fact I know cheaper footwear brands that have nothing to envy to Meermin quality-wise and are manufacturing here.

Anyway, as Mike points out, not everything that comes from China is badly made, and I guess work conditions and wages, while far from Europe/USA's standards, vary from workplace to workplace. But as Chinese laws are surely "lax" (to put it mildly) regarding that, somewhat it's up to the foreing companies to improve them.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2020, 04:52:52 PM »

Anyway back on topic - I really like that button through polo top. $150 in American. Not sure I like it that much for the few wearings per year I’d get out of it. Fred Perry seems to have elevated it’s pricing far above its value to me. Same with that cycling shirt they recently brought out, over $200. I can’t remember when they have their sales but I’ll probably wait and take a chance on seeing something then rather than lash out full price on these things.

Rod, they do the usual twice-a-year sales, June and January. But check out their "Back Catalogue" department, kind of an oulet with, as a friend put it, the prices they should have charged initially.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2020, 05:31:42 PM »
Fair point, Mike, and I plead guilty as anyone. Truth is, like Simon and you, I'm much more conscious nowadays and most of the stuff I buy is EU made, but I still go for made in China , Uniqlo or H&M or whatever, basics.

I don't mind paying a bit more either, but you'll have to admit, guys, that the "made in..." tag has become an excuse for certain brands to charge ridiculous prices.

Only speaking for myself, but I try to avoid buying goods made in sweatshops, or paying high end prices for items you just know are being made for pennies, and then the Label is pocketing a huge profit.
Don't get me wrong GS, I shop Uniqlo, maybe more than I should. The quality is there. China can turn out quality products.
And sometimes (as Rod points out) you can't avoid it.
But it's not  "political" for me.
Case in point: a few years ago, an un-named American clothing brand sold trousers for $139.00 Made in Canada, switched manufacturing to Asia, STILL charged $139.00... Guaranteed they're now paying a fraction for having those pants made, so the excess profit goes to the Execs, not the workers. 
I don't mind paying more for an item, if I know the person making it is paid a fair wage, with benefits in a non exploiting workplace.
It certainly sounds politcal , Mike. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2020, 09:37:57 PM »

I have a few pairs of Meermin shoes. That’s “Meermin MALLORCA”. It’s even in their name. They’ve got a representative popping up on Styleforum doing PR for them and he was asked straight out where their stuff was made and if it qualified for made in Spain. Fella ‘fessed up they are made in Shanghai!!

I've actually caught Retailers cutting off the "Made in China" tags.

I’ve bought loads of shirts for work over the last several years from Charles Tyrwhitt, who if I remember right even has a store front on Jermyn Street. Try finding a “made in ...” label on their gear! Despite their outward Jermyn Street credentials I think it’s pretty much accepted that their stuff is made in China.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2020, 12:38:55 AM »

I've actually caught Retailers cutting off the "Made in China" tags.

I’ve bought loads of shirts for work over the last several years from Charles Tyrwhitt, who if I remember right even has a store front on Jermyn Street. Try finding a “made in ...” label on their gear! Despite their outward Jermyn Street credentials I think it’s pretty much accepted that their stuff is made in China.

99.9% sure if there's NO tag stating where it's made, that's where it's made. And if you don't want your customers knowing that, stop doing it. ;D
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2020, 04:16:19 PM »
Initials B.B.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2020, 07:48:34 PM »
I guess they sorta list it here;

http://ctshirts-us.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/249/~/country-of-origin

Pretty much explains it . I used to get work shirts from them , their stuff is good quality and the fit improved a few years ago but it would be good to know exactly what gets farmed oot tae China. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2020, 12:12:02 PM »

Pretty much explains it . I used to get work shirts from them , their stuff is good quality and the fit improved a few years ago but it would be good to know exactly what gets farmed oot tae China. .

I've got a shirt by them, which is decent quality, and some nice silk ties

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2020, 05:03:03 PM »

I've got a shirt by them, which is decent quality, and some nice silk ties

I've a few ties, and a couple of coats from them, Don't care much for the "spread collar" dress shirts though. Quality is good, and it's reasonably priced. Like I said, China turns out some quality items. I just resent paying "Italian/English/US" prices for stuff you know is being for pennies.
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2021, 11:41:37 AM »
Seems FP have turned once again to cycling gear for inspiration. Not bad, but not entirely convincing either (that chevron for instance looks misplaced). At least, not being part of the Reissues range, the new pieces aren't ridiculously pricey (still overpriced):