Author Topic: Talking Pictures TV  (Read 11442 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Talking Pictures TV
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2021, 11:53:27 AM »

Makes you wonder where the Small Faces would have went with decent management, say something like Lambert and Stamp  .

Well, even with a dubious handler like Don Arden at the helm they did quite well. Same goes for their later Andrew Loog Oldham/Immediate phase, they were a successful act from every way you look at it. A different issue is if they were rewarded accordingly: https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/14499/small-faces/

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2021, 05:15:28 PM »

Makes you wonder where the Small Faces would have went with decent management, say something like Lambert and Stamp  .

Well, even with a dubious handler like Don Arden at the helm they did quite well. Same goes for their later Andrew Loog Oldham/Immediate phase, they were a successful act from every way you look at it. A different issue is if they were rewarded accordingly: https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/14499/small-faces/

One of the biggest issues for the lads was that they never made any money or rather were not paid accordingly leading in later years to Ronnie Lane living in a caravan at the bottom of Townsends garden.  .
LET'S GO BRANDON!!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2021, 10:58:46 AM »

One of the biggest issues for the lads was that they never made any money or rather were not paid accordingly leading in later years to Ronnie Lane living in a caravan at the bottom of Townsends garden.  .

That's rock business for ye, Simon! It seems Stevie didn't learn the lesson first time around, as he was ripped off again later by Humble Pie managers  :(

Mo

• Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2021, 11:20:21 AM »
Up the Junction returns on Saturday I think.
And my soul has been psychedelicized.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2021, 03:00:58 PM »
Kitchen sink drama , named after Lahndahn slang fur " its all gone Pete Tong' . I don't know  if l could watch Dennis Waterman with a straight face anymore having watched him in Minder and then seeing him lampooned for years on LB. 🙃🤪
LET'S GO BRANDON!!

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2021, 05:50:02 PM »
Kitchen sink drama , named after Lahndahn slang fur " its all gone Pete Tong' . I don't know  if l could watch Dennis Waterman with a straight face anymore having watched him in Minder and then seeing him lampooned for years on LB. 🙃🤪

I liked Little Britain but I thought the Waterman thing wasn't particularly funny but still.......
Have the film but I'm recording it anyway. Nice soundtrack.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2021, 05:58:24 PM »

I liked Little Britain but I thought the Waterman thing wasn't particularly funny but still.......

The Mike d'Abo lineup of MM has been routinely -and lazily- dismissed as a crafty lightweight pop outfit with no serious musical substance behind, but it couldn't be further from the truth: not only the "bland" pop material included some classy Dylan covers, also the B sides of the 45s and the handful of LPs they did (including "Up the Junction") are crammed with adventurous and well-crafted psych tracks as well as their trademark atmospheric blues-jazz tunes.

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2021, 06:02:35 PM »

The Mike d'Abo lineup of MM has been routinely -and lazily- dismissed as a crafty lightweight pop outfit with no serious musical substance behind, but it couldn't be further from the truth: not only the "bland" pop material included some classy Dylan covers, also the B sides of the 45s and the handful of LPs they did (including "Up the Junction") are crammed with adventurous and well-crafted psych tracks as well as their trademark atmospheric blues-jazz tunes.

I actually prefer the later line up of the Manfreds, RAFA. Some great 45s there and interesting album tracks especially from As Is. Underrated.

Nice little short vid. Seen the bloke who looks like 66 Bowie?

https://youtu.be/jmKuBmqvk_g
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 06:35:45 PM by Mo »

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2021, 08:25:14 PM »
I think the we have 2 different Manfred's basically . I think 'As Is' is a great album and l aquired it on vinyl back in the day . The original Manfreds are good too and made some superb 6ts pop records  but l think Paul Jones became a bit of a prima donna ( by the time he formed The Blues Band he was single handedly keeping MaxFactor in business) and D'Abo came in at the right time . I liked the off shoots when the D'Abo era finally wound up though I never really got into the Earth Band , even if Manfred did remain an undisputed talent.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2021, 10:15:11 AM »
( by the time he formed The Blues Band he was single handedly keeping MaxFactor in business)

;D

Yep, two different bands but if you look at it carefully the changes were more cosmetic than essential. The replacement of Jones by D'Abo and the other lineup changes that shook the band through '66 showed that the core members were unsure about what direction they should follow. Even for some months they were the soul-jazz band that Manfred envisioned from the beginning as the ideal to aspire (the Henry Lowther, Jack Bruce lineup). At last, a compromise was reached that in essence wasn't that different than what came before: solid pop 45s and mild experimentation in LPs and B-sides.

What made the real difference were the vocalists and the prevalent musical trends: D'Abo sounded poppier, less distinctive than Jones and psychedelia was now the rage. So a jazzy r&b band gave place to a pop-jazz one.

Regarding Manfred Mann's Chapter Three, they were Manfred's answer to the new progressive trend. Their two LPs are among the best of the era, as jazzy, even funk, elements displace the more pompous and symphonic leanings of other bands. Add to that some inspired songwriting by Mike Hugg. The Earth Band followed that path but with diminishing interest (to me).