Author Topic: RIP Spencer Davis  (Read 1408 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Spencer Davis
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 06:18:10 AM »
Loved the Spencer Davis group , great sound and iconic at the time . A very good friend of mine , Larry , had the privilege of supporting them back in the day and he also shared a half bottle of whisky with Stevie Winwood ,
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 07:51:18 AM »
Surprised there hasn't been more comments on this to be honest.

One of the first British RnB bands' music I explored early in my Mod journey.  Here's a couple of my SDG favourites, ranging from the Booker T inspired Trampoline - https://youtu.be/J_ryzsCOHkc through to the blue-eyed soul of Every Little Bit Hurts - https://youtu.be/qM4WLwa-rIw

RIP Spencer

Becky_Moffitt_83

• Mod Goddess... enough said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 10:08:37 AM »
Absolute legend. Another R&B, blued-eyed soul hero gone.  :'(
“The fashionable woman wears clothes. The clothes don't wear her.” Mary Quant

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 11:20:07 AM »
Sad loss, and I agree with most of the comments: one of my teen's prized "discoveries" (via the '67 Island comp) and one of the best British r&b bands ever. As a mate stated, "he was 81 and lived a good life, as far as we know", RIP Spencer.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 07:40:36 PM »
Last line ay that obit is true Spencer Davis Group p1ssed aw ower Traffic.

Continued tae make some fine recordings even after Winwood had left.

RIP

Robin_Wick

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 09:10:59 PM »
Love ‘trampoline’!

So many favourites - superb singles band, so many fantastic instrumentals on the flip, fusing jazz, blues and soul

Real soft spot for their later uk psych 45 ‘After Tea’ as well

Super band, and terribly sad news

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 10:00:52 AM »
Great band, iconic almost, the opening few bars of "I'm a Man" are instantly recognisable to anyone with even a passing interest in music. And I'd echo what Laird said re the last line of the obit; Winwood might have had more commercial success when he left, but artistically SDG were streets ahead of the likes of Traffic. RIP Mr Davis
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 10:52:02 AM »
Not denying the merits of the post-Winwood SDG incarnation, I think the true outstanding talent of the band was Stevie Winwood, and stating Traffic never reached the artistic heights of the previous band is risky, to say the least, Nick. First Traffic LP and John Barleycorn must die are cornerstones of British rock, as key at least as the "Gimme some lovin" and "I'm a man" (to a lesser extent, "Keep on runnin'") 45s to the Brit pop canon.

Spencer Davis had a good eye to choose frontmen (Eddie Hardin wasn't Steve Winwood by any means but had his own talents) but when all is said and done, and with due respect to Spencer, frontmen are who determine the artistic status of a band.

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 11:16:26 AM »
Not denying the merits of the post-Winwood SDG incarnation, I think the true outstanding talent of the band was Stevie Winwood, and stating Traffic never reached the artistic heights of the previous band is risky, to say the least, Nick. First Traffic LP and John Barleycorn must die are cornerstones of British rock, as key at least as the "Gimme some lovin" and "I'm a man" (to a lesser extent, "Keep on runnin'") 45s to the Brit pop canon.

Spencer Davis had a good eye to choose frontmen (Eddie Hardin wasn't Steve Winwood by any means but had his own talents) but when all is said and done, and with due respect to Spencer, frontmen are who determine the artistic status of a band.

All about opinions, Rafa. I'm not knocking Traffic, far from it but, for me, SDG was Winwood's pinnacle. Certainly agree re frontmen; you can have all the virtuosos you want in a band, but if your frontman is crap.........
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot