Author Topic: The Downbeat  (Read 1932 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: The Downbeat
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 06:11:13 PM »
Ordered it this morning and saw you were in it haha!

Looks great, excited to read it.

Zines really are making a comeback - this month alone there's a new issue of Heavy Soul, Sharpen Up is back, subba culture seems set to produce another issue, and the skin fanzine Spirit of 69 published a book on key skinhead fanzines past and present

Lots to read!

8)

Agree with you, Robin: it looks like people -at least middle aged people  ;D- want to cling on to the physical format for reading too, a bit like the resurgence of vinyl. A funny videoclip got viral here aping a tv commercial portraying the book as the perfect reading and info storage system, and it made you think. I'm sure that internet, e-readers and books can coexist, and they'll do, without one removing the other; same with magazines or fanzines, of course.

Mo

• Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2021, 01:15:17 PM »
My copy arrived about a hour ago. Look forward to reading it.
And my soul has been psychedelicized.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 05:42:55 PM »

Cheers, Mo. A bit amateurish as a publication, tbh, compared with efforts like "Detail" (that was put together by people in the trade and taking much more time, which shows), but contents are pretty interesting, especially first hand accounts of original modernists and a healthy provincial bias, with a fresh look at the Newcastle scene of the 60s. For me it was a pleasure to contribute (and I'll hopefully keep doing it in upcoming numbers!), as I admire the passion and work the promoters are putting into divulgating their own hometown mod legacy.

Mo

• Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 10:55:23 AM »

Cheers, Mo. A bit amateurish as a publication, tbh, compared with efforts like "Detail" (that was put together by people in the trade and taking much more time, which shows), but contents are pretty interesting, especially first hand accounts of original modernists and a healthy provincial bias, with a fresh look at the Newcastle scene of the 60s. For me it was a pleasure to contribute (and I'll hopefully keep doing it in upcoming numbers!), as I admire the passion and work the promoters are putting into divulgating their own hometown mod legacy.

I thought the read was OK but it's the first issue and I'm sure it will improve. One thing I didn't get was an article by a artist called Emmie. I'm sure she's very good but..........
The John Hellier interview was very good.
And my soul has been psychedelicized.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2021, 12:14:05 PM »

I thought the read was OK but it's the first issue and I'm sure it will improve. One thing I didn't get was an article by a artist called Emmie. I'm sure she's very good but..........
The John Hellier interview was very good.

That Emmie thing...  ;D. It's so at odds with the rest... That's Jools (the editor in-chief) indulging in her The Cure passion, but I agree with you, it should have been edited out. I also hope it gets better, there's room for it.

Robin_Wick

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2021, 03:54:28 PM »
Enjoyed it! Decent first issue

The local slant definitely gives it something different, looking forward to reading more.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2021, 05:58:35 PM »
Enjoyed it! Decent first issue

The local slant definitely gives it something different, looking forward to reading more.

Glad you enjoyed it, Robin! They're also compiling a book about Newcastle's premier mod haunt, the Club a Go Go (it even merited an Animals' song! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Uf7AbRUDQ), due later this year, and it's likely to be a good 'un, as they have manage to locate a lot of 60s Club a Go Go punters through their Facebook group, so it'll be all firsthand accounts about one of the liveliest mod scenes of the UK. 

Becky_Moffitt_83

• Mod Goddess... enough said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2021, 11:29:01 AM »
Ordered my copy of Downbeat... Look forward to reading the Mikey Tenner article, especially!
“The fashionable woman wears clothes. The clothes don't wear her.” Mary Quant

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 05:15:23 PM »
Ordered my copy of Downbeat... Look forward to reading the Mikey Tenner article, especially!

Cheers, Becky, hope you enjoy my humble contribution too!  ;)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2021, 06:50:14 PM »
Just for you, Becky, mr. Tenner savouring the Downbeat: