Author Topic: The Blue Millionaire - Alan Fletcher  (Read 226 times)

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
The Blue Millionaire - Alan Fletcher
« on: September 04, 2021, 03:44:56 PM »
Another book ticked off the 'wants' list 😉.

I've been after this book for years but have refused to buy it previously because of the ridiculous prices being asked on EBay and Amazon.

This is actually the third and last book in the 'Mod Crop' trilogy written by Alan Fletcher in the mid/late 1990s.  I bought the first two books direct from the author's publishing company when they were originally published but, for reasons I can't now remember, I didn't buy this book when it was released.

I'd not thought much about it until about 10 years ago when I decided to complete the set, but it was difficult to find anywhere selling the book. The few people or companies selling were quoting ridiculous prices (100+ for a second hand copy), so I left it.  Over the years I've restarted my search for a copy on a few separate occasions, only to find the same few individuals or companies still trying to sell their copy(ies) for the same extortionate prices.

To cut a long story short (are you sure Chilli 😀) my most recent search found a copy advertised for a more reasonable 25.  It's still more than I wanted to pay for a copy but I decided I probably wouldn't get it any cheaper so bit the bullet and bought it. And it arrived in the post this morning.

I'm still awaiting receipt of Smiler's Scorcha book (should be here next week), but after that I don't think I'll be buying any further books for a while as I've now got loads to read.  I just need to make the time to read them 😁.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: The Blue Millionaire - Alan Fletcher
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 07:27:01 PM »

I've been after this book for years but have refused to buy it previously because of the ridiculous prices being asked on EBay and Amazon.

This is actually the third and last book in the 'Mod Crop' trilogy written by Alan Fletcher in the mid/late 1990s.  I bought the first two books direct from the author's publishing company when they were originally published but, for reasons I can't now remember, I didn't buy this book when it was released.

I'd not thought much about it until about 10 years ago when I decided to complete the set, but it was difficult to find anywhere selling the book. The few people or companies selling were quoting ridiculous prices (100+ for a second hand copy), so I left it.  Over the years I've restarted my search for a copy on a few separate occasions, only to find the same few individuals or companies still trying to sell their copy(ies) for the same extortionate prices.

To cut a long story short (are you sure Chilli 😀) my most recent search found a copy advertised for a more reasonable 25.  It's still more than I wanted to pay for a copy but I decided I probably wouldn't get it any cheaper so bit the bullet and bought it. And it arrived in the post this morning.

I'm still awaiting receipt of Smiler's Scorcha book (should be here next week), but after that I don't think I'll be buying any further books for a while as I've now got loads to read.  I just need to make the time to read them 😁.

Well, result (sort of  ;)), Paul! Is the book -the trilogy in fact- worth of the spending? Please, report back when reading. I'm not sure that "mod fiction" works for me, I've read a couple Jason Disley novels and they're entertaining enough stuff but I've never felt compelled to dig further.

Oh, and it would be interesting to know your impressions about Smiler's book, still undecided about that one. TBH, original mods are of more interest to me than their successors.

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 04:49:56 PM »

Well, result (sort of  ;)), Paul! Is the book -the trilogy in fact- worth of the spending? Please, report back when reading. I'm not sure that "mod fiction" works for me, I've read a couple Jason Disley novels and they're entertaining enough stuff but I've never felt compelled to dig further.

Oh, and it would be interesting to know your impressions about Smiler's book, still undecided about that one. TBH, original mods are of more interest to me than their successors.

Rafa, like you, I very rarely read Mod fiction, in fact 'The Mod Crop' trilogy are the only books in that genre that I own. 

To be honest, it's probably not worth the amount I've paid to complete the set, however I think my mod OCD has got the better of me on this occasion 😁.  I'll certainly report back once I get around to reading them.

I've read good reviews of Smiler's book, but to be honest I wasn't expecting anything else.  Whilst the original skinheads/suedes/smoothies, whatever way you want to describe them, don't hold the same interest to me as the original (and revival!!) mods do, there's sufficient interest for me to buy Smiler's book.  If it was written by someone else I doubt I would have bought it to be honest.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 09:54:01 AM by Chilli »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 06:47:36 PM »

Rafa, like you, I very rarely read Mod fiction, in fact 'The Mod Crop' trilogy are the only books in that genre that I own. 

To be honest, it's probably not worth the amount I've paid to complete the set, however I think my mod OCD has got the better of me on this occasion 😁.  I'll certainly report back once I get around to reading them.

I've read good reviews of Smiler's book, but to be honest I wasn't expecting anything else.  Whilst the original skinheads/suedes/smoothies, whatever way you want to describe them, don't hold the same interest to me as the original (and revival!!) mods do, there's sufficient interest for me to buy Smiler's book.  If it was written by someone else I doubt I would have bought it to be honest.

I agree, Paul, Smiler's signature is in itself a guarantee of a serious and thorough research and a well-illustrated/laid out, quality product. Still not sure, though...